doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Sleeving my Smith Specialty Grade - 02/16/17 07:18 PM
In times past, I have posted this picture of the exploded original 32inch barrel set to my L.C. Smith 12ga Specialty grade gun. Even though I have a shorter replacement barrel set from an O grade, I always wanted to have the original set re-done.

I asked Aaron Little to let me have some pictures of the progress. His response was that the sleeving process was not very photogenic, but sent me the pics below anyway:

Photogenic or not, I'd have to say my barrels look a whole lot better now than when I sent them to Mr. Little!...Geo
Posted By: skeettx Re: Sleeving my Smith Specialty Grade - 02/16/17 07:40 PM
Awesome progress
Your first picture made my heart ill!
Mike

Posted By: lagopus Re: Sleeving my Smith Specialty Grade - 02/16/17 08:12 PM
Out of interest;, but it may have been covered before, how did the barrels come to split in the first place? Just curious. Lagopus.....
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Sleeving my Smith Specialty Grade - 02/16/17 08:28 PM
Very interesting. I for one would love to see how they turn out.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Sleeving my Smith Specialty Grade - 02/16/17 09:49 PM
Originally Posted By: lagopus
Out of interest;, but it may have been covered before, how did the barrels come to split in the first place? Just curious. Lagopus.....

I don't know and the guy I bought it from didn't either. I'm guessing it was an obstruction burst.

The markings inside the split look to me like something an expert witness would have put there to facilitate an explanation to a court of law. I would love to have a transcript of the hearing.

The barrel edges are very thin, but that could be a result of stretching when the burst occurred...Geo
Posted By: JLN Re: Sleeving my Smith Specialty Grade - 02/16/17 10:19 PM
Geo

Does his process involve TIGing those seems at the chambers and forward of the forcing cones?

Looks good. It will feel like a new gun!

Jason
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Sleeving my Smith Specialty Grade - 02/17/17 02:04 AM
Yes, Mr. Little is welding where the tube is attached to present a seamless joint. That will probably cause a slight discoloration when the barrels are re-blued, but I'd prefer that to an open seam.

I will post additional pictures as they come available...Geo
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Sleeving my Smith Specialty Grade - 02/17/17 04:05 AM
Very good to know! I cant wait to see how it turns out
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Sleeving my Smith Specialty Grade - 02/17/17 11:29 AM
If done properly, a soldered joint would not be "open" but just as undetected as a welded joint if even less so.
If the right filler rod is used on the weld, the rust blue should hide the weld well.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Sleeving my Smith Specialty Grade - 02/17/17 01:10 PM
Before blueing courtesy of Toby Barclay

After

Not so good frown

Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Sleeving my Smith Specialty Grade - 08/18/17 08:55 PM
ttt
I got my Specialty Grade back today from Mr. Little. He was able to sleeve just the one barrel that had burst while saving the undamaged original left barrel, the original top ventilated rib and the bottom ribs, as well as all original barrel top lettering on both barrels.

Pictures to follow as soon as I can take some and get them posted...Geo

Oh, it turned out very well indeed!
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Sleeving my Smith Specialty Grade - 08/18/17 10:02 PM
Pictures below of the 32" barrel L.C. Smith Specialty Grade. The sleeve is in the right barrel. Very difficult to detect:

I wish I had thought to ask him to replace the precious metal seam between the vent rib and the standing top rib.

I hope that Aaron Little (Gunmaker) will feel free to discuss the particulars of the job. He can certainly answer questions regarding the process much better than I. Particularly the challenges presented by only sleeving one barrel instead of both...Geo
Posted By: skeettx Re: Sleeving my Smith Specialty Grade - 08/18/17 10:47 PM
Fantastic, another one returns to useful life
Thank you for posting
Mike
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Sleeving my Smith Specialty Grade - 08/18/17 11:04 PM
The work was done by:
A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
Geo,
Have you shot the gun yet? Steve Bodio has a big, square shouldered LC that he swears handles like a Purdey, if you close your eyes.

I want one of whatever he's drinking.

Curious, you reported a problem with a Japanese Browning SLE in your stable, what, exactly, turned out to be the problem, there?
I've never heard of a problem with that version of the Browning.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Sleeving my Smith Specialty Grade - 08/19/17 12:00 AM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

Curious, you reported a problem with a Japanese Browning SLE in your stable, what, exactly, turned out to be the problem, there?
I've never heard of a problem with that version of the Browning.

Best,
Ted

The problem was that the fore-end came off with the ejector hammers in the fired position.I had a tough time pushing them back into battery.

"From the other thread:
Originally Posted By: Stan

Glad you got it, Geo. Next question is ........... why did the forend fall off?

SRH

Because I didn't put it on right. While I was working on it yesterday I took out the Anson plunger and cleaned some goop off of it and swabbed out the barrel it fits in. It had been binding and the latch was not retracting over the barrel lug as it should. Smoothed everything out and it works like a champ now. Doves are in big trouble...Geo

Yes, when I unscrewed the detente on the end of the plunger, it and the spring hit the wall on the other side of the room. A gun smith i ain't!"

Ted I have not shot the repaired Elsie yet, but when I put it on my shoulder and swing it with my eyes closed, it does in fact feel just like a Purdey...Geo

Posted By: GMCS Re: Sleeving my Smith Specialty Grade - 08/19/17 12:30 AM
Very nice job. Putting a good gun with the type of trauma that one experienced is amazing.
Thanks, Geo. One of those guns has been on my radar for a bit, was curious to the exact nature of the problem.
In the end, I'll likely stick to a different project that is on a back burner at the moment, but, getting closer to the front burner.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Sleeving my Smith Specialty Grade - 08/21/17 06:19 PM
Before Aaron Little took on the job of sleeving just the one barrel, I'd been told that the job would have to include the sleeving of both barrels. Anyone else seen a one barrel sleeve?...Geo
Posted By: SKB Re: Sleeving my Smith Specialty Grade - 08/21/17 06:26 PM
My uncle has a Miroku that he blew one barrel on in the '70s and he had just that barrel sleeved.
Posted By: Ghostrider Re: Sleeving my Smith Specialty Grade - 08/21/17 08:48 PM
I had Aaron do one barrel on a double a year and a half ago. Turned out great.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Sleeving my Smith Specialty Grade - 08/21/17 09:15 PM
Dewey Vicnair did just one barrel on another Smith. He had pictures of it on his website. Of course he seems to be able to make just about anything from a block of steel or turn a Sterlingworth into a sleek custom made gun. That man has talent as they say just as the smith who saved your gun. Talent should be acknowledged and paid.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com