doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Maxey Brantley Continental Engraving Pattern - 12/20/14 01:50 AM
Ladies and Gents - I'm looking for pix of what I believe Lebeau Courally called the Prince Koudacheff pattern. It is similar to the Prince Albert pattern, but rather than fine engraving, it has more of Garbi 101 large scroll pattern within a trapezoidal void. I may have the name wrong but any side, top lever and bottom pix if available are appreciated!
V/r
Maxey
Posted By: Maxey Brantley Re: Continental Engraving Pattern - 12/20/14 04:45 AM
Nope; wrong Prince. Found his engraving pattern (#101) in the LBC book. His is a Purdey rose and scroll. Still need help!!
V/r
Maxey
Posted By: old colonel Re: Continental Engraving Pattern - 12/20/14 08:05 PM

Is this what you are looking for?

Posted By: old colonel Re: Continental Engraving Pattern - 12/20/14 08:18 PM
or maybe this one which a Russian website states: "Aug. Lebeau. 1912. Trunks 762 mm demiblok. Joseph Vitvord steel. Ejector. Model 107 "The Royal Pigeon Gun" "Prince Koudacheff", engraver Hannay, caliber 12/70. Made to order 'Société Economique in Russia'. "

note you may have to right click to "show picture"

http://i2.guns.ru/forums/icons/forum_pictures/009280/9280653.jpg

or this which seems to be labeled as such, but looks like rose and scroll to me

at http://forum.guns.ru/forum_light_message/60/343606-m31147942.html

or maybe this:

or this:

at http://forum.guns.ru/forum_light_message/60/182376-m3750830.html
Posted By: old colonel Re: Continental Engraving Pattern - 12/21/14 08:47 AM
I am having trouble viewing what I posted on my IPAD, though not on my laptop so I have reposted the ones which a Russian website states: "Aug. Lebeau. 1912. Trunks 762 mm demiblok. Joseph Vitvord steel. Ejector. Model 107 "The Royal Pigeon Gun" "Prince Koudacheff", engraver Hannay, caliber 12/70. Made to order 'Société Economique in Russia'." from my picturetrail

Posted By: old colonel Re: Continental Engraving Pattern - 12/21/14 08:55 AM
Removed duplicate post
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Continental Engraving Pattern - 12/21/14 09:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Maxey Brantley
Ladies and Gents - I'm looking for pix of what I believe Lebeau Courally called the Prince Koudacheff pattern. It is similar to the Prince Albert pattern, but rather than fine engraving, it has more of Garbi 101 large scroll pattern within a trapezoidal void. I may have the name wrong but any side, top lever and bottom pix if available are appreciated!
V/r
Maxey

While I do not bother with sxs shotguns anymore if I was looking for interesting engraving patterns I wood look at creations of former provincial maker Thomas Horsley of York.
Posted By: redoak Re: Continental Engraving Pattern - 12/21/14 11:43 PM
I really like the first one posted. We have seen that one, or one like it, here before, I think.

I would sure like to see some of the work on Horsley marked guns.
Posted By: Maxey Brantley Re: Continental Engraving Pattern - 12/22/14 01:13 AM
Wonderful patterns all.....I can look at them for long periods of time. To each their own, but I find some of the Continental patterns more intricate than the English...more free flowing??

Anyway, here is a link to the Prince Albert pattern (if the link works in this format)...what I'm looking for is similar, but has a larger scroll pattern in the middle of the "box" if I remember correctly. I think G&H had a pair of new 12 ga with the pattern about 2-3 years ago. Lucky owner that one!

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=189683

V/r
Maxey
Posted By: skeettx Re: Continental Engraving Pattern - 12/22/14 01:52 AM
http://www.guns-club.ru/inomarki/18-ruzhe-lebeau-courally-belgiya-1885-g.html
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Continental Engraving Pattern - 12/22/14 07:21 PM
Old Col'....that style of Belgian engraving you put up really does it for me..,have to say its my favorite,if speaking broadly.It's beautiful
Franc
Posted By: old colonel Re: Continental Engraving Pattern - 12/22/14 10:44 PM
Originally Posted By: redoak
I really like the first one posted. We have seen that one, or one like it, here before, I think.

I would sure like to see some of the work on Horsley marked guns.

You are correct, it is my louis christophe made by jules bury engraved by jules schoffeniels, it is a 16. I have restored a 12 ga like it, and just picked up a 20 on gunbroker like it as well that is my next project. I admit i have narrowed my collection to a small niche. I have a double rifle by the same but in a different pattern.

On the horsley guns I went looking for samples to post but mostly came up with the traditional rose and scroll or plain scroll work. I recall a good article in doublegun journal, but I am not where i can reference my back issues. There are some nice ones, but I regret i could not find a sample easily.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Continental Engraving Pattern - 12/22/14 10:53 PM

Interesting, appears similar to rose and scroll, I found one like it labeled the same. Plus the other belgian style labeled prince k too. So I really am not sure which identification is correct.

I imagine the best way to be sure is to find a picture in a lebeau courally catalog
Posted By: redoak Re: Continental Engraving Pattern - 12/23/14 04:45 AM
old colonel,

I would love to see photos of your 20b Christophe/Bury, if you have any you can share.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Continental Engraving Pattern - 12/23/14 11:29 PM
These are the pics off the auction site. I will need to restore the gun to include cleaning, possible restock, and many other things.

It is in rough shape, and I won't know exactly how bad until I pick it up from my FFL when I get home

I have scans of the engraver layouts from Jules Schoffeniels grandson for at least the bottom of the receiver and one side.

[img][/img]

I tried buying a different, better condition, 20ga SLE Christophe from G&H but we they wanted more than it was worth to me. Further it had been improperly refinished which made it hard for me to pay above top dollar value. (improperly blued forend metal, trigger guard, top lever, and action screws)(all other Christophe's I have found do not have the blued hardware the G&H gun did and I have made a very long study of the brand and have a sizable record of other similar guns that have appeared on the web.
Posted By: redoak Re: Continental Engraving Pattern - 12/24/14 04:54 AM
Colonel,

I like your new 20, the engraving is very attractive. Tight scroll and the larger graceful & free flowing elements, it seems to complement the lines of the action very well.

Thanks for posting the photos.
Posted By: C. Roger Bleile Re: Continental Engraving Pattern - 12/30/14 03:45 AM
Old Colonel and others,

The style of engraving on your Jules Bury engraved by Jules Schoffeniels is known as Corombelle style It is attributed to Belgian born engraver Hyppolite Corombelle (1871-1943) who was first to engrave that concept on a shotgun.

More here: http://www.engravingglossary.com/Hand%20Engraving%20Glossary%20C.htm

Cheers,
Roger
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com