doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Glenn Fewless Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/16/07 04:11 AM
Gentlemens:

A couple of you asked for it, so now you all have to suffer. We just finished Mr. Mann's Frank Wesson #1 Long Range Rifle. Actually, this is built into a NRA BPCR Silhouette rifle. It is chambered in .45-70 and weighs just shy of 12 pounds. The wood is by Doug Mann. The fine engraving, which I skillfully failed to capture in the photos, is by Mr. Hurst. I'll have another go at that in the daylight. It is a really pleasing intertwining scroll.

These pictures are not the best, but it is hard to get good help. If any of you happen to be at the Northbrook show/shoot this weekend the rifle will be displayed at the Guild table.

Regards to all,

Glenn
Posted By: PeteM Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/16/07 11:59 AM
Wow. A very nice piece. Who did the barrel work? I like that transition.

Pete
Posted By: popplecop Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/16/07 12:12 PM
As a lover of single shots this is fantastic. Excellent work gentlemen. Thanks for the pictures.
Trouble.

I never fell in love with an inanimate object before! OK, there have been a few impressionist paintings that came close to sweeping me off my feet...

Spectacular.
Posted By: JohnM Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/16/07 12:42 PM
Where to start? With the wood shaping; the delicate bands across the checkering, the flawless edges? Or the metal whittling to absolutly include that aforementioned bbl turning? Or the steel chiseling? DANG!!!!! I'm just near a loss for words.

But one thing for sure: the duly assembled Gentlemen of the Craft have achived a piece that needs to be included the next "300 Years of Gunmaking" exhibition. I've thot for some time that we are a new and modern Victorian era, in terms of fine bespoken craftsmanship.

There's the tour de force truth of that in those photos, gents. Congrats to all concerned, and of course, more photos ARE required,

J.
Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/16/07 01:24 PM
Outstanding! The dream single shot.
Posted By: Marc Stokeld Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/16/07 03:13 PM
Wow! that rifle really looks nice. Can't wait to see it and handle in next January. Is that the barreled action you had in the white in Reno this year?
Posted By: Marc Stokeld Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/16/07 03:13 PM
Wow! that rifle really looks nice. Can't wait to see it and handle in next January. Is that the barreled action you had in the white in Reno this year?
Posted By: Marc Stokeld Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/16/07 08:23 PM
I forgot to ask-does this one of the skeleton buttplates on it? If so, can you please post a pic of your and Doug's handiwork?

I just looked at all of the pics again when I pulled it up. Still think it rocks!

Just out of curiosity, where did the blank and barrel come from? I am assuming Mr. Gillette did the case coloring? Who did the bluing?

Why don't you post them on AR. I saw you mentioned it this morning so I came and looked at it. But I figured most guys would not hunt it up. She is so pretty I think you should post the pics over there. The 3 of you did a very nice job on that one.
Posted By: Bill G. Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/16/07 08:59 PM
WOW! That is beautiful work all around. I'd have a real hard time not keeping something like that if it got into my hands. I thank you and hate you for showing us these pictures.

Bill G.
Posted By: Glenn Fewless Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/16/07 09:06 PM
Gentlemens:

Thank you all very much for the kind words.

Mr. Escape': Impressionist paintings? Interesting. The only paintings that ever filled me with impure thoughts is the work of Van Gogh.

PeteM: The metal work is by the fine folks at Mook Machine Works. (that would be me.)

Marc: I believe Mr. Mann will have it at Reno in January. It has a skeleton plate, but not one of ours. I'll get a picture of that later. The barrel is from Green Mountain. I hold their large caliber barrels in high regard and use them on my personal target rifles. Color case by John Gillette at Classic Guns. Bluing is by the exceptionally handsome and dignified folks at Mook Machine.

Glenn
Posted By: PeteM Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/16/07 11:59 PM
Wait a second. You mean that gun was sitting at John's shop overnight all by itself? Next time, call me, I will stand guard.

I really like the transition from hexagon to round. That is very special all on it's own. Don't believe I have ever seen it done that way before. Truly a gun to be proud of in all it's elegance.

Pete
Posted By: Doug Mann Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/16/07 11:59 PM
Originally Posted By: PeteM
Wow. A very nice piece. Who did the barrel work? I like that transition.

Pete

Pete, if you are going to be at Northbrook this weekend look me up because I owe you a beverage of your choice for being the straight man in the "lets get Glenn" group. The "wedding band transition" has been the cause of some "Mook moments"

Glenn did an exceptionally fine job on this rifle and I am proud to call it mine (or at least the caretaker of it for the coming years).

Glenn mentioned the wonderful scratching that Ken did on the rifle and it needs to be seen to fully appreciate how nice it is. I had originally planned to french gray the action but when I saw the great colors that John Gillette did I just couldn't bring myself to remove them. Besides my wife also thought the colors looked great and thought it would be "kinda dumb" to remove them. I listen to my wife!

