doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ithaca1 Ithaca SKB double trigger conversion - 03/13/15 06:32 PM
I have an SKB 100 12ga, single trigger that I use for skeet. All of my field guns are vintage double trigger guns. Has anyone here ever converted an SKB single trigger to DT? If so, do you have a trigger recommendation that may be ez'er to adapt than others, rather than building triggers from scratch? I haven't had it apart yet so I don't know if it is even feasible?

I thought about just selling it and purchasing a modern DT gun, but I shoot it very well. Machining and Tig are not a problem.

Best,
Bill
Ithaca1
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Ithaca SKB trigger question - 03/13/15 07:01 PM
$$$
JR
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Ithaca SKB trigger question - 03/13/15 09:44 PM
I have a friend who's converted one to DT, currently working on a 2nd. He may be along shortly to comment. I've also seen one BSS converted to DT.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Ithaca SKB trigger question - 03/14/15 12:03 AM
I hope he comments LB. It seems doable from looking at the schematics. If you have a chance to prompt him, I'd appreciate it.
Ithaca1
Bill
Posted By: Mark II Re: Ithaca SKB trigger question - 03/14/15 04:05 AM
It is quite doable. I make no changes to the frame, just make a divider-spacer, for between the triggers. find a set of triggers. form some form of projection on the outside of the trigger blades similar to a Flues. The safety is copied ,but has an L shape that leg that projects down either blocks the triggers or you can make it lock the sear tails between the trigger projection and the safety leg so the sears can not move unless the safety is off. can all be done with hand tools. I took some pictures, but will have to find someone way younger to help post them. Mark
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Ithaca SKB trigger question - 03/14/15 02:04 PM
Mark,
I sent you a PM with my e-mail. Will post the pics if you send them. There is a pair of Flues triggers in my junk drawer:)

Best,
Ithaca1
Bill
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Ithaca SKB trigger question - 03/16/15 12:47 AM

Posted By: Mark II Re: Ithaca SKB trigger question - 03/16/15 01:07 AM
In all the pictures, the blue tape is holding in the undersized slave pin I used on the trigger pivot, the copper wire is the temp pin for the safety. The top picture shows the split in the safety leg to trap the sear tails against the trigger trips. It can't jar off.The trips are dovetailed onto the side of the trigger blades. I will try to answer any questions as well as I can. Mark
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Ithaca SKB trigger question - 03/23/15 09:03 PM
Mark,
Flues triggers are rough shaped and pivot pin holes relocated. Tomorrow I'll make the spacer between the triggers. Question. After the sear trips, what did you use for a trigger overtravel stop? My thought was to incorporate the stop in the new safety arm. When the blocks between the triggers and trips are made, the triggers will sit up and back a bit.
Thanks!
Ithaca1

Posted By: Mark II Re: Ithaca SKB trigger question - 03/24/15 12:00 AM
The springs for the sears press the tails down. The safety will also prevent them going up too far. You can unscrew the connector from the end of the bolt to get it out of the way. Without something between the screws in the side of the triggers and the sear tails you will have a 2 stage trigger pull with a lot of take up. Mark
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Ithaca SKB trigger question - 03/24/15 12:33 AM
Mark,
Good evening.
I am going to make "blocks" that screw on the outside of the triggers thru the existing 5-40 holes. They will take up the slack between the trigger and the sear tails. They will also limit how far forward the triggers travel by stopping on the trigger plate.

Thanks,
Bill
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Ithaca SKB trigger question - 03/30/15 12:49 PM
All of the parts are made. Only final fitting is required.
Part on top right is the spacer that will keep the triggers separated. The rectangular piece below the spacer, bolts to the safety and locates on the tails of the triggers. The two small blocks along side of the triggers will bolt to their sides and trip the sear tails.
All in all very simple. I'll take a pic once everything is fitted.
The parts can be fabricated with hand tools. Welding the tails on the triggers may not be necessary, but it was how I thought it would work best.

Enjoy!
Ithaca1

Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Ithaca SKB trigger question - 03/30/15 10:05 PM
Ready to button her up!

Enjoy.
Ithaca1
Bill
Posted By: Fred Lowe Re: Ithaca SKB trigger question - 03/31/15 02:40 AM
+1
That was nice.
I have two 100's 20 ga that I just don't shoot anymore because of the single trigger.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Ithaca SKB trigger question - 03/31/15 12:01 PM
The SKB single trigger is a pretty reliable one. Although I prefer DT's, nice to have at least one ST gun around for cold weather hunting. I recently reacquired, from a hunting partner, the very first sxs I ever owned: Ithaca SKB 150 12ga, 28", IC/M. I bought it new in 1972, Navy Rod & Gun Club, Rota, Spain. Sold it to Jerry a few years later, and he's had it ever since. So I know where it's been for its 40+ year lifespan. I'll play around with Mark's latest conversion when he finishes with it. I do like the idea of a DT SKB, but I'm keeping my original one "original".
Posted By: Mark II Re: Ithaca SKB trigger question - 03/31/15 03:47 PM
By not changing the holes in the trigger plate you can switch back and forth as you wish, or have your "on retainer" gunsmith do it. Personally if it is so cold that I have to wear gloves so thick my double triggers won't work, I don't think I want to go outside. lol MKII
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Ithaca SKB trigger question - 03/31/15 07:23 PM
Mark,
Good afternoon.
I appreciate your help on the project. The only modification I made to an original part was a hole and countersink in the safety slide underneath the top strap. All of the original parts still work and assemble as designed. What a great conversion!

Thanks again,
Bill
Ithaca1
Posted By: Fred Lowe Re: Ithaca SKB trigger question - 04/01/15 04:01 AM
Are the Flues trigger assemblies the same size regardless of gauge, or is a 20 gauge trigger assembly required
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Ithaca SKB trigger question - 04/01/15 10:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Mark II
By not changing the holes in the trigger plate you can switch back and forth as you wish, or have your "on retainer" gunsmith do it. Personally if it is so cold that I have to wear gloves so thick my double triggers won't work, I don't think I want to go outside. lol MKII

Last season, you had to tangle with a horse to have an excuse to avoid hunting in cold weather. smile
Posted By: Mark II Re: Ithaca SKB trigger question - 04/01/15 01:20 PM
Fred, I just used Flues triggers as an example,because they have the screws coming out of the side. I just look for old double trigger sets at gun shows. You want something with lots of material as I find it easier to remove than add on. I dovetail in pieces 90 degrees to the trigger and tall enough to take out trigger slack. send a PM and I'd be more than happy to help. MKII
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Ithaca SKB trigger question - 04/01/15 11:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Mark II
You want something with lots of material as I find it easier to remove than add on.

Thats the truth. I wound up welding a "tail" on the trigger for the safety leg to engage easily. I used Flues triggers and the 5-40 holes made it ez to attach a block to take up the slack between the trigger and sear tail. Its all back together tonight and ready for the range this weekend. I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

Thanks again Mark!!!
Ithaca1
Posted By: hunting16ga Re: Ithaca SKB trigger question - 04/03/15 10:45 PM
Can a model 500 o/u be converted also???
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Ithaca SKB trigger question - 04/04/15 12:19 AM
I have never been inside a 500 but cant imaging it being that difficult.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com