doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ivans need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/13/07 06:59 PM
Dear colleagues,
I consider to buy a new AyA boxlock #4. Could you share your opinion about this?
Is it worth? How is it comparing with the mass produced Brownings and Berettas?
Thank you in advance.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/13/07 07:24 PM
What's wrong with good ole' Sauersky Modelo 54?
Posted By: ivans Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/13/07 07:28 PM
Jagermeister
Sorry, what do you mean? (Nie rozumiem Pana? O czym Pan mowi?)
Posted By: ivans Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/14/07 04:55 AM
Sorry, no opinions?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/14/07 08:36 AM
Hello Ivans

I have a AYA mod 25 boxlock,it's the same inside. I like it very
much.The mod #4 it's a quality gun with little longer barrels which I prefer),and for example in Denmark they love it for fieldhunting.You have to pay 10'000-15'000 dk kronor to get a used one.(if you can find one).

Regards Lennart
Posted By: Small Bore Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/14/07 09:20 AM
They are serviceable but lack refinement and the kind of attention to detail you will get on a mid-grade British boxlock non-ejector of the 1920s. The latter are better guns and better value.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/14/07 11:26 AM
While the Brit boxlocks of the 1920's may well be better guns, they're also at least half a century older guns, and they were not built to withstand the pressures generated by modern American 2 3/4" shells. So whether an old Brit boxlock is a better gun depends on several factors, a very important one being what you intend to shoot in the gun.

Note that I write the above as a fan of British boxlocks and as the owner of a pair of 1933 vintage Army & Navy boxlocks made by Scott. But one does have to understand their limitations in the 21st century shooting world.
Posted By: Small Bore Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/14/07 12:59 PM
They may well be harder to find than AYAs in Ukraine!

However,used with the right ammunition (and 2 1/2" shells are ample for all game shooting)they have no more limitations than a modern foreign version.

In fact, they are better made and less liable to shoot loose in my experience.

The point about ammunition is a good one - if availability is an issue in Ukraine - if only 70mm shells are available, be sure to buy a gun chambered for them.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/14/07 01:16 PM
I have an AYA No 4 deluxe 12 gauge and it is a fine gun in every respect. My gun has all the bells & whistles you would expect on a deluxe gun; nice wood, diamond grip, drop points, full coverage engraving, deluxe checkering, even a file-cut rib. I have never had any problems with the gun in any way. It produces very uniform patterns with No 5 and No 6 shot. I use it for pheasants and all other upland game except grouse. (It's really too nice for the grouse woods). I bought it secondhand for about half of its current price, so I wouldn't buy one as an investment. Also, for the price of a No 4 deluxe boxlock, you can almost buy a No 2 sidelock if you are buying new.
Posted By: ivans Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/14/07 03:34 PM
thanks to all for such active participation!

Somebody guess: I'm choosing between new AyA #4 and used British boxlock.

Let suppose that there is no problem with ammo - it's available and used guns are too.

I prefere the 16 ga.

So what to buy?

AyA - is new gun, corresponding to modern requirements. It can be made with custom stock etc.

British boxlock - perfectly, thoroughly, made.

I like both.

I'm flustrated.

Help me, please.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/14/07 04:26 PM
What British gun do you compare with?

Lennart
Posted By: Small Bore Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/14/07 05:04 PM
That's why we have personal choice and each one of us will make a diffent one for perfectly proper reasons.

Search your heart and buy what you prefer. That is really the only criteria. However, your choice in 16-bore will be more limited - I'd buy a lightish (6lb 6oz) English 12-bore with 2 1/2" chambers and shoot a 1oz load.

As a previous poster said, a new AYA will halve in value in little time. Buy an English gun well and it will be worth what you paid for as long as you keep it.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/15/07 02:58 AM
I choose by fit plus handling and not by name or country of origin. My field gun happens to be 12ga 6lb4oz Thuringian piece with 28" tubes and 70mm chambers, but Made in CCCP MC-7 or Italian PB 'S' series gun would do just as nicely. The common denaminator seems to be long, "lean" fixed choke barrels.
If I run across minty #4 for 1,700+/-100 USD I might buy it.
Posted By: Olgrouser Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/15/07 03:16 AM
Ivan,

if you should find a good used double trigger AYA 4, 400 or a 4/53 in the European theatre, you should jump at it.

