doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: RARiddell Hunter Arms Fulton Special - 06/21/16 11:24 PM
I was curious if anyone could tell me a little about this maker/model. I recently came into one with woodcock and quail engravings. On the water table its stamped PA FEB 7-191 and serial numbered F 23778. Any help would be great!
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Hunter Arms Fulton Special - 06/21/16 11:38 PM
It was made about 1920
Here you go
http://www.lcsmith.org/faq/fulton.html
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/17126039
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Hunter Arms Fulton Special - 06/21/16 11:40 PM
Good guns....
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Hunter Arms Fulton Special - 06/23/16 12:39 PM
Fulton Specials are somewhat rare. Be careful not to confuse it with the Hunter Special, which is also a somewhat rare gun by the folks who made Elsies--but with the same rotary top bolt as the Elsie, which the Fulton doesn't have. All solid boxlocks. Prices on smallbores in particular getting higher these days.
Posted By: gunut Re: Hunter Arms Fulton Special - 06/23/16 12:51 PM
I had 5 Fulton SxSs....still have 3, a 16ga fulton from John Houchins estate..a 12ga Royal Arms marked gun from the same era as yours.....and a Gladiator Tournament model from a little earlier...the Gladiator is a lot like your Special but has a little more engraving and was special ordered by Sears.....the two I sold were plain fultons one market Keystone from 1920 and one from 1936.....these hunter arms made guns are very well made for an entry level double...even if the action is a little strange....
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Hunter Arms Fulton Special - 06/23/16 10:32 PM
Thanks guys I really do like it, lightweight and solid 26" inch barrels IC/C, swings nice and fits!
Posted By: Bibbyman Re: Hunter Arms Fulton Special - 07/22/16 11:59 AM
I picked up Hunter Arms Fulton at a gun show last spring. It was too neglected to leave behind.

I stripped the yellow varnish and grime off the wood to find this treasure.

The engraving is nice except on the right side. Light corrosion has pretty much whipped it out.

The big problem with the gun was that the barrels were beat to death. It had several large dents and a dozen small dents. I used it as practice hammering out dents. The previous owner had sanded and or steel wooled the original finish off the barrels. Maybe this winter I'll finish up the wood and cold blue the barrels.
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Hunter Arms Fulton Special - 07/22/16 12:15 PM
That's a tragedy...They are such good guns when they aren't wrecked...Hope you can bring it back..Thanks
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Hunter Arms Fulton Special - 07/22/16 12:19 PM
Looks like the post-1920 Ideal Grade style engraving. Perhaps a "lunch box special?"
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Hunter Arms Fulton Special - 07/22/16 04:55 PM
The Fulton Special does have the engraving like an Ideal Grade on the top tang area and so do the Gladiator models made for Sears.

There were a few variations made as to the way the sears were located. Some with the 3 pin side have the sears mounted "hanging".
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Hunter Arms Fulton Special - 08/27/16 10:54 PM
Thanks guys awesome utility guns!
Posted By: Genelang Re: Hunter Arms Fulton Special - 08/28/16 12:54 AM
I sold a Hunter Arms Fulton last week. A good 16 gauge with some thinning on the barrels. I let it go too cheaply, I think. Stock was unremarkable.
Posted By: Douglas71 Re: Hunter Arms Fulton Special - 03/13/20 02:20 PM
Any one here have more info on The Fulton Special 12ga.? I inherited this gun and was wanting to get it back to shooting condition. I have 2 issues with this gun. First the gun is breached in the open position and will not close. I do have some smithing experience but not with this gun. I can't find anything on the gun except a together view. I'm not ready to attempt a disassembly without having an exploded view. No gunsmith local to me.
The second issue is I need a replacement butt stock for said shotgun. The one that is on the gun has a crack all the way through and has a couple of wood screws holding it together along with what looks like a rivet completely through the stock. Help please!!!
Posted By: Douglas71 Re: Hunter Arms Fulton Special - 03/13/20 02:21 PM
Any one here have more info on The Fulton Special 12ga.? I inherited this gun and was wanting to get it back to shooting condition. I have 2 issues with this gun. First the gun is breached in the open position and will not close. I do have some smithing experience but not with this gun. I can't find anything on the gun except a together view. I'm not ready to attempt a disassembly without having an exploded view. No gunsmith local to me.
The second issue is I need a replacement butt stock for said shotgun. The one that is on the gun has a crack all the way through and has a couple of wood screws holding it together along with what looks like a rivet completely through the stock. Help please!!!
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Hunter Arms Fulton Special - 03/13/20 02:47 PM
Without seeing gun hard to diagnose the closing problem, but I'm thinking the gun is in the fired position. I would start by taking a strong flat blade screwdriver and going through the receiver put the blade underneath the cocking plate and pry up until you hear the sears click to the hammers.
The clocking plate hook should be facing down, not up.

I repaired a stock like yours and is easy enough to fix if you are willing to spend the time. The one I fixed had a rivet type screw in the cheek. The long crack can also be fixed. Finding a stock is going to be hard.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/sCSygl7.jpg?1[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/EJrWwMa.jpg?1[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/SLfbzeG.jpg?1[/img]
Posted By: Douglas71 Re: Hunter Arms Fulton Special - 04/02/20 02:18 AM
Thanks for the reply David. I will try this when I get off work.
Posted By: Douglas71 Re: Hunter Arms Fulton Special - 04/02/20 02:20 AM
I did find a butt stock but it states that it is for a .410. Not sure if it would work with my 12ga. I've only see a couple of the Fulton Specials and they were all 12ga's.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Hunter Arms Fulton Special - 04/02/20 11:55 AM
Most likely the .410 stock is going to be of shorter dimensions. There were 2 Fulton Specials made in .410.
Try and see if you can fix the stock, if you have never taken one of these apart it can be tricky putting it back. Let me know if you decide and have any problems, I might be able to help.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com