doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bushmaster This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/28/17 03:04 AM
Not a double
But this pristine May 1931 Remington 17 was only $399 in March 2017, and IMHO a "fine firearm" worth posting
It is so light and nimble it's making me think I want a 20 gauge SXS

Posted By: Last Dollar Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/28/17 03:17 AM
Nice!
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/28/17 03:41 AM
The 17 is a the tits of pump guns! I have 2, a field grade 2 barrel set, both numbered to the gun and a 17E which has been posted here before and, no guys, I haven't done a thing with it. Ted should chime in, he's a big fan of the M17.

Did you buy the above gun?
Posted By: Bushmaster Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/28/17 03:57 AM
Quote:
Did you buy the above gun?

Yes. I was on a business trip out of state and with 5 hours to kill before the flight home I took a detour to a local gun shop before returning the rental car. Shop owner was helpful and shipped to FFL in my home state for a moderate fee that barely covered costs.

I am waiting to pattern with target shot to see where it hits and then take it to the trap range.
Posted By: RedofTx Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/28/17 04:08 AM
Over the years, many here have extolled this little pump. So about 4yrs ago I found one. I have loved it. Plain grip, ribbed forend, orig. UMC buttplate, ser# BO18xxx. It's a keeper!
Posted By: ed good Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/28/17 05:50 AM
certainly my favorite pump gon...

yours is a beauty...
Posted By: KY Jon Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/28/17 01:10 PM
Ithaca sold a lot of them with a slightly changed design under the model 37 designation. The 17 like the later 37 was not easy to make with all the machining required. But as a smooth pump gun it is a pleasure to shoot.
Posted By: Researcher Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/28/17 02:34 PM
Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co., Inc. must have made a lot of Model 17s before the gun was introduced on the market in the first Remington Arms Co., Inc. catalog --

In a move to rid it of debt and excess plant capacity from The Great War, Remington Arms Co., Inc. was founded on May 24, 1920, and Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co., Inc. was officially dissolved on August 11, 1920.

From its introduction circa 1920/21 to 1929, the Model 17A "Standard" Grade had a plain stock and ringed forearm. When Remington went from the Model 10 to the Model 29 for their 12-gauge pump, the Model 29A "Standard" Grade got a checkered stock and forearm and so did the Model 17A --

and the Model 11A. The Model 17 was built for 2 3/4 inch shells from the get go and came in four barrel lengths -- 26-, 28-, 30- and 32-inch in plain or with a solid rib milled integral with the barrel. Capt. E.C. Crossman in his 1923 book Gun and Rifle Facts For the Novice and the Expert praised the new 20-gauge pump made in all four barrel lengths and for 2 3/4 inch shells and bad mouthed the 20-gauge pump from that other company that only took 2 1/2 inch shells and didn't come with barrels longer then 28-inch.
Posted By: bsteele Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/28/17 04:23 PM
I picked up an early unmarked 17 on gunbroker a few months ago, SN BO114. It has a checkered half pistol grip. I've never seen one with that grip? I'll post pictures later

Rob, did we meet at Tulsa and not know it?
Posted By: LeFusil Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/28/17 04:23 PM
Great shotgun. True classic.
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/28/17 05:01 PM
That's a great gun good job!
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/28/17 05:01 PM
Originally Posted By: bsteele
Rob, did we meet at Tulsa and not know it?

I have not been to Tulsa....

Rob
Posted By: bsteele Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/28/17 06:51 PM
Ok - I had 2 17's on my table and a guy stopped by and looked them over pretty close. He told me he had a 2 barrel set numbers matching field gun. Can't be too many of those running around.

Great gun on the original post too! That is just the way you want to find them!
Posted By: John Roberts Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/28/17 08:59 PM
Two thumbs up on this one, Bushmaster. I love that gun.
JR
Posted By: GLS Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/28/17 09:02 PM
Very nice condition, wood and a steal of a price.
I bought my copy on September 17th, of 1977 for 50 whole dollars. It came from my late Father's deer hunting partner, a man I believe is still living and in his mid 90s. That would have been bait collecting money, I dug worms and caught crickets for pocket money when I was a kid. Mine had a cut stock, with about a 3" extension, and a hard-as-a-rock Pachmeyer pad on it, along with a vented Cutts. Both had to go.
Stan Baker eliminated the Cutts, cutting the barrel far enough back to get away from the bend that is part of a Cutts installation-I wanted a grouse and woodcock gun anyway. It came back 21" long, with two of his choke tubes, that he selected for the job at hand-I was about 19 when he worked on it, and glad to have his guidance. He included a Baker wrench for the tubes, fresh blue, on the barrel (all I sent him was the barrel) and a polished bore, one of his signature operations. I've never seen bores that compare to the job Stan Baker did.
I refinished the stock and put a new recoil pad on it at the cut length. I've had it long enough that it is on recoil pad number two under my ownership.
I bought a second 26" modified barrel for it off Ebay, from a parts gun from a gent in New Orleans. I also found, after using it for perhaps 30 seasons, a lefty safety, something I really could have used in an earlier part of my life. I might have simply stayed with the 17, if I hadn't had to fart around getting the safety off when I was hunting. But, the seed was already planted for aquiring a Darne, by the time the model 17 came along. The second barrel needs to be blued, it lived a really hard life, and bolted right up to the gun, with correct headspace, when I got it. Thank you, Eli Whitney. You 'da man.
I haven't fired it in a long time. But, I will. The last conversation I had with Steve Bodio, found him further into the grip of Parkinson's, and down to a Darne clone, a glass bedded LC Smith twelve that "handled like a Purdey", according to him, and a phenomenal little pump gun he had just discovered, that he wanted to tell me all about-the Remington model 17.

