doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ellenbr T. Dale New Zealand Boxlock - 03/12/17 01:42 PM
Lifted the following from MedWed-Hunt site. Given as manufactured in 1951 & I thought unusual maker & retailer:

3" MAGNUM & SPEZIALLY MADE FOR T. DALE NEW ZEALAND

Phillipson & Nephew - T. Dale Birmingham

3" Chambers - 1 1/2oz

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: bushveld Re: T. Dale New Zealand Boxlock - 03/12/17 02:55 PM
Mr. Ellenburg;

Interesting gun and I wonder who built it, as Phillipson and Nephew were machinist and suppliers to the gun trade, not gunmakers. Still in business under that name and if my memory serves me correctly, they are providing work to firms such as David McKay Brown.

Thank you for showing it.
Bv
Posted By: ellenbr Re: T. Dale New Zealand Boxlock - 03/12/17 02:59 PM
Bv:
Raimey will do. Thanks for the corrections & have you any additional info on the brace of names?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: T. Dale New Zealand Boxlock - 03/12/17 03:01 PM
Below is a link to Guns.ru w/ additional images if anyone fancies a glance:

http://forum.guns.ru/forummessage/112/2025118.html

Also notes Southgate ejectors.....

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: T. Dale New Zealand Boxlock - 03/12/17 03:06 PM

Anyone hazard a guess of the purpose of the pin aft of the triggerguard bow screw @ the floorplate?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: T. Dale New Zealand Boxlock - 03/12/17 06:00 PM
Almost wonder if the gun wasn't intended for Tisdall's in New Zealand. And misspelled? Was a large sporting goods retailer until 2007, closing after 118 years. They were descendants of W. H. Tisdale, gunmaker in Birmingham. Two of his sons emigrated, one stopped in Vancouver and later became that city's mayor. The other continued to New Zealand.
Posted By: justin Re: T. Dale New Zealand Boxlock - 03/12/17 06:17 PM
A quick look around my books grout up no T.Dale,just a Robert,early in the 1800s. Brown lists Phillipson and Nephew as action makers,so maybe the gun was made around the trade,by them.
Posted By: Nick. C Re: T. Dale New Zealand Boxlock - 03/12/17 07:28 PM
Is it double trigger ?
Edit. Doh, just looked at the rest of the pics on the link. I thought the trigger guard looked a bit short for two triggers. Could the pin on the trigger plate be for the trigger spring ?
Posted By: ellenbr Re: T. Dale New Zealand Boxlock - 03/12/17 07:40 PM
Ah, hah - single trigger. Good eye there Talon.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Gregdownunder Re: T. Dale New Zealand Boxlock - 03/12/17 07:46 PM
Never heard of T Dale.
I don't think there were any "real" gunmakers here in NZ,or even anyone assembling them, though that may have happened in very small numbers.
The big players were A&W M'Carthys,W H Hazard,Tisdalls,and Colonial ammunition company(CAC), all retailers of guns and fishing tackle etc though Hazard did list as a gun maker.
Still very common to see these older, generally hammerguns around but they all tend to say "made for" the above by various commonly known Birmingham firms.

GDU.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: T. Dale New Zealand Boxlock - 03/12/17 08:07 PM
"William Phillipson claimed he established his business as an action maker in 1840 in Birmingham, but no address is known. One report states that his address was 91 Upper Priory in 1876, and another report states that in about 1878 he was at 78 Weaman Street. Neither address has been confirmed. In 1911 the firm of Phillipson & Nephew, gun and action makers, was recorded at 78 Weaman Street. In 1949 the firm became Phillipson & Nephew (Gunmakers) Ltd. In 1958 the company moved to Unit 47, 41 Richard Street. Reportedly the company closed in 1974, but others state that between 1960 and 1997 the company moved to Wesham Road, Honeyburne, Nr. Evesham, Worcestershire, where they may continue to trade. The company supplied sidelock and boxlock actions to the trade, and may have produced a few guns undr their own name. They supplied boxlock actions to Churchill Atkin Grant & Lang Ltd from late 1972.Herbert Beesley after his father's death was going to turn over, and costed out, Standard Grade SLE work to them, according to Don Masters. They also made complete guns for Harrods according to Nigel Brown."

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=349241&page=5

Always, always search the DGS BBS.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Nick. C Re: T. Dale New Zealand Boxlock - 03/12/17 08:13 PM
Just found similar info in Nigel Brown's book but no mention of T . Dale unfortunately.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: T. Dale New Zealand Boxlock - 03/12/17 08:26 PM
Charles Daly was at 65 Weaman Street and Henry Challener, gunmaker, was at 78 Weaman Street in 1861.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: bushveld Re: T. Dale New Zealand Boxlock - 03/12/17 09:09 PM
Raimey;

Beginning on page 58 of the Donald Dallas authored book of David McKay Brown is a several page photographs and text of the current day J.B. Phillipson "well known component supplier" to the trade; and this writing states that Hugh and Jeff Phillipson as the business management. Phillipson's make CNC actions for Brown's as well as other items.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: T. Dale New Zealand Boxlock - 03/13/17 12:24 AM
I now wonder if custodian, T. Dale, seen in both side banners, was an affluent hunter or shooter?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com