doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: CMWill Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 08/30/16 03:09 PM
I have no connection to this, just thought it was too cool not to share!

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/579843464
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 08/30/16 03:25 PM
That's a really fine one. I am not sure what the market is on those.
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 08/30/16 03:49 PM
Neat, havnt seen one of those in a LOOOOng time...
Posted By: RPr Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 08/30/16 03:58 PM
Yahoo buckaroos, looks like a cowboy or gangster wannabie.

Where ever it is you need one of those, I do not want to be there.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 08/30/16 04:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
That's a really fine one. I am not sure what the market is on those.

VERY collectable. One sold on Subguns recently for 4K and a mint one sold at an auction house for 10K+.. Like anything collectable.... condition, condition, condition. There is also a WTB on Sturmgewehr right now. The 5.9K I think is high for the condition on the GB gun. They were made in Flues and NID's. The NID's are not as graceful looking due to a stock design change.

I had the hots for one years ago but the only ones that came up at the time were NID's and I wanted a Flues. Then the prices rose rapidly and I wound up with a 20ga stakeout instead which is a pistol grip short barrel 37. The Stakeouts are also registered as AOW's because they left Ithaca without a stock.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 08/30/16 04:45 PM
Just for interest, at the top appears to be a Smith A & B; courtesy of Richard Breyer and fultonhistory.com
It was never offered in a catalog, and I don't believe even Bro. Tom has seen one

Posted By: postoak Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 08/30/16 05:45 PM
I have thought about creating a Modern copy on a Yildiz 20 gauge side by side via a Form 1.

Just for the Hell of it.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 08/30/16 05:48 PM
I used to see those little .410 sxs double pistols at all the gun shows. I think they got by being able to use pistol ammo as well. Never see them anymore. Are they still legal without getting a federal permit?...Geo
Posted By: Genelang Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 08/30/16 06:10 PM
I think those were called Snake Charmer or something like that. They made the legal requirements.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 08/30/16 06:57 PM
I've seen two total in person. That one is much nicer than either of them. I did not know that there was a factory holster made for them. That alone is cool to me as well. Still not something I need or even lust for. And just the thought of my finger getting over the end of the barrel give me the willies.
Posted By: James M Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 08/30/16 07:39 PM
These certainly make for an interesting collectible. However once you fire one the bloom goes off the rose rather quickly! eek
Jim
Posted By: Dave K Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 08/30/16 07:40 PM
Posted By: James M Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 08/31/16 06:55 PM
I know an unregistered machine gun can no longer be registered. But what about one of these? If you turn up one at an estate can it still be legally registered?
Jim
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 08/31/16 07:03 PM
I don't think so. There was an amnesty deal a few years back but that ran out. I can't conceive of another deal like that under present circumstances...Geo
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 08/31/16 07:42 PM
No it cant...A "friend" of mine had an H&R Handigun, short bbl version....ATF said clearly that his only choice was to turn it in for destruction or to donate it to a qualifying museum or something like that...
'
Posted By: Dave K Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 08/31/16 08:01 PM
Taylors was trying to bring these in,Pedersoli in 45Colt/410ga

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/01/20/shot-2016-new-firearms-taylorspedersoli/

Posted By: Rick Beckner Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 08/31/16 11:20 PM
Julia's recently was able to get an Ithaca A&B registered that was previously unregistered so maybe there is a crack in the door?
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 09/01/16 01:24 AM
Might depend on where it came from..IF IF it were owned by a bank or some institution...I think they would at least discuss it..Otherwise I don't think so..
Posted By: postoak Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 09/01/16 03:31 AM
A gentleman that I know was able to get an original 1894 15" barreled Winchester that was found in his grandfather's attic "removed" from the NFA list. I lent him a box to ship it to the ATF and he showed me the letter the ATF sent back.

