doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gil russell French Gray with Bulino (sp) Engraving - 06/21/15 09:46 PM
I am thinking about re-doing a receiver that Ken Hurst did for me several years ago, partially scroll and partially Bulino--wonderful job. Subject(s) are my dog (which had just died) and a Gambels quail.

I sent it out to be hot blued (at Ken's suggestion) which worked fine but with the BLUED receiver, the excellent engraving is too hard to see. I am concerned the Bulino might come out too thin and would partially disappear. I think the scroll would stand up to a light strip and polish. Thank you.
Posted By: skeettx Re: French Gray with Bulino (sp) Engraving - 06/21/15 10:26 PM
I think the lighter color does some good

Krieghoff San Remo grade that is lightened

Mike
Posted By: SamW Re: French Gray with Bulino (sp) Engraving - 06/22/15 12:27 AM
Being hot blued it should work fine. Rust bluing can and will pit the metal and sometimes (often) bulino detail is lost during the carding off and pitting process. I have "grayed" a number of such scenes (and scroll) using naval jelly to remove the hot dip blue and cleaning with a non abrasive eraser. I usually coat around the area I want to strip with fingernail polish to keep the naval jelly off the areas I want to keep bluing on and after applying the jelly rinse with hot tap water. Sometimes a second or third coating of the jelly will help get the metal looking good.

For protection after I remove the fingernail polish with acetone I coat the area with Renaissance wax with a tiny bit of lamp black added. This really brings out the engraving.

Yes, we are talking bare metal here and the wax is a good protection for it and can easily be reapplied from time to time.
Though I don't know if he used naval jelly, Ray Cover did something like what Sam describes on my M-21, with selective removal of hot blue from the bulino images he engraved before bluing. We decided to keep the blued finish on other areas of the frame with scroll engraving. (My pics are pretty poor, don't do justice to Ray's work.)

Jay

I love seeing that 21 every time you put it up, Jay. Very classy and tasteful engraving done by a master.
JR
Originally Posted By: John Roberts
I love seeing that 21 every time you put it up, Jay. Very classy and tasteful engraving done by a master.
JR

Thanks John. I had no idea something like this could be done until Ray suggested it.
Posted By: SamW Re: French Gray with Bulino (sp) Engraving - 06/22/15 07:06 PM
You folks might really enjoy Roger Bleile's new book American Engravers III published by Blue Book (bluebookofgunvalues.com). There are examples of grayed scenes as well as a multitude of fine art work.
Posted By: JNW Re: French Gray with Bulino (sp) Engraving - 06/23/15 12:26 AM
Jay,
You have to stop putting up pics of that 21 without letting me see it in person. Do you have it back yet?
Regards,
Jeff
Very nice! A work of art.
Originally Posted By: JNW
Jay,
You have to stop putting up pics of that 21 without letting me see it in person. Do you have it back yet?
Regards,
Jeff

Well, it was kinda on topic, ya know? smile Should have the barrels back from Bachelder's later this summer Jeff.
Here is what I have so far. I am disappointed in the visiblity of the bulino portions and may take them to French gray also. Opinions please! Thanks for the input.

Gil
Posted By: SamW Re: French Gray with Bulino (sp) Engraving - 07/09/15 12:04 AM
I would have grayed the scene first and then decided on the rest of the frame. Once the scene is grayed it should look nice and a coat of Renaissance wax with a tiny bit of lampblack mixed in will help bring out the engraving, darkening all the cuts.
Nice model 17. I would have blued the whole thing. Out in the sun, everything would be visible.

Best,
Ted
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com