doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Lloyd3 The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 12:47 AM
On another topic here (about changes coming at Arietta), the subject of gun weights came up. The comparison was made between vintage English and modern Spanish shotguns, and the pros and cons of each. Hopefuly, this thread will further clarify that subject. To start, I am sadly afflicted by the need to travel to Northern Minnesota every year to walk forest trails in search of Bonasa Umbellus (ie. the Ruffed Grouse). Much to the dismay of my wonderful spouse, I've expended a great deal of thought, time, and money to somehow improve this situation in a way that tips the scales in my favor when faced with this particular bird. I have ferried many a gun through the tender mercies of TSA to be field tested in the boreal forests along the Canadian Shield. Ranging from good Spanish sidelock 12s to light English 20-bore hammerguns to nickel steel Model 12s. Duty calls, more later.
Posted By: PeteM Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 01:06 AM
My favorite was a SKB M100 20ga with 26" barrels. It weighed in at 6.5 lbs

Recently I have favored a Bayard ( Pieper ) 28ga hammer gun with 28" barrels. Just under 6lbs. I like using the sling.

Pete
Posted By: King Brown Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 01:28 AM
SKB 20ga Model 500 o/u 26" barrels
Posted By: ed good Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 02:02 AM
prussian sauer. 12 gauge, 26" barrels. weighs just 6 pounds!
Posted By: Gerry Addison Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 02:25 AM
William Powell 16GA 2 1/2" chambers 27" barrels, skeet and IC, 5 pounds 14 ounces,
or
Parker Reproduction 28GA, double triggers, beavertail, Q1 & Q2, straight grip, 5 pounds 10 ounces.
or
Parker VH 20GA, 2 1/2" chambers, straight grip, 26", IC & Mod
my favorite
Browning Sidelock 20GA, 26", IC & Mod, 6 pounds 2 ounces
my newest
E. Wilson 20GA, 2 1/2" chambers, damascus, 5 pounds 6 ounces
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 02:34 AM
I'll second the Ithaca/SKB 100, 20 Ga., 6# even. I have also used the RBL 16 Ga. at 6#-4Oz. I can't feel much difference between the two, both fit. The Ithaca had seen a bunch of use on grouse when I lived "up nort"! Now I get a long weekend, maybe two, lots of pheasant hunting to make up for it.

Chief
Posted By: Buzz Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 03:00 AM
Ahhh....finally a subject I know something about. I tend to agree with outdoor writer, Tom Huggler who made the following statement in his 'Grouse Hunting' video: "the best gun for grouse hunting is the one that fits you best and the one you have the most confidence in". A lot of truth in that statement, for sure!!
Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 03:08 AM
Originally Posted By: buzz
Ahhh....finally a subject I know something about. I tend to agree with outdoor writer, Tom Huggler who made the following statement in his 'Grouse Hunting' video: "the best gun for grouse hunting is the one that fits you best and the one you have the most confidence in". A lot of truth in that statement, for sure!!

It is certainly true for me. Although I don't grouse hunt, the same idea applies to a quail gun. One my favorite guns for quail is my Miroku L-II 12bore, with 28" mod/full bbls. At 6 3/4 lbs and with its configuration, its not exactly the "textbook" quail gun. But it fits and that's what counts.

