doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: MyGSPIzzy London gunrooms - 02/04/14 02:32 AM
Work recently took me to South Africa and now it will take me to London in early March. I will be taking my better half and will have a few extra days to wander. For gun-related wandering, I'd very much like to get by the H&H and Purdey shops just to say I've been. For a newbie, is an appointment necessary or do they take all comers? Are there any other recommended sites gun-related or otherwise? This is our first trip to the UK and I would kill to see my beloved Spurs play.
Posted By: Small Bore Re: London gunrooms - 02/04/14 10:35 AM
They are just shops, no need to feel intimidated, just drop in and have aloof around. In addition to these two, go and see Rigby's new place and William evans. what time of year are you coming?
Posted By: trw999 Re: London gunrooms - 02/04/14 03:57 PM
I've just spent all morning in the Long Room at James Purdey. They are friendly and welcoming. I suggest you drop them a line and ask for a guided tour. Same at H & H

Sorry, can't help with your choice of footy club to support, though!

Tim
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: London gunrooms - 02/04/14 04:11 PM
Another fun thing would be if you were there at the time of an auction, like Holts or one of several others. Then of course, The Game Fair. I think there is another or more Fairs or similar.
Posted By: Bajajack Re: London gunrooms - 02/04/14 04:50 PM
Last time I visited, very little at H&H. Purdey's and William Evans are very good. Beretta had a large stock of 2nd hand doubles. All within walking distance of one another.

Boss had very little on hand--I think they have since relocated outside of London.
Posted By: Bob*N Re: London gunrooms - 02/04/14 06:13 PM
If you can get the May/June 2008 issue of the Shooting Sportsman there is a article by Chris Batha called "Touring the Trade". The article includes a map that shows the locations for William Evans, Beretta Gallery, Holland & Holland, William and Son, Boss & Co., James Purdey & Sons. They are all within walking distance of each other. He also recommends some eateries. Simpson's-in-the-Strand, Porters English Restaurant, The Guinea Grill.

Have Fun
Posted By: halifax Re: London gunrooms - 02/04/14 07:49 PM
Farlow's, at 9 Pall Mall is also worth a visit but it leans more towards fishing than shooting equipment. It is just a few blocks walk from William Evans and Beretta.
Posted By: Gnomon Re: London gunrooms - 02/05/14 05:35 PM
Highly recommend it if you have the time and inclination you might enjoy an hours' shooting at the H&H shooting range in London (short taxi ride from the tube stop). They have beautiful grounds and their instructors are all really very good. No, you won't use H&Hs but let them know in advance (when you book) if you want to shoot SxS or OU. I take an hour or two instruction whenever I'm in London and enjoy it very much. I also give them my approximate stock dimensions and they always come up with something pretty close.

Have fun!
Posted By: eeb Re: London gunrooms - 02/05/14 06:15 PM
How much does H&H charge for gun rental and an hour's instruction? Do they have a clay course?
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: London gunrooms - 02/05/14 06:23 PM
I bet it ain't cheap.
franc
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: London gunrooms - 02/05/14 06:34 PM
I just checked the H&H shooting grounds site....could find no mention of price..for anything.....must be all POA ??..:)
franc
Posted By: Gnomon Re: London gunrooms - 02/05/14 06:46 PM
As I recall it's about £100/hr including gun (no separate rental) and instructor. Cartridges extra. I don't know if they have a clay course because I go there to work on specific shooting problems I have rather than a round of clays. They now have a grouse butte with clay grouse coming at you - haven't tried that yet. They also have traps that throw clays to mimic incoming ducks to a pond. The quality of instruction is awesome.
Posted By: eeb Re: London gunrooms - 02/05/14 06:51 PM
Well since the exchange rate is 1:1.63, it just got a bit more expensive.
Posted By: Gnomon Re: London gunrooms - 02/05/14 07:48 PM
It's all relative - £100 gets you a barely decent dinner in London these days.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: London gunrooms - 02/05/14 08:09 PM
£100 per hour. That is outrageous.

Of course, don't ask me how much my bird lease is or how much I spend on my bird dogs or how much I am going to spend bobwhite hunting this weekend with an outfitter or how much I am going to spend field trialing after bird season ends the 23rd. And after I get done I will at least have several ounces of meat.
Posted By: MyGSPIzzy Re: London gunrooms - 02/06/14 02:18 AM
All, thanks for the replies and suggestions. This should be enough for a solid day of gun shopping.

I was enjoying the wine in South Africa at an exchange rate of 11:1 so this trip will require some adjustments!
Posted By: eightbore Re: London gunrooms - 02/07/14 01:13 AM
Where is the BP key on our computers? I would like to make a disruptive comment involving the BP and what kind of dinner it will buy.
Posted By: kcordell Re: London gunrooms - 02/07/14 04:28 AM
Suggest William Evans. Great gun room downstairs.
Posted By: Gnomon Re: London gunrooms - 02/07/14 02:57 PM
The gun room at William Evans is a great suggestion. Lots of very nice guns but the space is a bit cramped. I was there last May and the next day they had a sewer line break and the basement had several inches of sewerage - they had to close for a while to pump it out and deodorize!

North of Oxford in Banbury is William Powell - another very nice but small gun room. Lots of very good clothing. Powell used to make very good guns but now import Arrietas in the white and finish them. Not too fond of them.
Posted By: Gnomon Re: London gunrooms - 02/07/14 07:17 PM
Just received an email from H&H in London re their shooting grounds and a 2-for-1 deal: (it also suggests that their current price is £60/hr)

2 LESSONS FOR THE PRICE OF 1 !!

Take advantage of our very popular
"2 hour lesson for the price of only 1 hour" offer on weekdays during January, February, March and April 2014 * (conditions apply)

1 person for 2 hours is priced at £120
2 people sharing 2 hours is £162

....and why not combine a gun fitting with your lesson..(?)

Incredible value, so early booking is advisable

Please ring 01923 825349 to secure your booking,
quoting "2 for 1" offer
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com