doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Robertovich The new blog - 10/20/14 04:41 PM
Dear colleagues,
The new blog for the hunting arms lovers shotguncollector.com
Welcome.
P.S.
So far, only in Russian. Use the Google Translator, please
Posted By: The Technoid Re: The new blog - 10/20/14 05:43 PM
Shotguncollector.com....... What a marvelous and attractive website. I very much look forward to it being presented in English.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: The new blog - 10/20/14 07:08 PM
Very nice site, great pictures.

If you have Windows 8, 8.1 open site go to bottom right to grey box with word in it, right click, go up to Translate with Bing.
Once open go to upper left hand corner Translate URL, type in http://shotguncollector.com go to next box and select Russian and then English or whatever you want. click on arrow and it should translate the article. It did for me.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: The new blog - 10/20/14 11:52 PM
I thought that to be yours Igor.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: canvasback Re: The new blog - 10/21/14 02:42 AM
Originally Posted By: JDW

If you have Windows 8, 8.1 open site go to bottom right to grey box with word in it, right click, go up to Translate with Bing.
Once open go to upper left hand corner Translate URL, type in http://shotguncollector.com go to next box and select Russian and then English or whatever you want. click on arrow and it should translate the article. It did for me.

Does anyone know if it can do the auto translate if using Apple??
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 10/21/14 03:08 PM
The new article is ready. Welcome.

shotguncollector.com
Posted By: David Williamson Re: The new blog - 10/21/14 06:17 PM
Canvasback, if you search Google Bing you should get the same results.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: The new blog - 10/22/14 01:30 AM
www.shotguncollector.com

I'm curious if canvasback made any enroads less just lifting text and copying into Google Translate?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: FelixD Re: The new blog - 10/22/14 02:44 AM
Thanks Robertovich. The translator leaves a little to be desired, but you can understand the meaning of things. The photos are well done.
Posted By: canvasback Re: The new blog - 10/22/14 02:50 AM
Raimey, have been fairly busy today but tried some of it. I have to echo Felix's point. It's a bit garbled so one might miss nuance but you kinda get the gist of things.
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 10/28/14 08:00 AM
The new article about Sir Joseph Whitworth`s Fluid Compressed Steel
Welcome.

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles Re: The new blog - 10/28/14 12:25 PM
Robertovich-

Thank you for sharing. I love the pics of those Tulas. I wish I could learn more about them.

OWD
Posted By: David Williamson Re: The new blog - 10/28/14 01:18 PM
Great article, thanks for posting this newest one.
Posted By: James Flynn Re: The new blog - 10/28/14 01:52 PM
Robertovich,

I cannot get my Windows 8.1 Bing translator to work. I wish it would. If the text matches the quality of the photos, this is a first class online publication.

Many years ago I worked on a pair of pre-revolution guns made up in Tula. They were box locks made to be used, and not so elaborate. The quality was excellent and it is certain that they gave and will continue to give good service. I wish I had photographed them but did not.
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 10/28/14 05:05 PM
Thanks, guys, for good grades
Google Translate works. I checked. You can understand something.
Sorry, my English is worse than Google Translate
Posted By: David Williamson Re: The new blog - 10/28/14 07:03 PM
James, this is from an earlier post on this topic and it worked for me, just have to follow what I put.

you have Windows 8, 8.1 open site go to bottom right to grey box with word in it, right click, go up to Translate with Bing.
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 11/02/14 09:36 PM
Dear colleges,
The new article "Carabiner for General Secretary"
Welcome

shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 12/07/14 11:52 AM
General information about German (Thuringen) gunmakers 1897-1974 according to historical data

Welcome
shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Ken Georgi Re: The new blog - 12/07/14 02:24 PM
Great stuff! I was able to get by with the google translator. I'm hoping someday an english translation could be done.

Thanks for sharing.