I don't know how many of you follow the black powder rifle game but Glenn tied for first place in Master Class at Raton last summer. Besides he's a pretty good metalsmith.
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/17/07 12:25 AM
UP-date on Mr. Glenn. I just got the word that he took first place at Effingham 1000 yd shoot last week-end using a near duplicat of this rifle sans wedding band. Ken
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/17/07 03:06 AM
Very, very nice!
Posted By: Glenn Fewless Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/17/07 03:39 AM
Gentlemens:

Here are a couple of pictures of the south end. The butt plate was still rusting when the last pictures were taken. <g>

Regards,

Glenn
Posted By: Glenn Fewless Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/17/07 04:17 AM
As promised, a poor but sincere attempt to capture Mr. Hurst's fine work. Pictures do not do it justice.

Glenn

Posted By: PeteM Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/17/07 04:29 AM
I am sitting here looking at a b&w picture of F. Wesson Long Range Rifle Number 1, serial #3. The original has nothing on this rifle. Of all his designs, this one is truly classic.

Doug, I am sure if I will be at Northbrook or not. If I go, I will find you to claim that beverage.

Pete
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/17/07 06:16 AM
That is about as nice a effort that I have seen in a long time. There is not a single thing that I would want to change on the gun and it is a pure delight to look at. Each person who worked on it did an outstanding job.
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/17/07 06:26 PM
Marc ---- just what is AR ? If it is a web site I would like to see it. Ken
Posted By: SKB Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/17/07 06:59 PM
accuratereloading.com
Posted By: Marc Stokeld Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/17/07 07:57 PM
Ken-

AR is what folks over at http://www.accuratereloading.com call the board. GLenn will ocassionally post some of his hack work over there. THere has even been a "Len Hurst" post there every now and then.

PeteM-

Is there a picture of this rifle posted anywhere? I looked in my Winfer and Kirton books but could not find it.

In closer inspection of this rifle, my mind keeps going back to the recent thread about artistic balance. THis rifle is close to having it-nice but not over the top wood, pretty engraving in good proportions to the rifle, wood work and checkering that matches well with the engraving. If only the metal work was a little better...
Posted By: Marc Stokeld Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/17/07 08:00 PM
I have been trying to be nice to Glenn when he posts the nice work, but it was just killing me to have to compliment him like that.

But he gets the last laugh...because he knows he can do things with metal that I can't
Posted By: Glenn Fewless Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/17/07 10:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Marc Stokeld
But he gets the last laugh...because he knows he can do things with metal that I can't

Oh, I get the last laugh alright, but that isn't why. It has more to do with voting next February...

Pete:

I would like to see that photo as well. The #3 rifle is in fact the very one that the Earle action is copied from.

Regards,

Glenn
Posted By: PeteM Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/17/07 11:41 PM
Well, hoof and mouth strikes again.

It is on page 457 of "Boys' Single Shot Rifles" by James J. Grant published in 1967, Library of Congress number 67-18139.

In Chapter 13, "F. Wesson - C.B. Holden - C.O. Wood" he has pictures of just about all of F. Wesson's designs. He also includes copies of the patents held by Wesson. He goes on for about 30 pages about Wesson. He states that serial #3 is his personal gun. He also has 2 pages devoted to the proper reloading tools for this gun with pictures of same. He spends a good deal time talking about F. Wesson's unique cartridges. He gives a short biography of F. Wesson and even quotes from his obituary.

Sorta got the idea he was a little taken with F. Wesson. From some of his pictures it is obvious the originals were engraved, but not enough detail in the photos to even comment on, which is a pity. Apparently Wesson held a patent for a double rifle, but Grant does not picture one nor even mentions it.

I will try and scan these pictures and post them here. It may take a few days...

I have developed a fascination for single shot 22lr recently. Grant is an excellent source, as he shows some rifles that are most likely buried deep in private collections today. He has pictures of every version of the Stevens Favorite, which is the only way to even approximate a date for these guns.

Pete
Originally Posted By: PeteM
From some of his pictures it is obvious the originals were engraved, but not enough detail in the photos to even comment on, which is a pity. Pete

Wesson Engraving Click Here
Posted By: Marc Stokeld Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/18/07 11:38 AM
DANG! I forgot about the vote next year. Have I told you how talented and good looking you are altely?

MP & Pete

Thanks for the info and pics!
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/18/07 05:52 PM
Doug, Nice job of reproducing the forend panels! When I first saw yours I thought it a novel approach. Seeing the original, I like them even better!
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/18/07 07:16 PM
MP --- what is the ser.# of the Wesson you posted ? I don't think there were more than 33 made based on the highest ser. # that has surfaced so far. Steve used ser. # 3 as the pattern he took measurements from and has since returned it to the old man who owned & lent it to him. The rifle was in good mech. shape but surface metal was worn and forend missing.

