doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: RichardBrewster Silvers pad question - 04/11/13 08:01 PM
Is the Galazan "Best London" Silvers pad solid? Can it be ground down? Galazan says it is 7/8" thick. I want to replace a thinner pad (crumbled with age) on a Lefever and would like a pad about 5/8" thick, possibly 3/4". Can I round the edges and grind it down to a thinner pad? Can it be antiqued to get rid of the bright orange? Any suggestions?
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: Silvers pad question - 04/11/13 08:59 PM
You may take some material off the Period Correct pad. However, a better alternative is the London Guns pad sold by Mark Beasland. It is thinner and has a curved face. Both grind well. Both will work. You will not get to 5/8" as the center hole in the Galazan pad will cause you problems. You are able to rou d the edges and there are many past posts on this forum about antiquing the pad.
Posted By: RichardBrewster Re: Silvers pad question - 04/11/13 11:32 PM
Thanks very much for the suggestion.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Silvers pad question - 04/12/13 10:43 PM
OK, Richard, here it is, but only once. I need a favor so I am giving you everything you want. Griffin and Howe reproduction Silver pad, 56/64 thick at center. Hollow is about 24/64 deep. Real English Silver pad, 50/64 thick at center. Hollow is 24/64 deep. London Guns pad, 56/64 at center, but tapered to edge to about 42/64. Fortunately, the hollow is only 16/64 deep. The Griffin pad has 1/2 inch plugs. The original Silver pad has those ridiculous 44/64 plugs that mean only good on big guns. The London Guns pad has nice little 28/64 plugs, making it the most friendly for little guns. The London Guns pad also has a friendly 2 52/64 hole spacing. The Griffin and Silver pads have 3 1/4 spacing. Another good choice would be the NoShoc or Winchester 1922 pads which are identical except for the logos. They are absolutely solid and have small plugs and 3 1/8 hole spacing which makes them very friendly for small guns and cut guns. The logos can be ground off, the Winchester being easier to grind than the NoShoc. I have used them all and recommend them all for specific uses.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Silvers pad question - 04/13/13 12:43 PM
Richard, on rereading your post, this time I got your name right and recommend the Repro Winchester pad because it can be ground to any shape or thickness because it is solid.
Posted By: gil russell Re: Silvers pad question - 04/13/13 01:45 PM
You might consider the Pachmayr series of Old English. They come in 3 thicknesses, .6", .8" and 1.00". The radius is accomplished with mild heat. And they come in at least two colors. Black and brown.
Posted By: CraigF Re: Silvers pad question - 04/13/13 03:48 PM
I have an NOSHOK pad on one of my doubles missing the plugs. Any suggestions of what to make some replacement plugs with?

Thanks, Craig
Posted By: RichardBrewster Re: Silvers pad question - 04/13/13 07:37 PM
Eightbore,

Good to know about the repro Winchester pad. Thanks.

Rich
Posted By: Fowlgunner Re: Silvers pad question - 04/16/13 01:17 AM
Eightbore,

Do you have the measurements for the base plate thickness for each of these?

I am looking for one that more closely matches the original silvers which is on the order of 17/64ths thick, not the 3/16ths of the current manufacture.

Thanks, Fowlgunner.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Silvers pad question - 04/16/13 01:01 PM
Silver #3, 11/64. Griffin and Howe Repro Silver, 11/64. London Guns, 11/64. I do not own a Tony Repro to measure. On my Brown and Sharpe scale, one original Silver from 1917 measures 18/64. Good point. Why don't they make them like that? The old ones do look pretty elegant.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Silvers pad question - 04/16/13 01:49 PM
CraigF, I would look at a few old takeoff pads as a source of material and make the plus out of one of them. Color match my need a little touchup to get them to match but others have covered how to do that. Most gun shops have a box of old pads to rummage through. Also if you are patient I have found EBay is a good source for old pads, or parts in general, if you watch and wait. Now after I post this three member will find old pads and post them for free if you are lucky. smile
Posted By: gil russell Re: Silvers pad question - 04/16/13 01:50 PM
Craig: I think those pads are sort of a red/pink in color. You could cut a plug out of an eraser of the same color. You may need to use more than one thickness--use contact cement.
They still sell erasers at the office supply places. They are in the same dept. as the delete buttons. Gil
Posted By: james-l Re: Silvers pad question - 04/16/13 03:58 PM
Craig, a while back I bought some plugs for these but cannot remember for sure where, probably Ebay. I think I bought extras, I'll check.
Posted By: 6878mm Re: Silvers pad question - 04/16/13 04:50 PM
Does anybody know who stocks Silvers pads in the UK???
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Silvers pad question - 04/16/13 04:56 PM
Here's the company,

http://dmt-hosting.co.uk/kynoch/silvers.html
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com