doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: mtwoodson Kawaguchiya Model L II , Any Thoughts? - 01/18/16 06:29 PM
Looking at a Kawaguchiya Firearms Co. (Yup, KFC) Model L II. Looks to be in very nice condition and I coulod use a utility 20ga SxS. Most of my Googling so far has come up with generally favborable things to say about them. Anyone here have and 1st or even just 2nd hand experience with them? This appears to be a 28" box lock with straight stock and DT. Thanks for your thoughts. Steve

Thanks for the input. Got it and am tickled to death with it. Hope to get out with it soon. Nice BLNE with DT, 28" barrels choked Improved and full. Here are some picks. [img:left]http://[/img] [img]http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/swjnsn/slideshow/Kamaguchiya[/img]
Posted By: Kyrie Re: Kawaguchiya Model L II , Any Thoughts? - 01/18/16 07:17 PM
Here are pictures of mine:

http://s295.photobucket.com/user/Kyrie_Ellison/slideshow/A_Temp/Kawaguchiya?sort=9

Encountered it at auction the summer of 2014, liked its looks, took it for about $900 if memory serves. It turned out to me a light game gun. Stout recoil even shooting light skeet/wobble trap loads. At wobble trap I offered to let anyone shoot it who wanted to. Four people fired one shot and handed it back as having too much recoil. One fellow shot an entire station (five shots) and returned it, saying it was unpleasant to shoot.

This one is a beautiful gun, but not for the faint hearted.
Posted By: mtwoodson Re: Kawaguchiya Model L II , Any Thoughts? - 01/18/16 08:08 PM
Kyrie, Fortunately for me, I'm either not very recoil sensitive, or just too stupid to acknowledge recoil. The KFC that I'm eyeing has a different finish that looks like nicely done color case hardening and more engraving coverage than shown in your pics. When it's mine I'll post some pics. Thanks again.
Posted By: Kyrie Re: Kawaguchiya Model L II , Any Thoughts? - 01/18/16 08:43 PM
Please do! Before I encountered that Kawaguchiya I'd never even heard the name. I bought the gun because I liked its looks and the price was right. I'm also not sensitive to recoil so shooting it doesn't bother me. By the sound of it your gun is a knock out and I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Posted By: NCTarheel Re: Kawaguchiya Model L II , Any Thoughts? - 01/19/16 02:29 AM
I have read that Kawaguchiya Firearms Company only contracted the manufacturing of their firearms through B.C. Miroku, and I have read that Kawaguchiya (KFC) is the parent company of B.C. Miroku. I have no personal knowledge of the facts regarding the B.C. Miroku and Kawaguchiya relationship, but I know of a Kawaguchiya Model F sidelock made by B.C. Miroku for Kawaguchiya that is a really nice, very well-made side-by-side shotgun. Unfortunately, Kawaguchiya has no name recognition whatsoever in the marketplace, and there is little information on the Internet.
Before Ivory Beads closed, the boys told me that KFC was the early name for what is now known as Miroku, and the guns were also sold as My Luck. So, if true, the KFC is a Miroku. I'd buy that one.
Posted By: tw Re: Kawaguchiya Model L II , Any Thoughts? - 01/19/16 03:45 AM
I waited this one out to see what might surface. To the best of my knowledge, both NCT & Replacement are correct to some extent. I'm still not positive that Miroku does not translate as 'my luck'. It may or may not & I spent many an hour speaking w/Japanese who were post occupation gun owners trying to get a better grasp on the shotgun history there. At best, it remains sketchy.

The gun being described quite likely has chopper lump bbls. and is well fit [& possibly even finished on the inside, some were]. You may not be having to pay much for it due to the confusion w/the name, but I'll assure you it is well above a utility grade gun. Buy it if the price is anywhere close to reasonable and grin all the way home. If the stock is too short, you can add length with a pad or spacer or both and if the dimensions are 'off' it can be hot oil bent, within reason, to better suit your needs.