Currently, I own a cased AYA 400E, 12 bore, circa 1961 that does all a field gun should do. It swings well, points and shoots like a good Spanish attempt at a British field gun

In my opinion, they are greatly under valued at this time...
Posted By: ivans Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/15/07 07:50 AM
Thank you. In my heart I prefer quality old gun: British or continental (Belgian for ex.). In that time I doubt about their fit.
The question of the fit is the main reason why I'm considering the AyA. Certainly, the factor of "new gun" is also important.

To Drever2005
At the moment I'm not sure concrete maker. But of the reason of the price it would be hammerless boxlock with steel barrel from Birmingham (for ex.) or something similar from Liege or Ferlach.
Posted By: pokslok Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/15/07 08:35 AM
Ivans, have you considered Piotti BSEE? Extremely delightful beaty, which provides a lot of pleasure.

Posted By: Jonty Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/15/07 12:06 PM
I have both English boxlocks and 4 AYA boxlocks in various gauges. I have owned one of the AYA's for about 25 to 30 years - absolutely no problems. I got a new gun, it was an ejector, it had not been messed with, the stock wasn't cut, there was a guarantee.

A new AYA is a very fine gun for the money - with NO risk. An English boxlock is also a fine gun, but, there is the risk factor unless you know guns well and can trust your dealer / the person selling the gun and all its previous owners...

personally I very much doubt you will find an old english gun in the same or similar condition to a new AYA at the same money.It can be done, and I could do it in GB, as there are still one or two nice Webley's etc knocking about - but in a different country it becomes significantly harder if not impossible if you are to stick to the same budget. The english gun may also have fired a lot of shells, been used in wet weather, may have been lapped, jointed, dents lifted, chambers lengthened, stock cut not to mention triggers / ejectors etc etc.

It all depends what you want the gun for - if its just occasional low volume use go the english route - if you can find a good one at sensible money. If you intend shooting a lot and you don't want a gun thats obviously had a life and plenty of use before you - I know what my choice would be - but then I have the advantage of owning both...

Jonty
Posted By: Anonymous Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/15/07 01:42 PM
I have two AYA 12g,20g,two A.Francotte 12g and 16g, two Sauer 12g,and Winchester mod 23 12g and so on,I have tryed
basic Birmingham boxlocks,but I find everyone I allready have is much better what I use them for.And it's hard to find a nice boxlock from Birmingham,you have to go up in big money to have
a fine British gun.
(That Piotti is a nice gun from Italy,but it's exspensive )

Regards Lennart
Posted By: ivans Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/15/07 02:51 PM
to pokslok
I agree - this is very nice gun but what is the price?

to Jonty
thank you for such argumented opinion. I agree with you especialy I need this gun not for collection but for hunting.

Drever2005
So, if I understand correctly you don't reccomend the "cheap Birmingham boxlock"?
Posted By: pokslok Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/15/07 04:31 PM
Originally Posted By: ivans
to pokslok
I agree - this is very nice gun but what is the price?

Factory price for BSEE was in 2005 11.480eur + add on price for single trigger 1.010eur + abt 400eur for beavertail fore end. In 1988 it costed abt 3,5keur. I´m very very pleased with it.
Posted By: Steve Lawson Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/15/07 07:09 PM
Get one of each in different bore sizes!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/15/07 07:50 PM
Yes you understand me correctly,if you like British guns choose a London gun.

Regards Lennart
Posted By: ivans Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/16/07 08:42 AM
Thanks you colleagues!
I'm choosing AyA.

to pokslok
thanks.The price changed dramaticaly! It's completly different range. Unfortunately...
Posted By: pokslok Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/17/07 07:44 AM
I have couple of hints for your consideration:

- a spare part kit might be an good idea, either fitted or unfitted. Tumblers with firing pins and all the springs are worth of thinking. In 2002 I ordered unfitted spares to my wife´s AyA#2 for the cost of 45eur (see the photo, firing pin returning springs are missing from the photo). If spares are unfitted, gunsmith services are required when replacing them.

- ask AyA to send you photos of the available stockblanks of which you can choose.

- perhaps you already know this page where you can find AyA exploded wiev dwgs and spare part prices in Scotland: http://www.chambersgunmakers.co.uk/AYA%20shotguns.htm
Posted By: ivans Re: need opinions about AyA boxlock - 03/17/07 05:02 PM
Thank you. It's good idea. But I think it will be enough to order fitted main springs and firing pins - I choose the boxlock.
Concerning exploded view - I received it from AyA.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com