doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: JNW BSS automatic safety - 04/14/16 02:23 AM
How does one go about inactivating the automatic safety on a BSS?

Gratuitous photo of my BSS. Note the spectacular wood!

Thanks,
Jeff
Posted By: Chuck H Re: BSS automatic safety - 04/14/16 04:48 AM
Take the butt stock off by removing the butt plate and the draw bolt. Take the receiver off and then remove the safety button which should allow you to take the rod out. Simply flip the rod around and reinstall it and all the other parts.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: BSS automatic safety - 04/14/16 10:22 AM
This picture shows the safety rod and the button - retainer clip - bar .

You need to remove that clip so the 90 degree bar and rod can be taken out. Just flip the rod around so the collar on the rod can't push on the bar. The rod is flipped around in this picture. Note how far the collar is from the 90 degree bar.

Posted By: L. Brown Re: BSS automatic safety - 04/14/16 11:21 AM
Re wood on a BSS . . . In general, from what I've observed, the Charles Daly guns made by Miroku seem to have better wood than do the BSS.
Posted By: Replacement Re: BSS automatic safety - 04/14/16 02:12 PM
Quote:

That gun obviously has wood sourced from Beretta.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: BSS automatic safety - 04/14/16 02:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Replacement
Quote:

That gun obviously has wood sourced from Beretta.

Could be someone in Browning management simply thought it way too fancy to put on an A5.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: John Roberts Re: BSS automatic safety - 04/14/16 02:35 PM
Piss elm was Browning's favorite wood for the BSS, though a few did escape with decent black walnut. Yours has a piece of select piss elm, JNW.
JR
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: BSS automatic safety - 04/14/16 03:16 PM
Looks like a Perazzi skid board, AKA stock blank. A friend ruled out Perazzi, he said the forend matches the butt stock so it can NOT be a Perazzi

bill
Posted By: LeverHead Re: BSS automatic safety - 04/14/16 03:18 PM
I think the wood looks nice in a floor-board kind of way.
Posted By: wyobirds Re: BSS automatic safety - 04/14/16 03:47 PM
Below are two BSS’s. the first one is a Sporter with standard wood and the second gun is a Sporter with Browning upgraded wood.

Posted By: Saskbooknut Re: BSS automatic safety - 04/14/16 05:06 PM
Kudos for a crystal clear answer to the OP question, Chuck.
Thank you.
Posted By: JNW Re: BSS automatic safety - 04/14/16 06:02 PM
Chuck,
Thanks for your reply. Mine's a non-selective trigger so don't know if it's the same. I'll look at it this weekend.
On the plus side I don't have to worry about scratching a pretty piece of wood. My German guns came with wood not quite as nice as the BSS.
Regards
Jeff
Posted By: Chuck H Re: BSS automatic safety - 04/14/16 08:33 PM
Jeff
The non-selective trigger has the same safety.
Posted By: JNW Re: BSS automatic safety - 04/14/16 10:12 PM
Again, thank you.
Jeff
Posted By: John Roberts Re: BSS automatic safety - 04/15/16 12:51 AM
I had a 20 ga. BSS with the sst that I did the suggested procedure on for disconnecting the auto safety. It worked, but had consistent ftf's on the second barrel.
JR
Posted By: Chuck H Re: BSS automatic safety - 04/15/16 03:53 AM
John
I don't know why that would be. Did you try putting it back to the original orientation and did it fix it?
Posted By: John Roberts Re: BSS automatic safety - 04/15/16 07:22 PM
No, I traded it for a Beretta A400. Afaik, the dealer sold it without any repercussions.
JR
Posted By: Chuck H Re: BSS automatic safety - 04/17/16 09:42 AM
John
My thought is that it was coincidental. The rod orientation shouldn't affect the trigger.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: BSS automatic safety - 04/17/16 05:40 PM
I agree, Chuck.
JR
Posted By: David Re: BSS automatic safety - 04/18/16 12:40 AM
Several years ago I had a problem BSS with failure to fire the left barrel when the right barrel was selected to fire first. Both barrels would fire just fine if the left barrel was fired first. I came to find that upon recoil the left hammer would wedge against some wood on the buttstock and would not move. A little work with a small chisel fixed it just fine and it has never given a bit of trouble since.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com