Ken
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 12/07/14 04:21 PM
You're Welcome!
Translation into English? It`s a dream.
Much time is spent on Russian.
If the blog is interesting, it is better to push on the tracking icon (bottom right corner of interface)

Igor
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: The new blog - 12/07/14 05:02 PM
This is really first class with the finest of firearms and information. Thank you, Daryl
Posted By: texasquailguy Re: The new blog - 12/08/14 04:41 AM
Yes, just did it. Takes a while for the translation SW to showup, then it asks if you want to translate the article. Just click on "translate".

Originally Posted By: canvasback

Does anyone know if it can do the auto translate if using Apple??
Posted By: texasquailguy Re: The new blog - 12/08/14 04:51 AM
Igor,

Very interesting blog.
Brezhnev must have been very interested in hunting. Nice pictures of him and of Marshal Ustinoiv, who always looks as if he just ate a lemon.

You have an amazing level of detail on the development of the .308 carbine for Brezhnev. Khoroshevo zhdelano!

Originally Posted By: Robertovich
Dear colleges,
The new article "Carabiner for General Secretary"
Welcome

shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 12/13/14 08:23 AM
Thanks, texasquailguy

New article SOME QUESTIONS OF SHOTGUN`S MECHANICS AND TERMINOLOGY in the blog

Welcome

shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 12/23/14 08:29 PM
Merry Christmas

shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Birdog Re: The new blog - 12/26/14 05:56 PM
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year Robertovich.

Translate
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 01/05/15 04:42 PM
Dear Friends,
The article "First Soviet Shotguns" significantly revised and supplemented with unique materials.
Welcome
www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 02/01/15 08:45 PM
The article "Britte, Bury and the others" in the blog. Welcome

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: James M Re: The new blog - 02/01/15 11:11 PM
I am running Windows 7 and can't find any way to translate this. Would it be possible for a member who can to do a translate and repost it? Judging by the pictures these are excellent articles.
Jim
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 02/01/15 11:41 PM
Please use Google translator and clipboard
Igor
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 02/20/15 01:51 PM
Rare Russian and German gun catalogues in the blog.

Welcome.

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: ellenbr Re: The new blog - 02/20/15 02:52 PM
Interesting treasure trove of info to sift thru. I believe it is the 1st reference I've seen on the Husky( Husqvarna Vapenfabrik ) svástika( lappland runes ) - Warsaw publication 1913-1914

There are a couple threads around somewhere with images of tubes wearing that stamp. Make me ponder if Allmänna Svenska Elektriska Aktiebolaget was involved in tube making???

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 02/20/15 03:25 PM
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. smirk

Shakespeare, sorry

Regards,
Igor
Posted By: ellenbr Re: The new blog - 02/20/15 03:27 PM
I await with bated breath.

Here's one of the threads:

http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthrea...true#Post212516

http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthrea...true#Post280111

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 02/27/15 02:25 PM
New page Gallery in the blog (button at the top right).

Welcome.

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 04/07/15 02:12 PM
New article in the blog.

Welcome.

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 04/19/15 12:52 PM
New article "Production of hunting weapons in the Soviet Union during World War II" in the blog.

Welcome.

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Humpty Dumpty Re: The new blog - 04/20/15 02:51 AM
Amazing amount of original research, as usual. My compliments!
Posted By: old colonel Re: The new blog - 04/20/15 09:51 PM
Found it last year when net trolling for Jules Bury trivia. It is a neat place with nice quality pictures. The google translate is imprefect, but acceptable.

