doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: RGS022 Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/24/07 10:04 PM
I've been looking at some of the guns on this website. I am very fond of the boxlock game guns. Has anyone here purchased from them? The guns on the site seem to be in exceptionally fine condition. Are they what they seem, or creative lighting and photography? There are a couple that I am seriously thinking about. Bozeman is 2000 miles from my home. A trip to see the items in person would eat into my bird hunting time this fall. I would appreciate any opinions on the quality of the shotguns this company has for sale. Does the company stand behind the shotguns they sell. The prices seem reasonable, or am I just uninformed?

Thanks in advance for any help
Bill
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/24/07 10:10 PM
If there's a gun in particular you're thinking about buying I'm sure these guys could help you out.
Posted By: Fred Re: Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/24/07 10:14 PM
I visited when Mr. Hill still owned it. He was straight-up for all I could tell and all I heard (I have a friend in Bozeman). The guns I saw were well described and prices were generally very fair.

I can't personally comment on the current owner, (which certainly does not imply anything negative). However, I'd expect that if and when a business like Hill were to "slip" after a sale, we'd read about it here. Hopefully someone can give you a recent experience.
Posted By: long range Re: Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/24/07 10:30 PM
Bill He is located up stairs in the old Hotel. Third floor. I quite going in when in Bozeman, for all he does is take my check. Found both he and his guns to be typical Montana, and gunine. His guns are mostly britt, I bought Parkers and Ithacas. It was a good experence. David Lien
Posted By: Jim Kilday Re: Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/24/07 11:08 PM
We deal with Charlie regularly as he does outstanding wood work and case repair. We have the highest regard for him and could not recommend him more highly.

Jim Kilday
Managing Partner
Westley Richards USA
Posted By: dblfever Re: Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/24/07 11:44 PM
I bought a gun from Charlie for $800 awhile back and the communication and treatment i got from him you would have thought I was spending ten times that....
Posted By: gil russell Re: Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/24/07 11:47 PM
Good solid outfit. Good guns for the money. He's got a nice older Sauer 12 ga box lock that looks like a good buy.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/24/07 11:50 PM
Have never bought from Charlie, but visited his place last summer. Guns were accurately described, and I would not hesitate to buy from him.
Posted By: gunsmither Re: Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/25/07 12:15 AM
It was my good fortune to visit Charlie last June, courtesy of a visit arranged by Darrel Hallquist. A nicer gentleman it would be hard to find. He had a wonderful collection of guns that I could only marvel at, and he seems very knowledgable. AAA+
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/25/07 01:02 AM
I have bought three guns from Charlie - he is straight up and trustworthy.

Mike
Posted By: RichardBrewster Re: Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/25/07 01:03 AM
I bought a gun from Charlie and it was a very good experience. I wouldn't hestitate to do it again. Rich
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/25/07 01:16 AM
Originally Posted By: RGS022

The guns on the site seem to be in exceptionally fine condition. Are they what they seem, or creative lighting and photography?

I noticed that also, photos can be deceiving.
Posted By: Steve Meyer Re: Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/25/07 07:22 AM
Charlie has kept up the fine tradition that Duncan started at Hill Rod & Gun: fair, honest and competent. I've bought guns from both and been tickled with every transaction!
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/25/07 01:38 PM
From the photos several guns I looked at appear to be re-finished to different degrees. Stocks, actions cleaned, barrels re-blued I'm not saying anything's wrong with that.

As to the quality of the work I guess you'll have to find out, I'm sure they have a 3 day inspection ?
Even if you are qualified to inspect the gun...a second or even a third opinion won't hurt.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/25/07 02:09 PM
How could you say there's anything wrong with that j0e!
Most of Charlie's guns are English, and thats the way they did it. Kept refreshed and up-to-snuff.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/25/07 02:16 PM
The company has just received 10, count 'em, TEN positive comments and ZERO negative reports from people who have ACTUALLY dealt with them. Further observations about photo's being possibly misleading seem unwarranted.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/25/07 02:24 PM
My comments were not about photos being misleading intentionally.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/25/07 02:33 PM

The guns on the site seem to be in exceptionally fine condition. Are they what they seem, or creative lighting and photography? There are a couple that I am seriously thinking about.

I made the same observations about the photos that the original poster did.
I've been watching the site for several years...just never saw nothing that tripped my trigger if I do I hope to have a pleasant experience with them.

Posted By: RGS022 Re: Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/25/07 03:02 PM
Thanks to everyone that replied to this post. I was not implying I thought there was an intentional effort to mislead with the pictures. On the contrary, if there was an effort to mislead, how could every gun be photograped from the left side? Odds are, with this many guns, not all damage would be on the right side. I actually thought most of the guns looked too good.
If the gun has been cleaned and some refinishing done by someone who knows what they are doing, that is a non issue to me. As long as the item is not portayed as original. I have looked at so much polished junk while searching for american made oldies that I am a little wary. Ten positives from the people on this site goes a long way in easing my mind.

Bill
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/25/07 04:30 PM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

As to the quality of the work I guess you'll have to find out, I'm sure they have a 3 day inspection ?

I think you will find that Charlie offers a 5 day SHOOTING inspection.

Duncan set a high standard and Charlie has upheld it. I have never bought a gun from Charlie but he did sell one on consignment for me and I believe the buyer and I were both happy with his service. I have family in Bozeman and have visited with Charlie several times. I see Jim Kilday has high regard for him and that would be enough for me if I didn't know Charlie.

In short you will not go wrong with Hill Rod & Gun.

My favorite story about Duncan was when I ran into him at the Vegas show and I took a look at a double rifle he had just purchased. I turned around and he was gone. I had to track him down to give him his rifle back.......
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/25/07 06:59 PM

Thanks to everyone that replied to this post. I was not implying I thought there was an intentional effort to mislead with the pictures.

I for one never thought you were.

Posted By: L. Brown Re: Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/25/07 09:51 PM
Lowell made the comment initially, but it bears repeating: If you're not familiar with British guns and the British gun trade, reblacking the barrels, honing the bores if necessary (so long as they stay within proof standards), redoing the wood--that's the way they do it. The Brits, for better or worse depending on how you look at it, do not have the same "original condition" hangup that afflicts many American collectors. Doesn't make any difference if it's a Purdey or a gamekeeper's Brummie BLNE. If something needed doing, the owner didn't worry about "original condition". What he worried about was whether his gun was properly maintained.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Hill Rod and Gun Company - 02/26/07 12:10 AM
I've purchased two doubles from HR&G, both while Duncan Hill was still the owner. One was a Thomas Turner 12 gauge BLE with damascus barrels that serves as my grouse and preserve pheasant gun. The other was a German double rifle in .250-3000 that serves as my deer rifle. Both were actually better than described. Both passed inspection by Alfred Gallifant. I'd do business again with HR&G in a heartbeat.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com