doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Little Creek Browning superposed choke markings - 01/11/17 08:06 PM
I noticed a Superposed gun, probably or the 1960's vintage, that has dots for choke markings on the side of the chambers. One barrel was marked .. and the other ....-

Do you know what chokes these represent?
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Browning superposed choke markings - 01/11/17 08:27 PM
* full
*- im
** mod
*** ic
**S skeet.
*** cyl

I think this is right. Been awhile since I learned that secret code. A lot like the ditty for bbroygbvgw Or bad boys run our young girls behind victory garden walls.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Browning superposed choke markings - 01/11/17 08:30 PM
Little Creek, if you actually measure the constriction in Belgian Browning shotguns--A-5's as well as Superposeds--you will find that they're often a good bit tighter than you'd expect based on what's marked on the barrels.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Browning superposed choke markings - 01/11/17 10:47 PM
Second that. Ie: mod marked barrel may measure more like IM.
Posted By: vabirddog Re: Browning superposed choke markings - 01/12/17 01:16 AM
To clarify, **- is Imp Cyl. *** is Cyl.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Browning superposed choke markings - 01/12/17 12:55 PM
My experience, while admittedly rather limited on Browning's, has been they used the old English/European constrictions of from Cyl through Full of 0.0, .010, .020, .030 & .040. Some US makers also used the .010: standard for Imp Cyl. Technically this was Quarter (¼) choke with IC being around .005"-.006".
Most Europeans & the British normally did not use the terms I/C, mod & I/M but used ¼, ½ & 3/4 chokes instead. The more open chokes were then simply fractional of what was considered full. Exceptions were made when aimed at the US market. Prior to plastic shot cup wadding many US makers used very similar constrictions.
As I recall it was Charles Askins the Senior who made the statement you could order a (US) gun with any choke desired. When it arrived it would be so marked, but would be bored Full.

I believe that the general consensus is that the marked and/or measured choke is only a suggestion of actual performance since there are a variety of other factors that intrude.

have another day
Dr.WtS
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Browning superposed choke markings - 01/13/17 02:03 PM
Jack O'Connor's "The Shotgun Book" (1965) lists standard bore diameters and choke constrictions for Browning, Remington and Winchester shotguns. Browning's were .013 IC, .024 mod, .038 full for 12ga.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com