doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Demonwolf444 spring assisted jones underlever? - 02/12/15 12:10 AM
Spring assisted Jones underlevers; does the spring assist in opening or closing?

Does anyone have a diagram of how the mechanism works?

Failing that pictures of one?

Best wishes,

James.
Posted By: Mike Rowe Re: spring assisted jones underlever? - 02/12/15 12:43 AM
The "snap" underlevers (Jones lever over guard) close by spring power. You do need to keep your fingers out of the way!
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: spring assisted jones underlever? - 02/12/15 12:44 AM
I believe the Snap Action Jones(?) will spring back under the trigger guard when the bbls are closed
I'd love to have one..I am a big fan of the manual Stick Shift Jones action.have a nice Greener Hammer with the manual, & love to work the gears
cheers
franc
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: spring assisted jones underlever? - 02/12/15 01:09 AM
My underlever on my Lang snaps back under the trigger guard when the barrels are closed.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: spring assisted jones underlever? - 02/12/15 01:16 AM
I believe all built on the Jones system were inert--that is, had no spring assistance. There were a number of snap under levers that did close themselves.
Posted By: Demonwolf444 Re: spring assisted jones underlever? - 02/12/15 02:12 PM
I am sure i have seen/ heard of spring assised rotary underlevers, but my knowledge for underlever variants is limited.

I have one gun that has a broken coil spring inside the underlever assembly, its a Single bite underlever double pinfire by George Smith, the springs worn but if you put it in just right you can feel the spring resistance on the under lever, i'm looking for a diagram or schematic so i can work out whats going on, and whats missing or broken.
I've seen a couple snap/spring-closing, Jones-style underlever actions.

They've been on hammerless Purdey doubles rifles.

http://www.dogsanddoubles.com/2013/01/shooting-a-rare-purdey-double-rifle/

OWD
Posted By: Demonwolf444 Re: spring assisted jones underlever? - 02/12/15 02:43 PM
Just seen this video through google searching all kinds of variations of spring assisted underlevers, I haven't really gotten on to fully restoring this gun yet as i have a load of other projects on at the moment, but i have disassembled it a few times and there has to be a reason for this coil spring inside the mechanism. The spring and parts are obviously worn but when you catch the spring just right you can feel the spring tension on the under lever. I guess I'll just have to work it out when i get to it. But if anyone comes across any diagrams in their reading please let me know!
Posted By: damascus Re: spring assisted jones underlever? - 02/12/15 02:58 PM
I have always believed that the spring in the Jones underlever was there to pre load the leaver mechanism stopping it swinging about, without this resistance the leaver could easily drift to such a position stopping the action from being closed and generally getting in the way of things.
Posted By: Toby Barclay Re: spring assisted jones underlever? - 02/12/15 04:00 PM
Demonwolf444: Yes there is at least one variant of the Jones Rotary Underlever that is sprung. I currently list an example of this, an Edmund Woods 3" wildfowler http://www.heritageguns.co.uk/Woods%20RUL%2012%20Hgun/Woods%20RUL%2012%20Hgun%20Details.htm
The spring is mounted in a recess in the back of the action and operates an 'over centre' lever that lies under the trigger plate. This lever operates on the axle of the Underlever making it positively snap in when pushed closed and takes it to the fully open position once half open.
It is P Webley's spring assisted bolting patent no. 3022 of 1866.
As Mike Rowe says, keep your fingers clear!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com