Its the bottom gun.
Posted By: jmc Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 03:19 AM
Not that there's anything wrong with the bookends on Gerry's list, it's just that I prefer what's in the middle for the king of North America's game bird. For me a 7lb. Parker Reproduction 12 with 26" bbls choked Skt & Skt2 or, a sub 6lb A.H. Fox Sterlinworth with 28" bbls choked IC/Mod. Wish the repro had double triggers...
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 03:19 AM
I'm back. You folks have been busy. I see lots of 20s, a 16 and two 28s so-far. Here's my situation: I'm not much good with an over/under because I have an eye-dominance issue. With a side by side, the dominance issue isn't even a factor because the tubes seem to frame the shot quite nicely for me. An over/under, however, causes my opposite eye to become dominate and it can skew my shooting rather badly. I'm also fairly traditional and I've shot side by sides since my youth, so I don't really feel like I'm missing-out on much. I like side by sides, I like how they look and how they handle. So, like most folks, I have preferences. In Minnesota, I find myself walking a great deal in between actual shooting situations and almost all of that time is spent in fairly high-alert. This means that the gun is either at port arms or nearly so (I should also point out here that I hunt grouse without a dog). In the time I'm there, the leaves are in the process of falling, so I generally start-out hunting with fairly dense foliage that thins as the days wear on. The shooting is usually a fairly quick proposition. From the time you see the bird (or hear the flush) to when you shoot is usually no more than 2 seconds. What I have found that I need to be consistantly sucessful is: 1. a gun that fits very well, and 2. a gun that moves very quickly, even when I'm fatigued. From trial and error I have found that a gun that weighs about 6 pounds is the right weight for me to carry all day. I also seem to shoot a bit better if the tubes are around 28-inches long, because I tend to chop through my swing if they are any shorter. The guns I have used to do this "research" have included 12s, 16s, 20s, and 28s. The 12s always seem to be the most lethal, with 16s following as a close second. The 20s and 28s haven't performed well for me in these situations for a number of reasons, the biggest (after my questionable shooting ability) being pattern size and density. Light 12s are not common in this country, so they aren't generally well known here. The lightest 12s I've personally come across were all vintage English guns.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 03:40 AM
The only thing I carry for a field hunt where there's walking involved is a Beretta 687L 20. ga.

6 1/4 lb, 28" barrels. It carries well and has good dynamics so it's actually possible to hit something with it when the time comes.

The 3" capability means versatility. The triggers are decent. It's replaceable.

I take care of the eye dominance issue with good corrective shooting glasses.

I also practice with it. That helps the most.

Posted By: redoak Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 04:06 AM
My favorite grouse (and woodcock) gun is a W.J. Jeffery BLNE 28b, 26", 4# 5.5 oz. Very plain, border engraved, but light and very fast. I have several British 20 bores, and a 2" 12b, but I keep coming back to the Jeffery 28. It just seems to work for me.
Posted By: Gerry Addison Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 04:20 AM
My Parker VH - Forgot to mention that I had it stocked in my dimensions.

Forgot about my Francotte 16

William Powell 16Ga

Posted By: Rockdoc Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 04:55 AM
My go-to grouse gun is this 16 gauge French SXS with 27" barrels that weighs in at 5 lbs 1 ounce.

Of course now I have the new gun I just purchased, a 12 gauge French SXS with 27" barrels that weighs in at 5 Lbs 14 ounces (ouch! my aching shoulders LOL) anyone seeing a pattern here?

Steve
Posted By: Chasseur d'ours Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 05:14 AM
When I was in college I thought my Stevens 311 12 bore was the perfect grouse gun...

If I moved back to a place with woods and ruffed grouse I think a 16 or 20 bore drilling with a 7 or 8mm rifle (just in case grouse season overlapped with some big game and combo guns were legal to hut with...) would be pretty perfect. I know that might sound like heresy to some...

I have the gun I just need the place and the grouse!

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 11:48 AM
The perfect ...... gun (grouse, quail, dove, duck, turkey.....)?

My next one! wink

SRH
Posted By: L. Brown Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 01:25 PM
For those that mentioned the Ithaca SKB's, small nit to pick: the short-barreled 20's were 25", not 26". The short 12's were 26". Don't ask me why!

I recently looked at statistics from LODGH (the Loyal Order of Dedicated Grouse Hunters) from the 2011 season, which included gun preferences (gauge, choke, action type) among other things. Then I looked back at similar statistics from the early 80's. What hasn't changed: the 20 remains the #1 choice in gauge by a strong margin. What has changed: Way more hunters today choose a double (either OU or sxs) vs pump or auto. And the 28ga, which was scarcely a blip on the radar screen 30 years ago, has made a significant gain in popularity.