Appropriate sized shot for the intended quarry in a 20ga. NEVER requires more than 7/8oz. shot, IMHO. Don't get caught up hammering the gun to death w/heavy loads & you'll be quite happy w/the results.

kind regards, tw

Look forward to your pictures as well.
Posted By: Cameron Re: Kawaguchiya Model L II , Any Thoughts? - 01/19/16 04:42 AM
I owned a Pieper Bayard that had marked on the barrels "Made for the Kawaguchiya Firearms Company." Sold it a few years ago. I never did try and do any research on the connection between Kawaguchiya and Pieper.
I have a BC "My Luck" Miroku L-Ii in 12ga and it's a great gun. bought it from a retired navy vet that purchased it japan while stationed there. I'd love to have one in 20ga. Mine is pictured here (bottom gun)

Posted By: eightbore Re: Kawaguchiya Model L II , Any Thoughts? - 01/19/16 03:38 PM
A shooting buddy scored a wonderful 32" KFC a few years ago, before we knew anything beyond "Maybe Colonel Sanders' Pigeon Gun". Thanks for all this research.
In the early 80s this company made semi-automatic shotgun with fewest parts. There was an article on it in second or third edition of The Shotgun Digest. I have never seen side-by-side from them.
Posted By: mtwoodson Re: Kawaguchiya Model L II , Any Thoughts? - 01/20/16 02:01 AM
Pics added to original post.
Posted By: NCTarheel Re: Kawaguchiya Model L II , Any Thoughts? - 01/20/16 03:30 AM
About the only negative to a Kawaguchiya or B.C. Miroku firearm is the pallet grade wood typically used for stocking. Fully functional, but truly boring to have to look at. The sidelocks are worthy of a re-stock...the boxlocks???

https://www.google.com/search?q=Kawaguchiya+shotgun+Model+F&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=799&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi454WZurfKAhXHKCYKHc1JC1sQ7AkIJg#imgrc=7ZvcVl3zfkcTeM%3A
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Kawaguchiya Model L II , Any Thoughts? - 01/20/16 04:18 AM
+1 B C My Luck. Lotta gun for the $325 I paid for it many years ago.

DDA
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Kawaguchiya Model L II , Any Thoughts? - 01/21/16 01:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Replacement
Before Ivory Beads closed, the boys told me that KFC was the early name for what is now known as Miroku, and the guns were also sold as My Luck. So, if true, the KFC is a Miroku. I'd buy that one.

I had a Miroku Model M--more basic gun than the ones pictured, almost no engraving--that also said Kawaguchiya. It's always been my understanding that Kawaguchiya became Miroku. My Luck, I recall reading, was the name they put on guns made for English-speaking countries. They found out the name didn't appeal, so they changed it to Miroku. Not a translation per se, but the "Japanized" version of My Luck. Maybe stuck with that because it's easier to pronounce and remember than Kawaguchiya.
Posted By: Mark II Re: Kawaguchiya Model L II , Any Thoughts? - 01/21/16 09:57 PM
On some models the ejector trip designs can be a little shaky. The ejectors are fine and strong. If there is a small round rod that projects from the knuckle when the hammers are tripped, you have a less reliable trip than the ones that are part of the cocking levers.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Kawaguchiya Model L II , Any Thoughts? - 01/22/16 01:51 AM
Many years ago there was a fellow in Seguin Texas that imported some of these guns. We in Texas called them Kentucky Fried Chicken Guns

John
Quality Arms
Houston, TX
Posted By: drduc Re: Kawaguchiya Model L II , Any Thoughts? - 01/25/16 05:57 PM
A local dealer who fired over a million registered trap rounds told me they were good guns but got priced out of them market in the 80s. I bought a single barrel trap from him about 20 years ago for $300. It served me well and then I traded it for something else. The Miroku FE is an outstanding sidelock. I missed one last year. Haven't seen one since.
Posted By: mtwoodson Re: Kawaguchiya Model L II , Any Thoughts? - 01/25/16 06:45 PM
Tis one was initially advertised as a KFC Model F and I nearly wet my pants at the affordable price. Turned out it was "only" a Model L II and I was still pleased to get it.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com