doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: df06 Barrel selector, single trigger - 05/27/16 05:33 PM

I have two SXS shotguns, both single trigger, my preference.
One is a CSMC RBL 20 ga. The barrel selector is moved to the left to shoot the left barrel.
The other gun is a Merkel 147E 16 ga. On this gun, you move the barrel selector to the left to shoot the right barrel. Just got this gun and really like its feel, looks and how it fits me. Have not shot it yet.
Seems odd to me that these barrel selectors are opposite? Am I missing something?
I have been shooting two barrel shotguns since the early 1980s and very rarely switch barrels on game, so its not a big deal to me, but curious about this.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Barrel selector, single trigger - 05/27/16 05:54 PM
In England they drive on the left

In France they drive on the right.

Must be a hell of a mess in the middle of the Chunnel.

Edit: On my Foxes the Kautzky single trigger barrel selector moves forward and backward.
Posted By: gunut Re: Barrel selector, single trigger - 05/27/16 07:51 PM
yea I know what you mean...first time I shot my sst 147 merkel back in the 90s....I thought what the hell??
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Barrel selector, single trigger - 05/27/16 09:52 PM
You think that is confusing, try tossing a couple of O/Us, with different kinds of barrel selectors into the mix. I hate barrel selectors. If I don't have double triggers on a gun I'd just as soon it not have a barrel selector either.

SRH
Posted By: Buzz Re: Barrel selector, single trigger - 05/27/16 10:03 PM
The Browning Superposed (I know, I'm talking an O/U :-( ) safety/barrel selector is the only bad fault of the guns. Before I had my 20 ga barrel selector locked to shoot only the bottom barrel 1st, I can't tell you how many times it would get caught in the middle when the birds went out. Albeit, this was a well used gun, no telling how many times the safety button had been actuated........but still a bad fault, imho.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Barrel selector, single trigger - 05/27/16 10:11 PM
AND the safety on my drilling is on the SIDE frown
and the rifle barrel selector is where the safety should be !!!!

My 20 gauge Lightning Superposed has the safety selector pinned to shoot the bottom barrel first and no hang-up when I move the safety to the fire position.

Mike
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Barrel selector, single trigger - 05/27/16 10:31 PM
A superposed barrel gun should always fire the bottom barrel first, IMO.

SRH
Posted By: df06 Re: Barrel selector, single trigger - 05/28/16 01:05 AM
Originally Posted By: buzz
The Browning Superposed (I know, I'm talking an O/U :-( ) safety/barrel selector is the only bad fault of the guns. Before I had my 20 ga barrel selector locked to shoot only the bottom barrel 1st, I can't tell you how many times it would get caught in the middle when the birds went out. Albeit, this was a well used gun, no telling how many times the safety button had been actuated........but still a bad fault, imho.

Been there and done that on several Citoris. That is the worst barrel selector.

Thanks for all the replies on the original question. I thought possibly this gun had been modified, but apparently not. I just bought it and it appears unfired.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Barrel selector, single trigger - 05/28/16 03:21 PM
Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike

Edit: On my Foxes the Kautzky single trigger barrel selector moves forward and backward.

Same system on a gun I have with a single selective Miller. Forward is off, R barrel. Middle is safe. Back is off, L barrel first.
Posted By: Cobbhead Re: Barrel selector, single trigger - 05/29/16 02:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan
A superposed barrel gun should always fire the bottom barrel first, IMO.

SRH
Stan, I know it is what everyone says, but would you mind explaining exactly why? I shoot a couple o/u guns, primarily for hunting. I always shoot the top barrel first. My flawed logic is, if I only fire once, I can more easily reload. I find reloading quickly a benefit when waterfowl hunting in case I need to water swat a cripple and grouse hunting provides regular opportunities for delayed flush shots. I've tried bottom barrel first but don't appreciate any significant difference while shooting.

Steve
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Barrel selector, single trigger - 05/29/16 05:31 PM
Steve, if it works well for you to shoot the top barrel first, I wouldn't concern myself with it a bit. And it's not flawed logic at all. As for me, I can absolutely tell the difference in recovery time, from the recoil of the first shot, if I fire the bottom barrel first. My Perazzi is built that way, so I can't change it, but my other O/Us can be selected.

There are two circumstances, for me, where that quicker recovery makes a difference. One is a true pair of clays which are set in such a way that the second bird is an easier target, or less complex, the quicker it is shot after the first bird. One example of this that comes to mind is a situation where you have a low bird that must be shot first, then a chondelle. The nearer the top of the arc a chondelle is taken the easier target it is.