I'm currently having chokes opened on a 28ga Parker Repro: straight/splinter/DT/28". For those that know 28ga Repros, you also understand why I'm having the chokes opened. Don't think I've ever seen a 28" 28ga choked anything other than M/F, and the Japanese used 12ga constrictions--which means something more like IM and extra, EXTRA full in a 28ga. I'm thinking that will be my go-to grouse and woodcock gun next season.
Posted By: mark Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 01:29 PM
Verney-Carron 20ga just under 6#. Just enough weight to swing smooth but light enough to carry all day.
Posted By: CJ Dawe Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 01:44 PM
This 16 bore 30" IM-M ,grade 1 1/2 "Flusie " has brought more ruffs to bag than anything I own ,The little o frame Parker 16 has done its share as well both have been restocked to fit .
Posted By: Doublefan Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 01:54 PM
W&S 700 12ga. 26" straight grip 6lbs. 1oz. Skeet 1 & Skeet 2 1 1/8th oz. of #7 shot @1100FPS with English Springer Spaniels. Yes Builder, I had to chime in on this one!
Posted By: nca225 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 02:01 PM
There were more grouse killed with a classic american made sxs shotgun then we could ever imagine. AH Fox/Sterly's, Parkers, Elsies, Ithacas, or Lefevers to name the most well known. My vote for you Lloyd, would be for an AH Fox or a Sterlingworth in 16 with 3 or 4 weight 28" barrels that will come in around 6 pounds give or take depending on the barrel. Most of them have a LOP around 14" so if that fits you, your all set on that end but be aware a lot were stocked very deeply with a 3" or more drop at the heel. My go to grouse getter is a Sterly 16 gauge brush model. It had a 3 inch drop until I had a new stock made for it to my dimensions, now I hit much better with it.
Posted By: MilRob Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 02:21 PM
Here are my grouse sticks
Fox A grade 16ga 28"
Sterly 16ga 28"

XE 16ga 26"
Posted By: oldmanriver Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 02:24 PM
I use about a dozen SxS's each year(I've never shot an O/U)and hunt about 85 days/yr. Britt and American ~100 year old classics 12's, 16's and 20ga, 5.5 lbs to 6.75 lbs.It doesn't seem to matter which gun I use, it still takes about 5 miles of walking to get one bird based on my records over the last 20 years.The journey is the reward. My wife says I would hit more if I only had one gun;I can't see the logic in that.This year I'm going to use a 5.0 lb Jeffery 12 1895 hammer that has a single 29in barrel.It's light but long so maybe it will swing nicely and I can learn to stop taking a rushed first shot?
Posted By: Slowpokebill Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 02:44 PM
For me here in the mountains of Utah a side by side, with open chokes and weighing about 6 to 6 1/2 pounds, fits the bill. I find when the weight drops much below six pounds my shooting suffers.

These days my go to shotgun is a H&H badged Webley & Scott 700 12 gauge with 28 inch barrels. It is choked quarter and half. It weighs right at 6 1/2 lbs. It feels and handles like a gun lighter than that.

Posted By: MD2 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 02:55 PM
My favorite grouse/wc gun is a 1907 W&S screw-grip A&N 16ga SLE with 28" barrels. The balance and handling is excellent and at 5 lbs 15 oz it's a joy to carry all day long in the MN woods. Simple engraving but still a beautiful old SxS.

Before the A&N this AyA #2 16ga with 28" barrels was my favorite upland gun. Barrel #1 is choked for grouse/wc while #2 is choked for the open prairies chasing pheasants/sharpies/huns. At 6 lbs 3 oz it's about as heavy as I care to handle in the uplands.

Another popular option is a SxS I've had for a long time. The Arrieta 871 16ga has 27" barrels. At a little over 6 lbs it's a nice gun for long days in the woods or field. It doesn't get used as often as it once did but certainly an excellent example of a Spanish light weight upland gun with excellent balance and handling.

Posted By: David Williamson Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 04:03 PM
Back in the 70's before I was really onto doubles, I hunted some grouse and used a 20 ga. Winchester 101, imp.cyl/mod. My favorite for quail and woodcock was a Rem. .410, 11-48 with 25" imp. cyl. barrel vent rib, which I still have. It has shot 10 lb.+ hares and Hungarian Partridge in Germany, woodcock, quail and pheasants here.
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 04:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Gerry Addison
My Parker VH - Forgot to mention that I had it stocked in my dimensions.

I love what you did with that Parker, just a lovely gun.

Best grouse gun for me has been a 28 ga. Parker Repro, 26", straight grip/splinter. Single trigger has been free of trouble. Added a Galco leather/velcro pad for more LOP. It was muzzle light for me at first, but settled down really well with 3 strips of golfer's lead tape added to the underside of the barrels.