Steve has started making the Wesson #1 mid-range action. I think it will be on hold until he can catch up with the long-range actions. As you know, these actions were made from bronze and were roundish. Steve is going to use the same materials as in the long-range and will offer the sction with the flat side similar to a mod. 94 or highwall. Rest assured it will be equal to or exceed the quality he invested in his first action.

Ken
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/18/07 07:57 PM
Well, if youall don't take the cake!! I mean, here you get all hett up over a gun with a muleear hammer - haven't youall heared about hammerless guns?? It's got a gunarlley wood stock with all kinds of colors instead of a nice uniform black sinthedik plastick one. Guess you couldn't affort a white line spazer recoil pat so you just cut somethin outta a tin can. And that action!! Couldn't get uniform colors on it so I guess you just took the ole ozzy-sittaline torch to her, huh? Why'd you let someone scratch on her with sumptin sharp?? Couldn't you buff that out?? Haven't heard of stainlesssteel for barrels either, huh? Say, you really otter make up yer minds which shape that barrel is supposed to be afore you start and get haff way through it, too. I'm a fergivn man, but puttin sights on a stock??? Jez who do you think yer foolin?? An don't go trying to offer it to, neither, cuz I know a rifle when I see one.

Wow!! You guys do good work.
Originally Posted By: Ken Hurst
MP --- what is the ser.# of the Wesson you posted ? I don't think there were more than 33 made based on the highest ser. # that has surfaced so far. Ken

The serial number of the rifle pictured is "0", the highest serial number on a No. 1 I have personally looked at is 17. Years ago I heard there was one with a number in the 20's but never learned more about it. A subject I have not kept up on so it sounds like a lot more have surfaced.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/20/07 12:59 AM
Grant talks about serial numbers. Apparently he had seen 3 different Tip-Up guns all with same serial number. He simply states that Wesson did not pay attention to such things.

Mr. Ken, you do great work.

Pete
Posted By: Terry Buffum Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/20/07 09:15 PM
Glenn,

On your own Earle-Wesson, did you also use a Green Mountain barrel? What caliber and chamber? What twist? What bullet weight and profile are you using to win those long range matches?

Terry
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/20/07 09:31 PM
Thanks Mr. MP for the ser. # --- just wondering if 33 was still the highest # known for the long range.

And, thank you Mr. PeteM for those kind words. I do try and make each piece better than the last. I've just passed into my 49th. year of gun scratching & starting to get the hang of it --- now , if I can only improve on what I;m doing.

Glenn is at the Northbrook shoot today but, I can tell you he is using one of those lesser expensive GM bbl's. He came in 5th at Raton last year in the 1000 yd shoot and 1st. at Effingham 1000 yd. this mo. He also tied for first place at Raton at the sil. shoot using a GM bbl. on a Win. highwall. In the shoot off , he dropped a shot and came in second. He said it wasn't the bbl's fault Ken
Thanks Mr. MP for the ser. # --- just wondering if 33 was still the highest # known for the long range.

Is this info on 33 from a article or?
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/20/07 10:38 PM
MP, this gun is one that a former client had. He had me engrave a Borchardt for him & I told him about this new action when he said he had #33 so wouldn't be interested in a new one. Ken
Posted By: Glenn Fewless Re: Pink Flamingos---Mr. Mann's Wesson - 05/21/07 02:46 AM
Terry:

Yes, my Wesson does have a GM barrel. It is a .45 caliber barrel with a 1-18" twist, 34" long. It is chambered for the .45-90 Win. (or the .45- 2-4/10" if you are a Sharps kinda guy.) It started out as a Winchester #6 taper octagon barrel which I turned half round and then recut the octagon to a size that matched the top flat of the action. I guess it would be about a 5-1/2 taper. The rifles weighs just under the 15 pound limit legal for an NRA rules Creedmoor rifle. The load used in this rifle for the 1000 yard matches is a 530 grain bullet from mold that B&D Molds made for me on top of 88 grains of Swiss 1-1/2f powder lit by a Federal large pistol primer. Velocity is about 1350 fps. Bullet profile is a "Creedmoor" like shape, roughly a fat spitzer sort of ogive with a round nose.

My silhouette rifle is a Winchester action with a GM .45 caliber barrel, 1-18" twist chambered for the .45-70. I shoot three different loads in that during a silhouette match, the main one being a 495 grain bullet on 72 grains of Swiss 3f, velocity about 1340 fps.

Mr. Mann's rifle has a barrel that started life as a Winchester #3 taper and is also 34" long. This long light barrel allows for installing some gravity in the buttstock to balance the gun for offhand shooting whilst still making the 12 pound 2 ounce Silhouette limit. While we have yet to do a work with it the rifle is chambered identically to my Winchester so we should have a good starting point.

Best regards,

Glenn
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com