Another situation for me is dove shooting. One of the joys of it all for me is pushing myself to shoot as well as I possibly can. I'm competing with no one except myself. The ultimate feat to pull off on a dove field, for me, is taking two incomers in such a way that the second bird falls in front of me, or at my feet. Of course, doing this regularly requires planning to do it before you ever mount the gun, as you see the birds approaching. When I see an opportunity to possibly do this I say to myself "This is a two-fer". The first bird is taken well out front, then a very quick follow-up shot bags the second. A wild quail covey rise is another place I want quick recovery from recoil, though not to the extent as on sporting clays, where one bird can either get you into a shoot-off or keep you from having to be in one.

All my best, SRH
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Barrel selector, single trigger - 05/29/16 06:04 PM
Stan;
Just wondering; are the two barrels choked the same on the O/U you use for dove? While in full agreement that firing the lower barrel first should give quicker recovery, it also would seem in the situation that you describe if chokes are different it would be highly desirable to fire the tighter choked one first, reserving the more open pattern for that closer in bird.
Posted By: Crowley Re: Barrel selector, single trigger - 05/29/16 06:26 PM
My 1892 H&H has an auto safety that moves to the rear to fire.
Barrel selection is never a problem, each bbl has its own trigger.
danc
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Barrel selector, single trigger - 05/29/16 06:41 PM
Miller, the dove O/U is a 20 ga. Beretta 687 SP II with 30" barrels. I use extended chokes in it usually, just for the ease of changing. When taking incomers, like I described, I use an IM choke in the bottom barrel to take the first bird as far out as I can make myself drop the hammer. I tested myself in Argentina on two trips, trying to make myself shoot so early that I could not kill an incomer because it was too far out there. I never did find out. An incoming dove exposes everything important to you .... head and neck, breast, and wing bones. A 7/8 oz. load of 7 1/2s will kill him much farther than I can make myself shoot him, with an IM choke. I like an IC in the top, or second barrel. Many times, at the sound of the first shot, the other doves will flare to one side or the other, giving you a jiving, darting crosser of sorts. But, every now and then, the second bird will keep coming straight at you, which is classic. I have taken the first bird way out front, then taken the second and caught it in my hand as it fell ..... kinda like a high fly ball in center field. 😀

Big fun. SRH
Posted By: tudurgs Re: Barrel selector, single trigger - 05/31/16 02:34 AM
I still think the barrel selector/safety on the Remington 3200 is the best. Safe in the center, left selects the bottom barrel, right selects the top. Easy, clean and safe ( and you can shoot in cold weather 'cause your glove won't get buggered up in two triggers)
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Barrel selector, single trigger - 05/31/16 02:58 AM
Stan;
That makes perfect sense with interchangeable chokes. In the case of a fixed choke O/U the top barrel is usually the tightest one, so choked backwards for incomers if the bottom barrel is fired first.
Posted By: mergus Re: Barrel selector, single trigger - 05/31/16 03:10 PM
I too shoot the bottom barrel first. It started with the first double I'd ever owned, a double trigger O/U of such dubvious quality that I hesitate to mention its make. The second O/U I owned was a Citori, which is my main go to gun. I didn't want to have to try to remember what happened to which barrels, when I was doing a speed reloading while not looking (diver duck hunting can be like that).

As to recoil recovery, as most of my shooting is heavy loads of 3" non toxic shells, I absolutely believe the lower barrel is quicker to recover from.

Mergus
Posted By: King Brown Re: Barrel selector, single trigger - 05/31/16 08:29 PM
And standing in a skiff, diver duck hunting is a whole other thing.
Posted By: Hoof Re: Barrel selector, single trigger - 06/01/16 02:34 AM
If I could get all my doubles with double single triggers I would.
I can't believe that isn't a more popular system.
CHAZ
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Barrel selector, single trigger - 06/01/16 10:47 AM
Any sxs made with the double single system? I know about early Superposeds, and I owned a Spanish OU (Laurona) set up that way.
Posted By: Tyler Re: Barrel selector, single trigger - 06/01/16 01:46 PM
Have "fooled" with all types of single selective triggers: H pattern on Brownings, trigger button on Model 21's and Skb's,
the pendulum on the Ruger Red Label. They are all inferior to the original barrel selector, double triggers. I have a 12 gauge Beretta 626 Sporting Clays model that I bought used after shooting a borrowed one well. Had seller send it straight to Cole for double triggers. Just bought one of the Upgraded 626 Black Onyx from Cabela's a couple of months ago. 20 gauge with 30 inch barrels and sweet wood. Also had them send it to Cole's first for double triggers. (should be a great dove gun) I have tried most all of the "gadgets", that are trying to fix something that was never broke.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com