doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: max SKB doubling issue - 09/22/15 11:30 PM
I have a high grade over/under SKB model 5000 that I have owned for about six years. It has served me well until recently. The last couple of times shooting skeet, the gun has doubled several times. Does anyone have any thoughts as to the problem. I have never cleaned the action. Have I developed a mechanical issue??

Regards,

Max
Posted By: mc Re: SKB doubling issue - 09/22/15 11:35 PM
try cleaning it.
Posted By: tut Re: SKB doubling issue - 09/22/15 11:40 PM
I had an Athena (same innards) did the same thing. I sent it back to Weatherby and they fixed it for free. Gun was brand new.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: SKB doubling issue - 09/23/15 12:30 AM
A good cleaning would be first on the list.

Remove the barrels, make sure the top lever is tripped to the center, remove the recoil pad, remove the bolt from under the recoil pad that draws the action into the butt.

Unless you are a gunsmith, I'd stop the disassembly there and simply either use a pan of Stoddard solvent (mineral spirits) or an automotive parts cleaning tank. Use a light oil to lube the moving parts, put it back together.
Posted By: tw Re: SKB doubling issue - 09/23/15 04:32 AM
Unless the gun has seen quite a lot of use, I'd suspect the issue is simply that you are not holding it as tight in the 'pocket' [onto/into your shoulder] as you used to. In other words, that you are loosely mounting the gun. It is perhaps the most common cause of having a gun double .. it is quite literally bouncing into your finger and firing twice in a very rapid succession and may well have zero mechanical issues involved.

If there is any staccato when it is doubling as opposed to a single 'big bang', that is the likely cause.

I'd suggest that you go back to the skeet field and make that determination first by mounting your gun quite solidly, if you are shooting pre-mounted. That type of 'doubling' is much less likely to occur when shooting low gun, but it can if the gun is not brought into the 'pocket' securely.

Once done to make that determination first, then I would do as Chuck & others suggest. If you are not comfortable doing it, then ask here for a competent gunsmith to do a 'strip & clean' in your area.
Posted By: tut Re: SKB doubling issue - 09/23/15 10:59 AM
Originally Posted By: tw
Unless the gun has seen quite a lot of use, I'd suspect the issue is simply that you are not holding it as tight in the 'pocket' [onto/into your shoulder] as you used to. In other words, that you are loosely mounting the gun. It is perhaps the most common cause of having a gun double .. it is quite literally bouncing into your finger and firing twice in a very rapid succession and may well have zero mechanical issues involved.

If there is any staccato when it is doubling as opposed to a single 'big bang', that is the likely cause.

When my Athena doubled it was both barrels going off simultaneously. Will certainly get your attention as the gun was a 12 gauge.

I'd suggest that you go back to the skeet field and make that determination first by mounting your gun quite solidly, if you are shooting pre-mounted. That type of 'doubling' is much less likely to occur when shooting low gun, but it can if the gun is not brought into the 'pocket' securely.

Once done to make that determination first, then I would do as Chuck & others suggest. If you are not comfortable doing it, then ask here for a competent gunsmith to do a 'strip & clean' in your area.

When my Athena doubled it was both barrels going off simultaneously. Will get your attention in a 12 gauge for sure.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: SKB doubling issue - 09/23/15 09:19 PM
But think of the pattern it throws, Tut! smile
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: SKB doubling issue - 09/23/15 09:27 PM
Double your triggers and double your fun! I think the single trigger was the work of the devil.
Posted By: max Re: SKB doubling issue - 09/25/15 02:49 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Gunsmith cleaning fixed the problem. From now on, I will clean the action every five years.

Regards,

Max
Posted By: xs hedspace Re: SKB doubling issue - 09/25/15 07:50 PM
I had an SKB 20 ga SXS that (I think) I pushed the selector halfway over, and it was only a 6 lb gun and the first time I tried 3" mag shells. WOW, spun me around, drove me about a foot deeper into the swamp I was standing in. Stock had too much drop for me, anyway, sold it at a show. Made me very nervous afterward....
Posted By: L. Brown Re: SKB doubling issue - 09/25/15 09:19 PM
Ithaca SKB's are pretty good about NOT doubling. However, if they do, it's often a result of heavy loads. The 20ga sxs were all 3", and 2 mags going off at once in a gun that weighs 6 or less can be quite a shock.
Posted By: tanky Re: SKB doubling issue - 09/26/15 02:26 AM
My sxs 12 doubled on me. When I opened it up there was a piece of the epoxy bedding they use bouncing around in there, Yes 2 1/4 ozs of shot out of a 7lbs gun gets your attention. SKB's sxs single trigger is very reliable in my experience. I can't speak for the OU though. Dirt and debris will change it's operation for the worst.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com