Jay
Posted By: Gerry Addison Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 05:57 PM
I forgot to mention the one gun I had and sold that I wish I had kept, an Arrieta 2" chambered gun weighing 5 pounds 14 ounces with 27" barrels and choked cylinder and IC. With 7/8 of #8's it threw the best pattern I've ever seen. The only problem with it was because there was no shot cup in the shells you got a lot of lead build up in the barrels and it was a bear to clean. Other than that I would have to say you would go a long way before you found a better grouse gun.
Posted By: GrousenFool Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 06:01 PM
My first post on the DG forum. I see a lot of good info being exchanged by friendly folks.

My current grouse guns are an A.H. Fox 12 ga 28" A grade 2-5/8" chambers (IM/IC) 6lb 14oz and a Browning Lightning Feather Combo 20 ga 27" O/U 3" chambers 6lb 3oz. I also have a Sterlingworth 20 ga 28" 2.5" chambers 6lb 8oz I'm rehabbing and hope to have in service by October. It's currently choked F/M but I'm going to change it to IM/IC.

Best guns & best times,

Dave
Posted By: gloftness Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 06:07 PM
1953 20 ga Model 409 Beretta 28" with Briley chokes. 5# 10oz

Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 06:19 PM
Welcome to the site, Grousen!

My favorite - a 16 ga French guild gun with Jean Breuil barrels 70 cm long and under 6 lb.

My other favorite - a 20 ga Trojan, 26 inch barrels, choked .007 both sides.

Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 06:44 PM
gloftness, like your little female French Britany. Looks a lot like mine only younger. Unfortunately my seldom gets to has never had opportunity on Ruffs or Woodcock, just a steady diet of desert quail and cholla thorns. At 13 she still loves to go and has learned to move slower so I can keep up I think. Or maybe both of us are moving slower for the same reason. VHE Parker 20ga with 28" barrels is my go to gun for all upland game and has been for about 30 years.
Posted By: gloftness Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 07:24 PM
Jerry,
Gabby is just 2 years old. My first dog- and I couldn't be more pleased. Still a lot to learn on grouse, but she's done very well on pheasants. I'm addicted to older Beretta sxs's but this one is my favorite grouse gun.

Greg
Posted By: builder Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 08:44 PM
Doublefan,
Where are the pics?
My favorite is a Fox CE blown up in the Northwoods.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 08:58 PM
I've obviously struck a chord here. Glad to see so many grouse hunters still out there. After considering my options and not finding exactly the right 12 (well, I came close with an Army & Navy marked Webley & Scott that tips the scales at 6lbs5 w/28 tubes and a 14 3/4 LOP) I finally settled on a British 16 with fairly neutral cast that weighs 5lbs13. I looked at lots of guns, from 2" 12s to a number of 16s, but the money/fit combination just wasn't there.

nca 225: If I were to shoot an American gun it would likely be close to the Fox you described. But, alas!...most are too short for me.
Posted By: MD2 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 09:46 PM
Lloyd, which 16ga British gun did you settle on?
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/21/13 10:13 PM
I ended up with the No.1 gun of a pair of W. Richards guns built in 1906. 28 tubes and 14 7/8 LOP. I've shot it on some game farm birds and it needs to be bent just a smidgen, but otherwise it fits like a dream. Can't wait until next September.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/22/13 01:10 AM
I haven't done it much but when I have to do that much walking in heavy VT growth I've used my Chas. Hellis 2" 12b, 5-1/2lbs. Easy to carry one handed.

I also have a 16ga Kettner (or Kerner, I can't ever remember) with 29" barrels and 2-1/2" chambers that weighs about the same, I'd like to give that a try someday.

And if it were also big game season in the Adirondacks my Nimrod 16x16 over 8x57R.

Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/22/13 02:23 AM
The whole 2" 12 concept facinates me. I've seen and handled a good number of them but I've never had the chance to use one. I hear that they are spectacular in the grouse woods. Is that so? Do they work as well or better than a 16?
Posted By: PeteM Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/22/13 02:44 AM

Pete
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/22/13 02:58 AM
If you have a staunch pointing dog, a la the late Burton L. Spiller's great grouse stories, then a O framed Parker in either 16 or 20 with 28" barrels and open chokes--If you have a flushing breed, perhaps the same with a tad more choke- I haven't hunted Sir Ruff in 30 some years, but my favorite gun when I was younger, lighter, fleeter of foot and had a good solid English Setter was a LeFever 20 Durston Special 28" barrels DT- fit me like a tailor made suit--like a dummy, I sold it to a friend who had always liked it better than his 20 Browning Belgian made Superposed with SST and AE-- long gone days now--
Posted By: Gerry Addison Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/22/13 04:33 AM
You bet the 2" guns work in the grouse woods. That short shot string is deadly and you can carry them all day. I loved the two that I owned and wish I'd never sold them. Get one with open chokes that fits you and you will be very happy.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/22/13 01:53 PM
Depending on the specific 16ga, you can use heavier loads than you can in a 2" 12. Those guns fall somewhere between a 28 and a 20 when it comes to shot charge. But since a lot of people hunt grouse with a 28, why not?

