doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Gerry Addison What Model is this Arrieta - 01/04/15 07:59 PM
Can anyone give me a model number for the pictured Arrieta. I just can't seem to make it fit any model exactly. Thanks for the help, Gerry Addison, esetter5@me.com
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: What Model is this Arrieta - 01/04/15 08:22 PM
That's a Model 578. Don't let the sideclips fool you, they're optional on all models.

I can see why it's somewhat confusing as the engraver spent a little more time on it, enhancing it with some 803-style flourishing, but the 5-pin locks give it away.
Posted By: Kyrie Re: What Model is this Arrieta - 01/05/15 01:25 AM
Gerry,

The engraving patterns suggests a model 550, or a model 578.

But ultimately the only way to know for sure what model it is would be to ask Arrieta. Arrieta, like just about all the makers, will put any engraving pattern the customer wants on any gun he is willing to pay for.

As far as using the number of visible pins in the locks to determine model, I can only remark that there are as many Arrieta model 578 guns out there with seven pin locks as with five pin locks :-)

But buy the gun rather than the name in any case. That makes model moot.
Posted By: JNW Re: What Model is this Arrieta - 01/05/15 02:26 AM
It looks like a 578. If it's a self opener it's an 803. Those are the 2 models that come with Purdey rose & scroll engraving. The engraving on the 803 is quite a bit deeper.
Regards,
Jeff
Posted By: PALUNC Re: What Model is this Arrieta - 01/05/15 12:46 PM
You can tell by the forend iron. if it is fully engraved it is the 802, if it is sparsely engraved it is the 578.
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: What Model is this Arrieta - 01/05/15 04:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Kyrie

As far as using the number of visible pins in the locks to determine model, I can only remark that there are as many Arrieta model 578 guns out there with seven pin locks as with five pin locks :-)

Please show us a few of those Arrieta 578 guns with seven pin locks, many of us would like to see them. Pics or simple links to them would be fine. Oh, by the way, make sure that those that you come up with aren't 803s or others, misidentified as 578s like this one:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Arrieta-578-Sidelock-Ejector-16-Bore.cfm?gun_id=100514688
Posted By: Kyrie Re: What Model is this Arrieta - 01/05/15 08:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Wild Skies

Please show us a few of those Arrieta 578 guns with seven pin locks, many of us would like to see them. Pics or simple links to them would be fine. Oh, by the way, make sure that those that you come up with aren't 803s or others, misidentified as 578s like this one:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Arrieta-578-Sidelock-Ejector-16-Bore.cfm?gun_id=100514688

If you're actually interested, and not just enjoying being argumentative, get off your butt and do you own research. Remember:

Google Images Is Our Friend.

Use the query string 'Arrieta 578 gun' and you will see any number of Arrieta 578 guns with seven pin locks. You can also see a page from an Arrieta catalog, showing a 578 with (gasp!) seven pin locks.

If you want to get a maker's attention about locks, forget H&H pattern locks and ask to have Purdey pattern locks on your gun. That will get them excited, and run up the cost of the gun by about 2,000 Euro.

Seriously. No one, other than the guys who don't like exposed pins in locks because it breaks up the engraving surface, care how may pins show on the outside of a H&H type of lock. Three pin, four pin, five pin, six pin, seven pin - it doesn't matter. They all work just as well.
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: What Model is this Arrieta - 01/05/15 09:59 PM

If you're actually interested, and not just enjoying being argumentative, get off your butt and do you own research. Remember:

Google Images Is Our Friend.

Use the query string 'Arrieta 578 gun' and you will see any number of Arrieta 578 guns with seven pin locks. You can also see a page from an Arrieta catalog, showing a 578 with (gasp!) seven pin locks.

If you want to get a maker's attention about locks, forget H&H pattern locks and ask to have Purdey pattern locks on your gun. That will get them excited, and run up the cost of the gun by about 2,000 Euro.

Seriously. No one, other than the guys who don't like exposed pins in locks because it breaks up the engraving surface, care how may pins show on the outside of a H&H type of lock. Three pin, four pin, five pin, six pin, seven pin - it doesn't matter. They all work just as well.

