doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: bls Dating a W.C. Scott & Son- Water Table Photo - 09/19/15 11:45 PM
Gents- would love some help dating this water table. Pretty sure its Birmingham but no date code is stamped and I'm new and stumped.
12ga 2 5/8" Chambers! 28" Bbls, Non Ejector [img:left][/img]
Serial number begins with 85,XXX

Thanks!

Proved in Birmingham under the rules of 1904 to 1925.
Posted By: bls Re: Dating a W.C. Scott & Son- Water Table Photo - 09/19/15 11:57 PM
WOW! Thanks Joe- I didn't think it was that Old. I've found a few references to the marks, but I have not seen any references to the 'bullet with wings' (or whatever it is!) on the very top of the photo. The right side of that mark has a W.S. under it.

Also- I'm surprised it would have been proofed at 1 1/8oz. Is it possible this was a re-proof at some point?
Does the serial number end with 603?

Sorry, I had to...
Posted By: bls Re: Dating a W.C. Scott & Son- Water Table Photo - 09/20/15 12:03 AM
Yep.....no more wine for ME! I saw that but was too lazy to take another picture. Nice friendly jab accepted!
The 1 1/8 oz proof was standard for 2 1/2" chambers. If it had been made with 2 3/4" chambers the proof would have been 1 1/4 oz.
Incidentally, your gun was made in 1909. You can find the serial number range under "Other Useful Information" at the bottom of this screen.
Posted By: bls Re: Dating a W.C. Scott & Son- Water Table Photo - 09/20/15 01:19 AM
I saw the chart with "High Grade Guns" but being a newcomer I was quite unsure if this gun would qualify as a "High Grade" WC Scott. Also the script on the side of the receiver is not bold but a slight cursive.
Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Proved in Birmingham under the rules of 1904 to 1925.

Easy tip to remember on guns proofed under the rules of 1925 (or later): The chamber length will be marked.
The "Flying Bullet" was Webley and Scott trade mark . Interested in what you are covering up in the photo though .
Originally Posted By: gunman
Interested in what you are covering up in the photo though .

His Social Security Number? wink laugh
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com