doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Buzz Fractured Bridle SLE - 04/10/13 10:42 PM
I have a SLE and took the locks out and the bridle of the left hand lock is fractured through the most posterior pin. This is a Holland and Holland style lock. The gun still functions but I doubt if this cracked bridle is going to get any better on its' own. Can this hairline crack be welded up or will I have to have a new bridle made? This seems like it may be an expensive problem??
Posted By: SKB Re: Fractured Bridle SLE - 04/11/13 12:23 AM
A good welder can repair it.The key is getting everything to line up after the weld as the heat can distort the position of the pin holes. First I make a close fitting jig that is a slip fit for the bridle then weld the crack. I anneal the part after the weld, refit, then harden. I just did one on a Lang bore rifle. Not an inexpensive repair, but it should not break the bank.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Fractured Bridle SLE - 04/11/13 12:27 AM
Thanks SKB.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Fractured Bridle SLE - 04/11/13 12:31 AM
For Buzz

Mike
Posted By: Buzz Re: Fractured Bridle SLE - 04/11/13 12:43 AM
Thanks for posting the photo, Mike! SKB, I'm pretty sure the crack goes all the way through because it's slightly off set. I will try to get it apart, but I have to rely on others for posting photos. I have a feeling I'm going to have to have a new bridle fabricated. I have no idea how this fracture occurred?? I think it may be a rare occurrence.
Posted By: SKB Re: Fractured Bridle SLE - 04/11/13 12:56 AM
with it going through the pin hole, a new made one will be your best bet. Who made the gun?
Posted By: Buzz Re: Fractured Bridle SLE - 04/11/13 01:04 AM
The gun was made by Jason Abbot, an English gun made in the trade. It is one of eight guns made by that maker. I have sent him an email in London to see if he can come up with a bridle. I just sent it today and haven't heard back. I'm keeping my fingers crossed he can send me a new bridle because that thing looks pretty complicated to make.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Fractured Bridle SLE - 04/11/13 01:10 AM
I would add, with 45 plus years of welding behind me- First anneal, then TIG and pack in charcoal to cool, then re-harden later-- But, that stress area on a bridle- near a pin location or mounting hole--best choice is have a new one made to pattern--I suggest 6150 AISI alloy steel-
Posted By: bushveld Re: Fractured Bridle SLE - 04/11/13 02:04 AM
Buzz;

In years past I have made lock plate bridles and it is not a job for the faint of heart, inexperienced, or for someone who has not made one from scratch before. The first one I ever made was for a SLE gun with a Boss style lock(somewhat early though). I probably spent 40 hours making the jig, cutters and other tools needed to make the bridle, and in this case the tumbler as well.

From this you will understand that such a job is costly, if making a new bridle from steel stock is necessary.

I would ring up Jason and ask him who made his locks, if the makers name is not stamped upon the inside of the lock plate. Sending the entire lock over to the lock maker may be the best way to proceed and much less costly. Making a new bridle must be done perfect, or you will have a binding lock mechanism.

Bv
Posted By: Mike Rowe Re: Fractured Bridle SLE - 04/11/13 02:05 AM
I have a Bland here with one broken through at the tumbler axle hole. I'll have to scratch around here and find the 8620 bar and make a new one.

Just another day at the office.......
Posted By: Nick. C Re: Fractured Bridle SLE - 04/11/13 06:02 PM
I wonder why it has broken. There seems to be no real clue from looking at the picture. Could it be down to the hardening ?
I'm not picking, it's just that when things like this break, there's usually something out of line or twisted that becomes apparent when the parts are stripped and inspected.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Fractured Bridle SLE - 04/11/13 06:37 PM
Is the rear pin in the bridle friction fit. If so, the bridle could have been broken when the friction fit pin was "pounded" in.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Fractured Bridle SLE - 04/11/13 07:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Is the rear pin in the bridle friction fit. If so, the bridle could have been broken when the friction fit pin was "pounded" in.
You have a keen set of eyes, Sir-- looks to me like the stress crack started at the lower solid "bottom" and went up to the mounting hole- and when a stress crack meets a radius, especially a 360 degree circle- it opens up at that point- I would like to see the bridle and set screw from the other lockplate on this weapon-- possibly too much torque on the screw when re-assembled- as for the friction fit pins- they are usually 1/64th of an inch undersized, and not of the the possible same hardness range as the bridle may be- hard to say. I would not hesitate to TIG weld it properly and guarantee the weld, as to the V or leaf springs- NO!!
Posted By: Buzz Re: Fractured Bridle SLE - 04/16/13 12:47 PM
I elected to have a new bridle made and shipped the lock to England to the maker for the repair. The cost £250 seemed reasonable to me.....that thing looks complex to make to me. I sure hope the lock makes it back and forth across the Atlantic with no problems. I thought about laser welding this thing but that wasn't a whole lot less in terms of $ so I think a new bridle was the way to go.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Fractured Bridle SLE - 04/16/13 04:24 PM
Keep us informed as to how it looks when it comes back, would ya' ?
cheers
franc
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Fractured Bridle SLE - 04/16/13 09:02 PM
250 seems pretty darn reasonable to me.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Fractured Bridle SLE - 04/17/13 02:54 AM
I agree Chuck. Extremely reasonable! The gun is a very fine gun. I wish Jason Abbot was still making guns!! I would love to have a 16 or 20 bore, but he told me it is NOT feasible to make these 'best' guns in this economic climate. In fact, his last gun was made in the 1980's. Sad indeed, because I can assure you, these guns are by all standards of 'best' quality. Sadly, Jason is no longer producing these 'best' guns but I can assure you, I will do business with Jason Abbot again in the future.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com