Look Kyrie, it's understood that you're extremely sensitive and get uber defensive when someone challenges you. But not to worry, as you're among friends here! smile Hopefully you can get over that soon and we can get on with this discussion just like old pals . . . it was you that made the claim that "there are as many Arrieta model 578 guns out there with seven pin locks as with five pin locks". We're just looking for you to back that claim up. Yes, I saw the ~ 40 year old Arrieta catalog with an illustrator's rendition of a generic 7-pin sidelock with a superimposed image of an engraving pattern on it, but I'll be darned if Google could come up with a few pics of actual guns that have the typical 578 engraving pattern and 7-pin locks. Maybe your Google is different than my Google, so if you would be so kind to provide a few links that shows just how common these 7-pin 578s are we'd be grateful.
TIA,
Posted By: Kyrie Re: What Model is this Arrieta - 01/05/15 10:54 PM
Nice try, but what you asked for was “Please show us a few of those Arrieta 578 guns with seven pin locks”:

#389368 - Today at 10:04 AM

Please show us a few of those Arrieta 578 guns with seven pin locks, many of us would like to see them.

Which you now admit I did:

#389431 - 40 minutes 52 seconds ago

Yes, I saw the ~ 40 year old Arrieta catalog with an illustrator's rendition of a generic 7-pin sidelock with a superimposed image of an engraving pattern on it, but I'll be darned if Google could come up with a few pics of actual guns that have the typical 578 engraving pattern and 7-pin locks.

So I know my “friend and pal” will understand why I’m not interested in his attempt to move the goal posts. The simple fact is you were , let’s say, less than accurate when you wrote that five pins locks “give it away” that a gun is a 578.

Live and learn, “friend and pal”. Or not. Your call.
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: What Model is this Arrieta - 01/05/15 11:56 PM
Forget it.

I knew you couldn't back up your claim.
Posted By: gjw Re: What Model is this Arrieta - 01/06/15 02:10 AM
Wild, it's a lost cause. You'll never win, even when your right! I know.

Just for shi** and giggles, I have a Model 871 with Boss style engraving. It's a dead ringer for their 06 model, looks wise that is.

Take care!

Greg
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: What Model is this Arrieta - 01/06/15 02:29 AM
You know Greg, he had the opportunity to take the high road and share some of his Spanish gun knowledge. Instead, he made an unsubstantiated ludicrous claim, got caught and then followed that up by letting his ego get in the way with his decision to play games and baffle us with his B.S. He left me with little choice but to put him on my Ignore List. Chalk him up as a Troll.
Posted By: Doverham Re: What Model is this Arrieta - 01/06/15 03:19 AM
And here is an 871 with the Model 600 engraving pattern (despite the name on the bottom plate, this is an Arrieta). Assigning model numbers to Spanish guns is an uncertain exercise at best.

Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: What Model is this Arrieta - 01/06/15 04:54 AM
Shades of Robert Chambers.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: What Model is this Arrieta - 01/06/15 06:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones

"I was born, a poor black child...."

Thanks for the memory!

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: What Model is this Arrieta - 01/07/15 01:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones

I'm sorry Mr. Jones but I have to disagree. No malice toward you for your post, but I don't think Kyrie's situation or attitude is at all the same as old Robert.

Kyrie is moderator and apparently the owner of a Spanish Gun Forum which is devoted to historical and technical research and knowledge concerning the Spanish gun industry. The information on their site is likely greater than anywhere including the gun museums in Spain.

Problem is the membership agreement for the forum is quite rigorous.
The main tenet of the membership agreement is that any information, pictures, or other material is the property of the poster and may not be shared on any other public forum or otherwise without the specific consent of the posting member.

Kyrie is scrupulously faithful to that rule. He is extremely generous with the knowledge of Spanish guns he shares with us here, but when challenged as in this thread to post proof, he is simply unable to comply with the challenge without violating other trusts.

On DoubleGun we are used to the unrestricted sharing of our collective knowledge. We are all more knowledgeable for that fact. Our members, especially a few real experts are more than generous with their knowledge. Please remember however that we are not bound by any non-publication agreement.

I am sorry to have run on like that, but I felt the things I posted needed saying...Geo
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com