doublegunshop.com - home
One of my friends just picked up a hammerless H&H 12 bore Paradox. With it is the sizer, crimping tool, and bullet mold. He is not a bullet caster so the job fell to me to help him out. Any thoughts on what the correct bullet hardness should be? I see references to "hardened" but no specifics. Seyfried's article in Handloader suggests a 20/1 alloy and I'll likely go with that unless other wisdom prevails. I have plenty of pure lead, wheel weights and linotype as well as several pounds of tin. Thanks in advance.

Marty
Posted By: lagopus Re: Alloy hardness for a 12 bore Paradox? - 07/17/16 09:49 AM
Lucky friend! True modern loaded Paradox ammo is quite expensive. A friend of mine had one and with a bit of experimentation we found that Sellior & Bellot rifled slug ammunition grouped perfectly. It uses the 1oz. Brenneke slug and is for 2 1/2" chambers too. Comes in packs of five and at a respectable price. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Boats Re: Alloy hardness for a 12 bore Paradox? - 07/17/16 11:29 PM
Wish I could give you a direct answer. A few hardness data points. 58 cal Minnie Balls always dead soft. 45/70 40/65 for BPC Silhouette 1/25 about average. Smaller bores like 32/40 1/20.

New wheel weights worthless, most have a lot of other metals. I only cast with pure lead alloyed with pure tin.

You may already know this

Boats
Posted By: skeettx Re: Alloy hardness for a 12 bore Paradox? - 07/17/16 11:57 PM
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/i...slugs?a=1736785

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/563046155

100 rounds for about $100 delivered ..... SWEET
I found this on another forum and went with Holland and Holland's recommendation of 15/1. I cast up one batch so far. My friend's Paradox came with a set of tools exactly like these minus the instruction sheet.

Posted By: Rocketman Re: Alloy hardness for a 12 bore Paradox? - 07/18/16 02:37 AM
Absolutely beautiful. Thanks.

DDA
Posted By: Boats Re: Alloy hardness for a 12 bore Paradox? - 07/18/16 12:02 PM
Nice, good thing about more tin is better fill out. Yours are just right.

Boats
Posted By: lagopus Re: Alloy hardness for a 12 bore Paradox? - 07/18/16 01:44 PM
Skeetex, the ones I got came in packs of five with a wild boar on the box. I guess they were intended for boar shooting. The box was marked 'Special Slug'. I can't recall the exact price but they were not much more than ordinary 12 bore ammo. The great thing was that they shot true. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Boats Re: Alloy hardness for a 12 bore Paradox? - 07/18/16 03:44 PM
Kit is interesting, including a sizer. I guess thin at the muzzle right size bullet is essential. Lead Rifle bullets will swage as they are fired a few thousands to proper bore diameter. That's probably hard on a Paradox.

Boats
A few years ago I was in search of a 12 gauge slug to use in a Army & Navy “Jungle Gun”, the bores were ,729. H&H Paradox slugs had a cauton that they were not to be used in a bore size less than .735, so they were ruled out.
I found the S&B 12gauge 2 ˝” , they were just what I was looking for, but sorry, they were not available in the USA.
I found the “Jungle Gun” a new home and I will pass this informationon to him.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com