I wish I could locate a similar blog in Belgium.
Posted By: GETTEMANS Re: The new blog - 04/23/15 05:58 AM
Hi Michael, you are correct, there are 2 people capable to write about the Liége artisans from the past and both are Americans The first to do it Robert Chambers he is (or was) also a member of this forum. And the second to do it is Vic Venters who live in N. Carolina.I have regular contacts with Vic, but he told me that he is not ready for it. I offer my help with research he only need a push to start writing. B.T.W. Robert Chambers have the largest collection of old Belgian gunmakers catalogs and not only the catalogs he have the knowledge. Here in my country there is nobody interested to presurve the history about "gunmaking in and around Liége" Marc.
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: The new blog - 04/23/15 12:03 PM
Hello Marc

don't forget Guy Gadisseur..:
http://www.atlantica.fr/livre/21777/Les_armuriers_de_Liege_en_catalogues

Cheers,
Wolfgang
Posted By: canvasback Re: The new blog - 04/23/15 03:44 PM
There is a fair bit of info on Belgian makers here:

http://www.gournetusa.com/forum/default.asp

As well as tons on French guns. Also Robert Chambers continues to frequent that forum, as do a few others from here.
Posted By: GETTEMANS Re: The new blog - 04/23/15 05:43 PM
James & Wolfgang, the links you both mention is not enough. The most interesting period is from 1900 till 1950 this covers a half century and is by far the most interesting periode.James, what you find on the gounetusa side is for 95 % posted by Robert chambers.
Our pride the gunmakers school Léon Mignon even have not 1 book about our Liége artisans. The Liége arms museum not show the a work of the 20 best artisans what we had. The curator who comes from a gunmaking family not even answer your questions. I give you an example: I had the intention to write an article on Nicolas Jacquet who was a lockmaker living in a little town (Cheratte) nearby Liége and was the lockmaker for most of the Liége artisans, when I asked the curator of the Liége arms museum if he have more info to write my article I even not receive an answer. For me it is clear, it is a shame that nobody is interesting to write about this for a future generation, soon this is gone for ever.
Marc.
Posted By: canvasback Re: The new blog - 04/23/15 05:52 PM
Marc, you live in the area, you love guns, you know how to contact both Robert and Vic. And you can work in both English and French. Sounds like you should be researching and writing a book! laugh
Posted By: GETTEMANS Re: The new blog - 04/23/15 06:36 PM
James, most of what you say is correct. I write around every month an article in my native language who is Flemish for our hunting magazine. I not have enough knowledge of English to write a book, of course I am volonteer to help and do the research and I think this is an important factor. Of course that book must be written in English to reach a bigger public. If written in Dutch with a big chance 500 people are interested if written in French maybe double and then I am optimistic. So the only option is write in English and in a way that Vic Venters wrote his book "The best of British".James,I give you and example, not longtime when I joined this forum there was critic on my knowledge of english and I even receive a mail, my mail is in my profile, I have nothing to hide with advise that I needed first study english before join te forum.
I not remember who or when it was but consider this a the truth.
Cheers, Marc.
Posted By: canvasback Re: The new blog - 04/23/15 07:48 PM
Well Marc, you know I was just joking about the book. As far receiving emails criticizing your knowledge of English....there are idiots everywhere. I guess we have a few here.
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 04/23/15 08:20 PM
Dear colleagues,

If Alex (Humpty Dumpty) will help with the translation, you don`t need to write a book because this book in most part is almost written.

Regards,

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: The new blog - 04/23/15 09:01 PM
Raimey, maybe it has been said before, but if you copy www.shotguncollector.com , the address, and paste it into google.translate, google will translate the whole text and include pictures. Very handy.

I think this may work. https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fshotguncollector.com%2F&edit-text=
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: The new blog - 04/23/15 09:28 PM
Thanks Daryl, worked like a champ.

Great site!
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 05/20/15 09:34 AM
New article SOVIET BOSS in the blog.
Welcome.

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 05/24/15 05:02 PM
First experience in English. Welcome.

http://shotguncollector.com/category/in-english/

Many thanks Humpty Dumpty (Mr.Alex Morozov)

Posted By: GETTEMANS Re: The new blog - 05/24/15 06:53 PM
Igor my congratulations, to both. I think you are a real team from now on.
Marc.
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 07/20/15 12:05 PM
New article "Gunmakers from St.-Petersburg of XIX-XX" in the blog.
Welcome.