One thing for sure with a 2" 12ga: make sure you take enough shells with you! But then that's pretty much true of 16's and 28's too, and also 2 1/2" 12's.
Posted By: ROMAC Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/22/13 03:10 PM
Early Fox Model B with English Stock is one of my favorites for grouse.

Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/22/13 03:33 PM
I was really torn between a light 12 and a good 16. Because of the better payload options of a light 2 1/2-inch 12, I really wanted to make that work. As usual, it boiled down to time and money (the time being how much longer I wanted to wait). I looked at lots of guns that would fit the bill, but they were either too much money (I'm fairly cheap, so Lancaster 12/20s and Dickson Round Actions weren't really viable) or they didn't fit me very well (and I wasn't looking for a project). I looked fairly hard for a healthy Thomas Turner Lightweight, but almost everyone I found had major pitting problems. In the end I settled on a light 16 built on a 20 frame. It has even been re-prooved to 2 3/4-inch in 2001, so if I have to, I can use light American shells.
Posted By: builder Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/22/13 03:45 PM
Fox CE, 1923, 6lbs.,11oz.,26" barrels, a warm day in Phillips, WI.

Posted By: ed good Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/22/13 05:29 PM
oh, an den der is mah 16 ga ithaca pump gon...

24" barrel, including versatile polychoke. weighs just 6 pounds!

hit is awl so mah deer an turkie killin machine...luv dat poly choke!
Posted By: Buzz Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/22/13 05:35 PM
Originally Posted By: ed good
oh, an den der is mah 16 ga ithaca pump gon...

24" barrel, including versatile polychoke. weighs just 6 pounds!

hit is awl so mah deer an turkie killin machine...luv dat poly choke!
Now Ed.....that was a good 'UN. Funny.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/22/13 10:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
I was really torn between a light 12 and a good 16. Because of the better payload options of a light 2 1/2-inch 12, I really wanted to make that work. As usual, it boiled down to time and money (the time being how much longer I wanted to wait). I looked at lots of guns that would fit the bill, but they were either too much money (I'm fairly cheap, so Lancaster 12/20s and Dickson Round Actions weren't really viable) or they didn't fit me very well (and I wasn't looking for a project). I looked fairly hard for a healthy Thomas Turner Lightweight, but almost everyone I found had major pitting problems. In the end I settled on a light 16 built on a 20 frame. It has even been re-prooved to 2 3/4-inch in 2001, so if I have to, I can use light American shells.

Lloyd, what proof pressure did they mark on that gun? 2001, should be expressed in bars. Thanks.
Posted By: Laxcoach Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/22/13 11:53 PM
Milt,
You have stepped in my footprints around Phillips ! What--a Fox?
Where was your Elsie?
See you at Sanford?
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/23/13 01:43 AM
Yep Ed, funny and so true! I use a Ithaca 37 20 ga as a back up to the 100. We like to think that a double is the ONLY way but, no too long ago Franchi AL 48's in 20 Ga and Win 59's were very popular grouse guns in MN. The common thread being light weight I think. The 37 has its share of grouse. Wish they had a tang safety, if not that then put it up front like a Win 12.

Chief
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/23/13 02:08 AM
Mr. Brown, it looks like 900BAR.

Chief: my backup gun is a short-chambered 16 bore Model 12. A gun does not have to be expensive to be effective.

MD2: an English 5lb15 sidelock w/28 tubes is a thing of joy and beauty forever!
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/23/13 02:26 AM
Lloyd3,

I would bet dinner that many more grouse are shot by folks on ATV's using whatever than by doublegun enthusiasts! Money wise I think that my 37 that I bought used, (but like new) for 75.00 way back when life was simple was only worth slightly less than the M100 that I wanted at that time. Only so many critters could be trapped and that was what I had,75.00! I got the 100 when I was in the service in the late '70s, I think the price was around 300.00. Many a "chicken" dinner provided by both guns since then.

