doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Tom Bryant US Open Sporting Clays - 05/31/16 04:51 PM
Heading out in a few minutes for the Open. I looked at squadding this morning, and to my pleasant surprise I find myself shooting the side-by-side event with Leighton Stallones. I look forward to meeting him and know there's one squad that will have a couple of classic doubles. I'll be shooting my 1884 Thomas Mortimer again.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 05/31/16 08:11 PM
Tom, good to see you posting. You've now left Cabela's, right? More time to relax and enjoy life! Let us know how the shoot goes.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 05/31/16 08:20 PM
Tom,

You are in for a treat. I was squadded with Leighton at the 2010 Open in Tunica. We really had a good time. Please give him my best, and tell him I am envious of both of you. Have a good time, and I will be watching the scores. Tell him I will be glad to give him $50 more than he paid for that old Cashmore. wink

All my best, SRH
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/01/16 03:21 AM
Looking forward to it. Unfortunately the weather is a major issue. We'll see what happens. Teague is on the edge of the threat. Lots of flooding all around. I brought rain gear and gore Tex shoes. I'll deliver the messages. Shooting the Southeastern, Stan?
Posted By: bobski Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/01/16 12:16 PM
is ken nelson attending?
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/01/16 01:39 PM
No US Open for me this year. Too many irons in the fire and other shoots on the agenda. Not a bad problem to have smile
Posted By: bobski Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/01/16 02:22 PM
theres always next year!

say hello to dan e. for me. wish him well and tell him we still have a free spot for him at the oct shoot.

stay in touch. be safe in twister country.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/01/16 04:50 PM
Big shoot with Dan on Friday......hoping the precip stay's away.
I will relay your hello.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/02/16 03:07 PM
Looks like bad rain right now. Glad I stayed home, no thanks to deep mud and wet targets and traps, guns, clothes, cart, shells, you name it. For those who are there, have a great time!
JR
Posted By: btdtst Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/02/16 03:28 PM
At the risk of sounding really ignorant...where is this being held?
Posted By: Stallones Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/02/16 04:03 PM
Tom and Stan, I will be there with my Old Hammer Cashmore. I am leaving in about 30 minutes. I am worried about the Rain and flooding as Caney Creek is close.
But as usual, the things we worry about the most never seem to happen. Stan, I know Jawga is a long way to come but We will give you a report as things evolve.
Tom, I think we shoot SxS on Saturday?
Posted By: bobski Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/02/16 04:41 PM
anyone know what the entry fees will be for the match?
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/02/16 05:44 PM
Registration is closed.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/02/16 05:45 PM
Originally Posted By: btdtst
At the risk of sounding really ignorant...where is this being held?

Teague, TX. About 50-60 miles east of Waco.
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shooting-sports/
JR
Posted By: btdtst Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/02/16 08:45 PM
John Roberts thank you for the information.
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/02/16 10:17 PM
It is definitely rain filled. My FITASC was cancelled today, and when driving out, I had to back up 1/2 mile. Caney Creek was over the bridge and I don't do stupid things like drive where I can't see. Shoot is at Caney Creek Sporting Clays in Teague, TX - about 45 miles east of Waco.
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/02/16 10:20 PM
Leighton, yes. SxS is 11am on Saturday for us. Hope you packed wet-weather gear and muck boots.
Posted By: bobski Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/02/16 10:37 PM
i'll try again........

how much does it cost to attend the u.s. open.

the last u.s.open cost me about 600.00 for all my chosen events. just wondering if its changed any.
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/03/16 12:12 AM
Cost depends on what you decide to shoot. There are 1400 registered targets available. Except for the main and FITASC events, it's about $1 per target. Main was $281 and FITASC is $160. Sorry I didn't reply when you asked the first time.
Posted By: bobski Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/03/16 02:12 PM
thats ok.
the price seems to have stayed the same over time. like any meet, you can make it as costly or frugal as you want.
thanks.
Posted By: Stallones Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/05/16 02:06 AM
Tom and I met and had a great time shooting the SxS. Weather is terrible, MUD and water is awful ,but the Targets were good. I had a 84 ish going into the last EASY
STATION and dropped five birds. It was the Cashmores fault I BELIEVE getting too nervous. Tom learned how to push an EZGO out of the Texas MUD
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/05/16 03:16 AM
Sounds like fun. 😉

Good shooting in the Prelim and first leg of the Main, Leighton.

SRH
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/06/16 06:51 PM
Had a wonderful time with Leighton and his lovely wife. The mud was incredible - so bad I just threw my shoes away (Gore-Tex must have worn through as they were no longer waterproof). Leighton shot very well, as did our very kind squad mate. I looked like I'd never pulled a trigger before. It was still a great shoot, meeting new friends and having one fine job interview while I was there.
Posted By: Stallones Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/06/16 08:23 PM
If anyone would like to see pictures of the US OPEN, send me an e mail
l.stallones@centurytel.net
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/06/16 08:31 PM
When will you be back in Nebraska, Tom...???
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/06/16 08:32 PM
I looked at the scores afterwards. Radulovich was just crazy good. 197 x 200 on U S Open type targets is just lights out shooting. I heard it was indeed a muddy mess, though.

Glad you enjoyed yourself, Tom. Leighton is "good folks". Hope you and I get to shoot together one day.

All my best, SRH
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/06/16 09:17 PM
Chuck, I'm here and have no plans to go anywhere anytime soon - other than day trips. Have to try and get my house ready to sell.
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/06/16 09:18 PM
Stan, I do hope we can make that happen.
Posted By: Stallones Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/06/16 09:48 PM
Tom, tell me again the name of that "old Antique shotgun" that you were shooting in the event

And e mail me about the San Antonio visit at the USO
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/07/16 02:22 AM
The old antique is a Thomas Mortimer. I love that gun - even when I let it down.
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/07/16 02:06 PM
Tom, I'll give you a heads up, and will likely see you next week...
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: US Open Sporting Clays - 06/07/16 10:09 PM
Sounds good, sir.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com