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 08/20/15 04:34 PM

New article about Matska in the blog (in memory of Geno)
Welcome.

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 09/01/15 07:52 AM
New article about Maslov and Ruzichka (Matska`s students and followers) in the blog.
Welcome.

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 09/28/15 03:58 PM
New article about Ivan Aleshkin (completely unknown name in the West) in the blog.
Welcome.

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: David Williamson Re: The new blog - 09/28/15 07:58 PM
Very nice, great articles and information. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 10/10/15 12:37 PM
Very nice, great articles and information. Thanks for sharing.

You are welcome!
New article about Lejeune and Ivashentsov`s systems in the blog.
Absolutely unknown information. Welcome!

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Humpty Dumpty Re: The new blog - 10/12/15 02:45 AM
Westley Richards thought they had the barrel-cocking principle covered by their Anson&Deeley patent of 1875, which included the concept of the cocking rod. In the late 1870s they sued everyone who tried to offer a barrel-cocking design - Greener with Facile Princeps, Scott and Baker, Rogers - appealing all the way up to the House of Lords. Westley Richards lost in every instance (God knows how much it cost them) but most other gunmakers preferred not to mess with them, and so offered lever-cocking designs. Of course, they never said "We're offering you, dear customer, a gun built on a flawed principle only because we don't want to pay royalty for a good design". They advertised increased strenth of action. Ivaschentsev, apparently was taken in by this - I don't know how else to exlain his love for lever-cocking devices.
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 10/12/15 10:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Humpty Dumpty
Westley Richards thought they had the barrel-cocking principle covered by their Anson&Deeley patent of 1875, which included the concept of the cocking rod. In the late 1870s they sued everyone who tried to offer a barrel-cocking design - Greener with Facile Princeps, Scott and Baker, Rogers - appealing all the way up to the House of Lords. Westley Richards lost in every instance (God knows how much it cost them) but most other gunmakers preferred not to mess with them, and so offered lever-cocking designs. Of course, they never said "We're offering you, dear customer, a gun built on a flawed principle only because we don't want to pay royalty for a good design". They advertised increased strenth of action. Ivaschentsev, apparently was taken in by this - I don't know how else to exlain his love for lever-cocking devices.

Hi, Alex. Ivashentsov`s "second design" was born in 1906. The first barrel-cocking hammerless shotgun was built in 1874 on Needham patent earlier than Anson and Deeley action.
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 03/12/16 12:00 PM
New articles in the blog.
Welcome.

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 03/23/16 11:17 AM
Kersten`s action in the blog.

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 03/28/16 08:19 AM
Dear collegs,
Article "Lebeau-Courally. Between Truth and Fiction" translated into English.
Many thanks Humpty Dumpty (Mr.Alex Morozov)
I would be grateful for comments and information regarding errors
Welcome.

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 04/01/16 05:49 PM
New article about russian model A (Anson-Deeley action) in the blog.

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 04/07/16 08:27 AM
Article "Lebeau-Courally. Between Truth and Fiction" updated and supplemented with new documents.

http://shotguncollector.com/2016/03/28/lebeau-courally-between-truth-and-fiction/
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: The new blog - 04/07/16 03:19 PM
Hello,

just started my new Blog on classic hunting, doubles and dogs.
But I also intend to write about German Gunmakers of today.

http://www.hunting-heritage.com/blog/

Thanks,
Gunwolf
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 06/06/16 04:47 PM
Dear colleagues,
Published a new article in English about Defourny and Brancquaert. Mr.Alex Morozov (Humpty Dumpty),many thanks as always.

Welcome.

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: The new blog - 06/06/16 05:41 PM
Gunwolf and Robertovich, thank you for your very interesting blogs. I am sure many appreciate your efforts.
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 11/11/16 02:38 PM
New article in the blog. Full description of Rules of Proof in German Empire. Welcome.

www.shotguncollector.com

Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 01/18/17 07:35 PM
For German hunting gan`s lovers. Otto Reif. The end of legend.