Chief

Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/23/13 03:03 AM
Chief: What I usually see in Beltrami is a kid on an ATV with a camo-taped 870. And, I usually hear him before I see him, riding up the trail I'm already walking on.
Posted By: jaybird Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/23/13 03:30 AM
I've killed so many grouse with so many different guns that I can't pick a favorite.

Posted By: Gerry Addison Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/23/13 03:41 AM
Jaybird, at least you have the right kind of dog, and the barrels are laying the right way. It is hard to pick a favorite and that's what keeps me buying another grouse gun.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/23/13 03:44 AM
What trail is that Parker on? My other question: are those snipe or woodcock?
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/23/13 06:35 AM
Lloyd3,

Some time ago I'd have been that kid! Only on a Honda Big Red. Somewhere along the way I didn't find that type of hunting rewarding anymore and took a different direction To that of walking, having a dog along and shooting only birds that were actually flying! My efficiency has suffered to say the least!

Chief
Posted By: L. Brown Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/23/13 02:31 PM
What trail is that Parker on? My other question: are those snipe or woodcock?

Lloyd, if you're referring to the 2nd photo, definitely woodcock. Snipe have a white belly and a much slimmer profile. I have shot a few snipe when hunting grouse and woodcock, but not many. I remember one that flushed out of the edge of some woods near a pond, thought it was a really fast woodcock until the dog brought it back. A few others off muddy trails with puddles.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/25/13 06:43 PM
Learning to upload photos. Give me a minute.....
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/25/13 06:57 PM
[/email]

A 1930 Army & Navy (Webly & Scott) BLE 12 that weighs 6lbs5 and a 1920 Model 12 in 16 bore that weighs about the same. Both work just fine.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/25/13 07:00 PM
Not sure how I got two copies to upload. Oh well....in my files I call this "16s at work" (my W. Richards looks very much like the Army & Navy).
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/25/13 07:10 PM
[][/email]
Birds around the corner? Actually, yes!
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/25/13 07:13 PM
It must be how I've saved them on Photobucket (doubleclick?). Anyway, one of the last glorious days of Autumn in Lake of the Woods county. It snowed like the dickens the very next day.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/25/13 07:16 PM
[][/email]
I really like bamboo fly rods, so when I ran across an advert from Art Weiler in Eastern Pennsylvania for one of his bamboo spin casters, I had to try one. Best "new" bamboo rod I've ever owned (the only one, actually, and for something like $250).
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/25/13 07:17 PM
It's not just ruffies up in that country!
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/25/13 07:22 PM
[][/email]
An inexpensive project gun I actually got from my wife as a Christmas gift. It's a 1970s Belgian 10 bore BLE in 3 1/2-inch magnum (Doublewing?). It started life with a beavertail and a giant pistol grip, but I couldn't hit anything with it and I got tired of handloading bismuth. I went after it with a hacksaw and a wood rasp (and a Purdy Warthog refinish kit) after I got it bent for a lefty. I even opened the chokes to Light IC and Light Mod so I could shoot inexpensive steel. It works for me now.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/25/13 07:22 PM
It's ducks too.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/25/13 07:53 PM
Go Lloyd!!! Great pictures on a rainy cold South GA day...Geo
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/25/13 08:35 PM
Thank you Mr. Newbern. Snow day here, so my 9-year old and I are stuck at home, doing both chores and loafing (just a bit). My thanks also to Mr. Joe Woods for his primer on posting photography here in the FAQs portion of this webpage.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/25/13 08:40 PM
Lloyd, do you by chance work at the Department of Redundancy Department? laugh
Steve
BTW congratulations on uploading the photos, I'm sure your next uploads will be perfect!
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/25/13 10:15 PM
Do it, Lloyd ! Nice pics. Pretty.

