doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: old colonel What is going on with this Purdey - 04/25/17 03:03 PM
I was perusing Guns International and saw this gun and was curious

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-fo...un_id=100836497

The things that make me curious:

1. Quality of the engraving of Purdey name on the side of the gun and rib (Is it real or just re-engraved or what?)

2. Wood to metal fit (poor restocking?)

3. Doubled Firing Pin Retaining Screws (poor repair?)
Deleted
Looks rebarreled.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: What is going on with this Purdey - 04/25/17 05:33 PM
Looks like a very poorly refinished gun. Plain and simple.
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: What is going on with this Purdey - 04/25/17 11:40 PM
It is a worn out Purdey that has probably been refreshed several times in its life. It is an old soldier that should just be given a place of honor in the glass fronted gun cabinet.
Posted By: gunut Re: What is going on with this Purdey - 04/26/17 12:16 AM
ready for remelt.....but the owner doesn't want to take the hit....
Posted By: eeb Re: What is going on with this Purdey - 04/26/17 01:13 AM
I'd wager the head of the stock is split.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: What is going on with this Purdey - 04/26/17 01:19 AM
Seen a lot of abuse and hard hunting then poorly repaired and/or refinished by someone that was not quite up to the standard of a Purdey. Would be a great 'beater' gun if the price wasn't so out of line for what it ended up.
Posted By: Ken61 Re: What is going on with this Purdey - 04/26/17 01:26 AM
As I recall, many years ago Jack Rowe stated once "There are a lot of Clapped Out Purdeys floating around out there". Or at least words to that effect. Perhaps this is an example of what he was referring to.

Regards
Ken
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: What is going on with this Purdey - 04/26/17 01:50 AM
Be nice to drag that thing through the woods and briars. Even in beater form a Purdey would still have that magical balance of an English game gun.

He's got to be whacked selling it at five figures.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: What is going on with this Purdey - 04/26/17 02:10 AM
[quote=treblig1958 He's got to be whacked selling it at five figures. [/quote]

No, whoever pays that is the one that is "whacked".

SRH
Same dealer, a page or two further, has a used, impressed checkered, Ithaca 37 20 gauge, listed at $1500.

A brand new, in the box, Upper Sandusky version is a few bucks under 1K. Everything he has listed follows the same pricing model. He isn't the only dealer in that boat, however.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: kirkp Re: What is going on with this Purdey - 04/26/17 01:57 PM
Well, it's obvious that I have a LOT to learn. When I first looked at the pics, I thought it was a good looking gun. I thought the colors looked pretty good, screw didn't look boogered up and I didn't really see any other issues. Understand that this was before I looked at the price. After reading the replies, I looked at the pics again and saw what was being said about the poor wood to metal fit. For that price I would think one would want near perfection unless near perfection would be much more than the asking price. However I still don't see that it's worn out and ready to be melted down. Just because it's not perfect does it mean it's trash if it could be obtained at a reasonable price (whatever that would be)?

In order to learn, what is it that suggests it may have been rebarreled? Also, what's wrong with the forend tip?

Thanks for putting up with my rambling.
Kirk
Deleted
Posted By: gunut Re: What is going on with this Purdey - 04/26/17 03:45 PM
I was exaggerating with the re-melt comment....But that is a $5000 rainy day Turdey for a shooter that finds some kind of mystique in English made guns....sounds like someone is into that one pretty DEEEEEP.....
Posted By: John Roberts Re: What is going on with this Purdey - 04/26/17 04:49 PM
Actually, I'm sure he just put one too many zeros in the price, lol. $2250 would be about right.
JR
Posted By: Little Creek Re: What is going on with this Purdey - 04/26/17 08:17 PM
Saw a similar purdy in Anchorage not long ago. Stocked with poor wood to metal fit, and sleeved with part of a seam in the barrels showing.$14,000.
Posted By: Condor Re: What is going on with this Purdey - 04/27/17 05:04 PM
Originally Posted By: kirkp
Well, it's obvious that I have a LOT to learn. When I first looked at the pics, I thought it was a good looking gun. I thought the colors looked pretty good, screw didn't look boogered up and I didn't really see any other issues. Understand that this was before I looked at the price. After reading the replies, I looked at the pics again and saw what was being said about the poor wood to metal fit. For that price I would think one would want near perfection unless near perfection would be much more than the asking price. However I still don't see that it's worn out and ready to be melted down. Just because it's not perfect does it mean it's trash if it could be obtained at a reasonable price (whatever that would be)?

In order to learn, what is it that suggests it may have been rebarreled? Also, what's wrong with the forend tip?

Thanks for putting up with my rambling.
Kirk

Yes, I agree. Not a bad looking gun. Too much money anyway . If the barrels are original except as to a restore then $15,000 is not out of line with the current crop of Purdeys I see. Look at what folks are looking to sell sleeved Dicksons. If the barrels are sleeved then 6 to 10 is also in the market. If someone put that on for $2500 I would think it was a typo. The description is simply lacking in information about the gun.
extractors or ejectors or did I miss the info ?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com