Welcome on www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 02/04/17 06:10 PM
The House of the Rising Bite. A lot of new facts.

Welcome on www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: The new blog - 02/04/17 08:43 PM
I cannot get the Rising Bite article to come on in English. Each time I press the English button, the website switches to the Easy Opener article, which is very good, by the way.
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 02/04/17 09:01 PM
Daryl, the button "English" does not have a translation for the current page. You can use Google Translate to read the current page
https://translate.google.com
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 03/14/17 07:10 AM
WAFFA-BSW-Gustloff Werke
Complete history in the blog www.shotguncollector.com
Welcome
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 03/21/17 12:56 PM
Production of hunting weapons in Nazi Germany

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 03/31/17 07:11 PM
New article "Immediately after the war". Welcome.

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 04/13/17 10:47 AM
New article "Southgate`s ejector". Welcome.

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: canvasback Re: The new blog - 04/13/17 11:21 AM
Just wanted to say how much I enjoy your articles. Thanks!
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 04/13/17 01:01 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately, there are problems with the translation. My English is too bad... good translation is an expensive treat for me.
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 05/20/17 09:32 AM
New article BOSS vs PURDEY in the blog. Welcome.

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 05/22/17 07:36 AM
New article "Deeley`s ejector" in the blog. Welcome.

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 06/21/17 05:36 PM
The Beginning of the Steel Age. https://shotguncollector.com/2017/06/21/the-beginning-of-the-steel-age/

At the request of readers from Sweden. Interpreter Mr. Alex Morozov. If you see any factual or language issues in this story, please, don't hesitate to comment on it!

www.shotguncollector.com
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: The new blog - 06/21/17 08:05 PM
Well done Igor.

Did you see the discussion here about early British fluid steels?
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=482352&page=2
Wm. Powell & Son used Whitworth for barrels in 1875. The first Purdey Pair Nos. 10614 & 10615 were delivered January 1, 1880 with the “New Whitworth Fluid Pressed Steel”. Lefever Arms Co. was the first U.S. maker to supply Whitworth steel for their Optimus in 1887. Parker Bros. used Whitworth for the first AAH Pigeon Gun in 1894 SN 79964 delivered to Capt. Du Bray. Hunter Arms first offered Whitworth on the Monogram, A2, and A3 in 1895.

Sir Joseph clearly won the marketing war, but it is my opinion that by the 1880s Siemens-Martin steel was very good stuff and likely used on many more quality British doubles.

A third chart in the 1891 Birmingham Proof House Report is frequently overlooked, and was generated based on the cumulative grains of powder plus the grains of shot yielding seven “First Class” barrels:
English Steel, Siemens – Martin process
English machine-forged variegated Damascus, 2 rods
English “Superior Barrel Steel”
Foreign Steel, Siemens – Martin process
English machine-forged best Damascus, 4 rods
English machine-forged chequered Damascus, 2 rods
Foreign Steel

“Second Class” was English steel, basic open hearth process and English steel, Siemens – Martin process; special mix.

The Phase One winners, Whitworth and Laminated Steel made up the “Third Class”.

And no Krupp samples were included in the Trial.

And why no mention of Sergei Aleksandrovich Buturlin's Drobovoe Ruzhze Istrelz Ba Iz Nego?!? wink
BTW: your much appreciated and valuable translation thereof MAY appear in the upcoming Summer Double Gun Journal

Feel free to use anything here for Part 2 of your article smile
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dnRLZgcuHfx7uFOHvHCUGnGFiLiset-DTTEK8OtPYVA/edit
Posted By: Robertovich Re: The new blog - 06/21/17 09:52 PM
Drew, many thanks. Very valuable comments. I would like to study this information more thoroughly.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com