SRH
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/25/13 11:03 PM
[][/email]
Another gun I dragged up there (that I no longer have). A 1953 Remington 11-48 in 28 bore. Inexpensive, but well made and quite effective.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/25/13 11:06 PM
Redundancy indeed. This pix is to show that I believe in equal opportunity (in guns, that is). From back in 2008.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/25/13 11:12 PM
[/email]
Snow geese, redheads, gadwall, and teal. That 10s not exactly what I'd call pretty, but it's effective.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/25/13 11:12 PM
OK now I'm stumped. Why two?
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/25/13 11:19 PM
[/email]
Late morning in the duckboat. Time to pick up and go in for breakfast!
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/25/13 11:20 PM

Hi Lloyd,
I believe you're using the wrong function. I got your image by clicking on Quick Quote, then I deleted [/email] from it.
When you see this, click on Quick Quote and you can see the change I made.
Steve
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/25/13 11:21 PM
Even with extra caution, I still get two copies, what gives?
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/25/13 11:25 PM
Thanks Rockdoc, but I was just informed that I need to go sledriding. Be back in a bit.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/25/13 11:28 PM
[email:][/email]

Lloyd,
Click on Quick Quote and compare the two sets of images I have here. I hope this helps.
Steve
Posted By: canvasback Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/26/13 12:01 AM
Lloyd3, when you say Lake of the Woods country, are you referring to the lake that borders on both Canada (Ontario and Manitoba) and Minnesota?
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/26/13 01:57 AM
I'm back. That's the one Canvasback.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/26/13 02:04 AM
Rocdoc: You're absolutely right! Thanks, I'll go back and do some editing.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/26/13 02:28 AM
[][/email]

The two primary color phases of birds I see up there. There is also a third phase, which is "mixed", having charactoristics of both red and grey. My "heavy" 12, a "lefty" 557 Arrieta.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/26/13 02:36 AM
[][/email]

A dear old friend I no longer own (1887 Perke's Patent John Blanch light 12). She just didn't fit and I didn't have the heart to mess with the original stock length or bend her (she was and is still in her original case).
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/26/13 02:42 AM
[][/email]

Back in 2006 or so (late September by the looks of it) with another old friend I no longer own (1892 Thomas Bland 20 bore). That's a spruce grouse cock, and the local transportation (my father-in-laws trusty old Ford).
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/26/13 03:20 AM
[][/email]

Spanish guns can be fairly handsome (the big red cockbird isn't bad either).
Posted By: canvasback Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/26/13 04:45 AM
Lloyd, my family has had cottages on that lake for decades. First place I ever hunted grouse, as a young teenager. While I won't be so foolish as to suggest I know that old road, I sure have walked down a bunch that looked like that. One of my favourite places in the world.

When I was 11 and my brother was 12, we were fishing in that lake for a few walleye for dinner and my brother caught a 40 pound Muskie. That was a bit of excitement. He leapt overboard into the shallows to ensure he didn't lose it.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/26/13 05:38 AM
Canvasback: A 40-lb muskie would be a thing to behold! I'd guess that the Canadian side of the Lake is equally as beautiful in Early October. Autumn in that region is truly magical. I wait all year for it.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/26/13 02:22 PM
[][/email]

One of my favorites! About the first week in October. Have gun, will travel.
Posted By: ed good Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/26/13 10:45 PM
wonderful pitchers!

wish ah could figure out dat photo bucket thang...
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 02/26/13 11:57 PM
wonderful pitchers!

wish ah could figure out dat photo bucket thang...

Ed, do you have any kids or grandkids, if so ask them how to post photos. While they're at it have them program your remote for your TV as well.
Steve
Posted By: popplecop Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/01/13 02:29 AM
Old Ithaca NID 16, 28" bbls. chokes opened to Sk. & IC restocked to modern dimensions. Works for me.
Posted By: dal Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/01/13 04:10 AM
My dad's 1959 Antonio Zoli 16ga. 28", self rolled spreader loads.

Don.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/01/13 11:43 PM
Novel pose of the naked breast w/the gun. Grouse is just so darn good as tablefare I even take the meat off of the drummies and the wings. It actually cooks up a bit darker than the breast meat and has even more flavor (if that's possible). When cleaning multiple birds, I set the trimmings to the side and when enough are accumulated, I create a little bundle wrapped in a strip of bacon to hold them all together. I can't take credit for this discovery however, my native Minnesotian father-in-law is the frugal soul that taught me this one. We now scramble to grab these little "packets" when the plate full of goodies hits the table.
Posted By: dal Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/02/13 01:27 AM
The breast came from my first grouse, on my first hunt, shot on the wing. Long story short, I forgot to take the 'classic' picture (did'nt know any better), so this was the next best thing! No worries though, the bird got eat'n smile

Legs, little bits, and back bone are great for grouse soup!

