doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Bending a drawbolt gun? - 12/22/14 03:04 AM
So, is it possible to have draw bolt gun bent to have more drop? This is a Verona O/U that is stocked too high for me. Only other option is an add on rib. Restocking is not feasible.

SRH
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: Bending a drawbolt gun? - 12/22/14 05:04 AM
I had a Perazzi sporting clays gun bent for cast off by Jack Rowe about 20 years ago & I once observed a gunsmith bending a pistol grip Beretta 680 series field gun for both cast & drop at the Grand American when it was held in Vandalia OH (can't remember the gunsmiths name).

From this I would assume that some draw bolt guns can be bent but I've been told that competition guns with thick pistol grips can be difficult to bend.

I would talk to someone who does a lot of stock bending.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Bending a drawbolt gun? - 12/22/14 05:06 AM
Shaving the comb won't work why?
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Bending a drawbolt gun? - 12/22/14 05:20 AM
Stan, The Stock Doctor, Dennis Smith, bends down draw bolt guns all the time. Is it the little .410/28 combo you got from David? My suggestion is shaving the comb, but something tells me you have ruled that out already.
JR
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Bending a drawbolt gun? - 12/22/14 12:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
Shaving the comb won't work why?

Didn't say that wouldn't work, I said it wasn't an option. I'm unwilling to shave off several hundred dollars value of the gun by removing 1/4" to 3/8" DAC. This is a minty little gun and I'll either get it shooting where I want it to or move it on down the road.

John, it is the Verona I bought from David. As I understand it they were nearly all built this way. I will give Dennis a holler and talk with him about it. Thanks for the help.

SRH
Posted By: Doverham Re: Bending a drawbolt gun? - 12/22/14 01:30 PM
I believe drop can be altered through inletting as well. Coles lists the following on their website (I assume this is not limited to Berettas):
Adjust stock dimensions by inletting change on draw bolt stock $100 - 175
Posted By: shinbone Re: Bending a drawbolt gun? - 12/22/14 01:39 PM
I've had lots of drawbolt guns bent. The drawbolt has never presented a problem.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Bending a drawbolt gun? - 12/22/14 02:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Doverham
I believe drop can be altered through inletting as well. Coles lists the following on their website (I assume this is not limited to Berettas):
Adjust stock dimensions by inletting change on draw bolt stock $100 - 175

That's a consideration, but with sideplates I don't know. . This gun is very much like my 687 Beretta except for the sideplates. I may contact Cole's and discuss it with them. No risk of breakage, or it returning to original specs. Thanks.

SRH
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Bending a drawbolt gun? - 12/22/14 02:18 PM
Sideplates could well be a problem for changing the inletting. If it's practical, I'd trust DES to do it well.

Jay
Posted By: Doverham Re: Bending a drawbolt gun? - 12/22/14 02:26 PM
Stan - pm sent.
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: Bending a drawbolt gun? - 12/22/14 03:23 PM
Thank you all for your confidence. I am willing to talk to you Stan.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Bending a drawbolt gun? - 12/22/14 04:30 PM
I have had several through bolt guns bent. The hole did have to be enlarged in a couple but not in others. Guess the bolt hole was so close to the bolt size there was not a lot of room for movement. Or perhaps the person doing it just enlarged it by habit. I would bend if possible or just send the gun down the road if not. Too many other nice guns out there to shoot a gun that does not suit. And it is your gun so do with it as you wish. It is a nice gun but not a rare one of a kind classic.
Posted By: builder Re: Bending a drawbolt gun? - 12/22/14 05:20 PM
I don't understand how you can bend a through bolt gun. If the bolt is loose the stock would pull away from the inletting during the process. Not a good thing I would think.

If the bending takes place at the wrist but the bolt is tight it would not allow bending unless you are bending the through bolt. Enlarging the hole allow room to bend but you would still be flexing the through bolt. If you force the bend you would lose all feel and possibly break it at the wrist. Can anyone explain how it is done?
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Bending a drawbolt gun? - 12/22/14 07:35 PM
I guess it would depend on how much play around the bolt in the hole.A little bend of 1/8" at the wrist would give a much bigger movement down at the butt.There might be enough play, ..if not , enlarge it a bit...though Im just guessing.
If people do it, it must work somhow
You might even be able to make & fit a thinner bolt,LOL
cheers
Franc
Posted By: Vol423 Re: Bending a drawbolt gun? - 12/22/14 09:01 PM
Mike Orlen has successfully bent one drawbolt double for me. No problems and quick turnaround.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Bending a drawbolt gun? - 12/23/14 02:37 AM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
It is a nice gun but not a rare one of a kind classic.

That's exactly right, Jon. But what IS hard to find is a .410 double gun that has ejectors and 30" barrels, with an extra set of 28 gauge barrels, each with their own forend, of near Beretta quality, for $1500. Really hate to send this one packing if I can help it.

Thanks for the help guys. Traded emails with DES today, plan to call him tomorrow.

SRH
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Bending a drawbolt gun? - 12/23/14 03:03 AM
Good luck with your venture. I understand your desire to get it right instead of just sending it down the road. But like you said it is a $1500 gun not a five grand gun so you can roll the dice and see what happens. Small tears instead of great big ones.
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: Bending a drawbolt gun? - 12/23/14 03:41 PM
I remain amazed by the retention of ideas so often held by the shooting fraternity. I and others have often posted on this very subject. There was even a very long tutorial posted by a gentleman in Seattle(with pictures) of his bending fixtures to prove draw bolt guns may be bent. Since each gun is unique, the amount of bend available is not set in stone.
However ladies and gentlemen, once and for all time.... You may bend draw bolt guns.

There are precautions a bending operator must take to assure no broken gunstocks occur. Being careful and patient are just two of the precautions. A reputable craftsman inspects the work for repairs, flaws, un-repaired cracks, too tight of a stock bolt , too thin a stock bolt(yes some are so small in diameter they act as springs), aluminum tubes in the stock bolt hole....the list goes on. After 25 years if bending gunstocks there is always something to learn. AND there is always more than one way to accomplish the goal of customer satisfaction. A craftsman/woman is flexible enough to recognize what needs to be done and gets it done well. IF the stock may not be bent they explain why and apologize for not being able to help.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com