doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: swoobie Value of a recent Westley Richards Sidelock? - 04/23/14 07:29 PM
I've got my eye on a very nice Westley Richards sidelock, but having trouble ascertaining value, any input would be welcome, here are the specifics:

Mid 1990's gun in as new condition (couple of very light impressions in wood)
20 gauge
28" barrels, IC and Mod
Exhibition grade wood
Double triggers
15" LOP, I don't have other measurements
Gun is ornately engraved with a very good/best game scene engraving and signed by a well known WR engraver
Cased in Westley Richards leather case with all accessories (accessories are unused)
Anyone?
Swoobie:

What does a new one in a similar configuration currently go for?

I'd guesstimate that 60-70% of the new price would be the maximum used value, and if I were thinking of selling in the reasonably near future, perhaps 40-50%, or less.

Look at how many H&H Royals in very good condition can be found in the high teens to mid-20s. And I think a new one is approaching $80,000.

Rem
Swoobie, I do not know the value of that particular gun.

I do know that Champlin Arms had a 1960's era W.R. sidelock in 20 gauge with 26 inch barrels, double triggers, original W.R. case with accessories - looked to have never been used. It sat on their website for nearly a year and was priced at $25K. It is gone now, I assume sold or the original consigner took it back.

Hope this helps.
Great info - and much appreciated. I love the gun, but as mentioned above there are fewer data points than with an H&H or Purdey, so the collective knowledge here is helpful.
FWIW, the basic new WR sidelock in 20 gauge lists for 47,750 pounds sterling, plus VAT and other taxes, without the case and accessories. That calculates out to $80,220 at the current conversion rate of $1.68 to the pound.
That's good info - seems like with the wood upgrade (2000), case (3000) and the engraving (???) it would likely touch $100k or more...
swoobie, for a 1890ish to 1960ish best sle in 12 bore the valuation would be as follows. Brand Value two (BV2) for the WR name. Original Quality grade one (OQ1) for a best SLE. Current Condition as you describe could be CC1 to CC1.5.

BV2-OQ1-CC1 = $30,000 BV2-OQ1-CC1.5 = $25,500. Don't know if that helps or muddies the water, but there it is.

DDA
Posted By: PM Re: Value of a recent Westley Richards Sidelock? - 04/26/14 03:27 AM
Swoobie,
Based on your description 25k seems somewhat low as a valuation. Who was the engraver?
I did purchase it yesterday and hope that $25k is a bit low, as I paid significantly more! I don't believe it has been shot and in all respects is as near new as possible for a gun with a few years on it. The engraver is Vince Crowley, a still current and well thought of Westley engraver. The work is amazing, almost three dimensional and very lifelike. I've looked quite some time to find an English non-12 gauge gun with superlative wood and engraving like this that I could afford. Now to find out if I can shoot it well!
Swoobie: Congrats! Sounds like a fabulous gun. I'd love to see some photos and I'm guessing lots of other folks would too.
Posted By: GJZ Re: Value of a recent Westley Richards Sidelock? - 04/27/14 12:17 AM
I, too, would like to see pictures of the gun.
Oooops, forgot to add that 20 gauge has added up to 2X premium. Currently, I'd estimate more like 1.5X. So, make that up to about $37,500 to $50,000. And, BV2-OQ1-CC1 (Pristine condition) = $30,000. $30,000 X 1.5 = $45,000.

DDA
Congrats on your purchase Swoobie!
Posted By: PM Re: Value of a recent Westley Richards Sidelock? - 04/27/14 03:37 AM
Originally Posted By: swoobie
I did purchase it yesterday and hope that $25k is a bit low, as I paid significantly more! I don't believe it has been shot and in all respects is as near new as possible for a 19 year old gun. The engraver is Vince Crowley, a still current and well thought of Westley engraver. The work is amazing, almost three dimensional and very lifelike. I've looked quite some time to find an English non-12 gauge gun with superlative wood and engraving like this that I could afford. Now to find out if I can shoot it well!

Westley makes a fine firearm. I can only imagine the engraving, VC is very very good. I am sure you did well.
Great gun......most guys want the famous Drop lock...but a WR side lock is a great gun...congrats on your purchase....a life long prize.....enjoy.
Well, although I'm not a great photographer, I did take a few pics, but don't seem to be able to get them uploaded. Happy to email them if someone has the time/inclination to post them...
Swoopie....I bet you are sitting in your den...with the receiver in your lap....I used to do that with my Abel fly reels....I would.....I have a box lock with original blueing....so When I bought it at a gun show....I drop the barrel....yes...I did....so I sent it off to NECG...they say sorry can not fix this since the barrels are not thick...I did ok a Kerk Merrington fix......new barrels...more than the gun is worth...but what a great field gun....have you registered with WR website....?.....mine is a simple box lock....so us some picture if you can...here is mine....

Posted By: PM Re: Value of a recent Westley Richards Sidelock? - 04/27/14 08:58 PM
Originally Posted By: swoobie
Well, although I'm not a great photographer, I did take a few pics, but don't seem to be able to get them uploaded. Happy to email them if someone has the time/inclination to post them...

If you e-mail to me I will post.
Here is the receiver of a modest WR...I have the whole history on this little baby...original blueing...and the classic WR spindle...can you post a picture at some point...I NEED to see a WR side lock....

This is one of the best shotgun forums ...a lot of great guys and there love of double guns....it is easy to see....contact WR.....get the history on your gun and a cert of authentication....you may have already done that....I have their centennial history book..It is great......I must say again ...congrats...good move...I am envious......
Posted By: PM Re: Value of a recent Westley Richards Sidelock? - 04/27/14 10:02 PM
Swoobie's Westley.......drool...drool

PM.......I am on the floor...I am stunned...bueatiful!

Posted By: GJZ Re: Value of a recent Westley Richards Sidelock? - 04/28/14 12:44 AM
A truly beautiful gun.
Fantastic looking gun. I drooled so much that my mouth is dry!
Words fail me. WOW!
Posted By: SKB Re: Value of a recent Westley Richards Sidelock? - 04/28/14 01:14 AM
Nice! Wonder why such plain wood? Just kidding....really a pretty gun. Enjoy!
To get an opportunity to see a member's brand spankin' new high-end British double is a rare thing on this board, indeed.

Many Thanks for the pictures of what looks like a simply wonderful companion gun to shoot the rest of your life.

I'll bet a member (or two) is out there calculating all the "small change" gun purchases he's made over the years and seeing them reach and maybe surpass the price tag for a new exquisite gun such as yours.

Enjoy it!
Lovely gun indeed ! best, Mike
That is a beauty! What's the little lovely weigh? 5 1/2 lbs?
That's a head turner . Awesome wood!
Thank you all for the kind comments! The weight is around 6lbs 3ozs...

It was love a first sight on this gun, as I didn't have any plans to buy a new gun at the time, but this one struck me as unique and beautiful without over the top embellishments...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com