I told him he was a little late to the party.

I introduced Lloyd to my copy, and he informed me that "pictures don't do it justice". Mine was used as a loaner, and a gun safety trainer for many years, it has been used pretty hard, actually. I've killed buckets of grouse, woodcock, and pheasants with it. Weight, with the long rusty barrel, and the recoil pad, is 5 lbs, 14 ozs. With the longer barrel, and 2 or 3 rounds of ammunition in the chamber and magazine, it is a superb handling and balanced gun. With the short barrel, I actually stand a chance, taking a poke at early season grouse.
Do enjoy your new to you gun. Photo enclosed of my copy:

Best,
Ted

Posted By: Joe Wood Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/29/17 03:05 PM
I have a minty delux 17 with the solid rib. What a wonderful pump. My first real bird gun was my grandfather's old 17 clunker. Still have it but I've moved on to doubles but often miss those early innocent days when one shot whatever was available and never thought about all the nuances we now think are so important.....
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/29/17 06:33 PM
You guys are torturing me here. This one is still available and I don't have a 17 at the moment.

IMHO, the ultimate upland pumpgun.
Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
You guys are torturing me here. This one is still available and I don't have a 17 at the moment.

IMHO, the ultimate upland pumpgun.

Don't blame us for YOUR screwup-you HAD a beauty. Bet you think twice, before you do that, again.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Bushmaster Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/30/17 01:50 AM
Barrel code is "KZ" for May 1931
Choke marked "Full"

Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/30/17 02:10 AM
Geeze Ted.....so much for Christian charity. If I happen to get another one will all my sins be forgiven?

This one walked into the shop 2 summers ago. Almost unfired and one of the nicest 17s I've ever seen. The kid that brought it in had picked it up for $400 and wanted to know if he'd made a good purchase. I told him absolutely.

Second time we've seen that one. Any chance you took the kid's phone number?

He might be bored with it by now.

Hey, pretty sure your sins will be forgiven at a higher pay grade than here, but, you will have to forgive yourself, and letting a decent model 17 go might be tough on you.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/30/17 03:20 AM
You sir have a good memory. Sadly, I've never seen that young man again.

Also unfortunately, my sins are legion. Would that I might erase them all with a single firearm purchase. Of course, that fact that it is a John Moses Browning design might help tip that scale a bit.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/30/17 03:34 AM
You already have a Model 31 Lloyd. Save some for the rest of us, will ya? smile
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/30/17 03:39 AM
You sir.... have a good memory too. As I mentioned, my sins are legion.
This one would carry alright:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-fo...un_id=100815177

Price is a little weird. Full choke might be a problem. You wouldn't feel bad if it got a nick or three in it. I sold my pumps that didn't have any checkering-too hard to hang onto. Checkering makes a huge difference. As I get older, a relaxed pistol grip is coming into sharper focus for being a bit easier to control and mount than a straight, but, I still love straight grips.

Remember that local we ran into at LOW, who had a cigarette and beer in one hand, and an Ithaca 37 in the other?

He wouldn't have anything on you if you showed up with this one.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/30/17 03:45 PM
But I wouldn't have a cigarette or a beer. He would pity me.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: This Remington 17 is worth posting - 04/30/17 09:01 PM
Ted: I haven't entirely abandoned the design of the 17. There is a 16-gauge (circa 1939) M37 in Pennsylvania with my name on it. I use it when I'm there during hunting season and store it w/family to avoid transport issues (& costs). As you already know, the pre-war 37s closely mimic the 17s they were derived from, so it feels very familiar. My 2-barrelled (like you, I had added a 2nd barrel) M17 "flowed down the river of commerce" (neat phrase, thankyou Researcher) to build a war-chest for yet another doublegun purchase. Would that we could keep them all, eh?
I sold my 16 gauge Ithaca 37-it wasn't checkered. No other good reason. That said, it was not a Remington model 17. Even handling 20 gauge Ithaca model 37s, I can't say they have the same vibe a 17 does.
At last count, I think I had 18 shotguns. I could stand to do some pruning, but, since parting ways with one gun in particular that haunts me to this day, I'm not very good at moving them along.

Best,
Ted
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com