An original Auto Burglar should be treated similarly, but who knows with the ATF ? Logic and consistency is not their strong suit.
Posted By: mergus Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 09/01/16 03:39 PM
Cabela's, Dixie Gun Works and perhaps others sell a Pedersoli replica of a Howda pistol in 20 ga. I shoot mine with 25 grains of FFG and 1 ounce of lead 6's. Not hard to hold onto at all....

Mergus
Posted By: keith Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 09/02/16 03:36 AM
I saw two NID Ithaca Auto&Burglar's at a PGCA Gun Show back in January. They were in a locked display case, so I couldn't tell if there was any sort of reinforcement to keep the pistol grip from breaking under recoil. The "proper" grain flow through the wrist was non-existant. You'd think that such a stock would break on the first shot without reinforcement.
Posted By: Kutter Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 09/02/16 05:30 AM
Originally Posted By: postoak
A gentleman that I know was able to get an original 1894 15" barreled Winchester that was found in his grandfather's attic "removed" from the NFA list. I lent him a box to ship it to the ATF and he showed me the letter the ATF sent back.

An original Auto Burglar should be treated similarly, but who knows with the ATF ? Logic and consistency is not their strong suit.

I don't look for the Govt to reclassify Mad-Max's favorite shooter to collector status anytime soon either, But wouldn't it be nice to see some common sense about these things when they come to light.
Glad your friend got his Trapper lettered. I know of one person that turned a Trapper Marlin 94 in for destruction because he was told it was illegal to keep dispite being told about the process to verify it's originality.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 09/02/16 12:28 PM
Our local county sherrifs headquarters has one on display in a case with other historical issue firearms and equipment. It is a flues model. Incorrectly restored at one time with some noce torch colors, but It was neat to see nonetheless.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 09/02/16 12:48 PM
A friend of mine had an Ithaca A&B. I've handled it many times but been afraid to shoot it. No stamp or license. Luckily he never had to shoot a "youth" breaking into his home with it. That could have gotten nasty in this day and time! I don't know what happened to it after his death...Geo
Posted By: postoak Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 09/02/16 02:14 PM
Isn't it the pinnacle of lunacy that I can apply for a Form 1, pay the tax, and create a new short barreled shotgun, but not register one that is a historical artifact ?
Posted By: Kutter Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 09/02/16 05:30 PM
Originally Posted By: B. Dudley
Our local county sherrifs headquarters has one on display in a case with other historical issue firearms and equipment. It is a flues model. Incorrectly restored at one time with some noce torch colors, but It was neat to see nonetheless.

MCSO still has one?,, They had 2,,both Flues and 2 Thompson SMGs.
We got to shoot them in 71 just before they were supposedly selling them off to clear out the armory closet for more modern stuff.
I guess they kept one for old times sake. I'd guess from the sounds of the re-do and the time period they had Bill Gillette/Big Ridge G/S refinish it. He was torch color handy at that time and rather proud of the work. Lot's of C-Zone used to hang out at his shop then.
The A&B was not very handy to shoot but it was fun and memorable.
TSMG are,,well, TSMG.

They were sold to a Class 3 dealer in NM at the time who was quite well known, Used to have full and half page ads in Shotgun News with NFA stuff. Can't remember the name though.
Livingston Cty also sold him their TSMGs at the time.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 09/02/16 09:18 PM
The last time i was into montoe county downtown was early last year and it was in there on display. Along with some service revolvers and badges and such. No Tommy Gun though.
But when inwas in there a year or so before that, the display was not there.
Posted By: Woody402 Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 09/02/16 10:19 PM
Originally Posted By: B. Dudley

I'd like to see that. Where do they have it displayed? Downtown?
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 09/04/16 12:55 PM
Yeah. At the main sherrifs office. Right in the lobby. Where the '53 chevy patrol car and the DARE fox body mustang are. At least that is where it was last year.
Posted By: bobski Re: Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge - 09/04/16 05:37 PM
see? even back then guys were into tacticool stuff. lol. :>
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com