Don.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/02/13 02:10 AM
The first bird with a "new" gun is always an event. I completely understand. I don't know what's more special with ruffed grouse, the hunting or the eating; both are spectacular!
Posted By: Buzz Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/02/13 05:04 AM
Lloyd, Enjoyed your photos. I'm a die hard Grouse hunter. Normally hunt in the UP. My primary grouse gun is a Browning Lightning Superposed 20 bore with 28" tubes. I've got SxS's but can't hit with them near as well???? Not sure why?? Now that we're talking about how delicious Grouse are, which I totally agree with, I finally found a recipe for woodcock that I like. Used to just let them fly off, but not anymore! I filet the woodcock breast from the breast bone, then cut each little filet in half. Soak the meat in red wine for an hour or two, wrap prosciutto ham (best) or a little bacon, then tooth pick. Cook rare on a hot charcoal grill......just a couple minutes per side and what a great little treat as an appetizer, and so easy. Yum.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/02/13 06:03 PM
buzz- thank you for that, I'll try it. After many years of the hunter/gatherer thing I've distilled it down to elk/walleye/grouse and duck. The rest is good, but these are the best.
Posted By: Vol423 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/03/13 03:15 AM
I have a 6 lb Belgian Visser boxlock with side plates and 26" barrels with a Churchill rib. It is choked cylinder and full and I've had it bent to fit me. I use RST and B&P 2.5 inch shells, especially the one ounce RSTs. I even use RST spreaders in the cylinder tube. I hunt pheasant, grouse and quail with it, just changing the ammo to fit the game.
Posted By: ed good Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/03/13 02:22 PM
vol: birds should fear the man who shoots just one gun...

being a part time hobby gun dealer affords me with the opportunity to handle and shoot many different guns...it also provides a handy excuse when i miss, which is more often than not.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/04/13 09:25 PM
[][/email]

The gun that started it all for me was this 16-bore LC Smith (that my brother now owns). It's a 1927 featherweight Field Grade that seemed to fit just about everybody in my clan (we always were fighting over who got to use it). What the appeal really was, in retrospect, was it's light weight (relative to the other options available in the family at that time). This particular gun has cost me a fair amount of money over the years.
Posted By: canvasback Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/04/13 10:28 PM
vol: birds should fear the man who shoots just one gun...

being a part time hobby gun dealer affords me with the opportunity to handle and shoot many different guns...it also provides a handy excuse when i miss, which is more often than not.

LOL Ed, I always though that the basis for insisting I shoot all my guns was to be able to use that excuse.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/05/13 11:14 PM
[][/email]

Yet another gun that I've subjected to the tender mercies of TSA. It's a Ugartechea Grade 3 BLE 28 that I picked up slightly used at Lion Country Supply a few years ago (I was near their shop, flyfishing the Little Juniata River and Spruce Creek one spring) that I could never completely warm up to. Like so many guns I've owned, it just didn't fit (too-much cast off and too short), so it went on it's way to a better home. It was a svelte little unit that weighed 5lbs9 w/28 tubes, and I thought it would be the answer to all of my needs in the grouse woods. Sadly, I found that I missed far-more than I hit with it.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/06/13 12:54 PM
Sometimes, the ones that carry the best are not the ones with which one hits the best.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/06/13 03:17 PM
[][/email]
The English 16 that I ultimately settled on. Grouse guns seem to be very good quail guns as well. This is the very first bird I shot at with my W. Richards. It is also the very first wild Bobwhite I've ever killed here in Colorado.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/11/13 04:59 PM
[][/email]
Just found this in my files. My father-in-law's front yard in early September of 2012. Only six months to go now!
Posted By: Tim Frazier Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/11/13 10:26 PM
There is but one.

Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/11/13 11:06 PM
An early Model 37 in 12 gauge?
Posted By: Tim Frazier Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/11/13 11:40 PM

It's a 1931 Remington 17B 20 gauge (only gauge they were made in). While I was tongue-in-cheek about my comment, it is the only one for me. My hit/miss ratio with it this year was at 50% to include four limits and a weekend going 4/5. Past years I'd be lucky to hit a solid 1/5 birds I shot at. My nice svelte Beretta 20 and all the SxSs I've owned have never given me that kind of performance. (I wouldn't rule out just one heck of a lucky streak though)
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/12/13 12:01 AM
You can't argue with success. Neat gun! What does it tip the scales at?
Looked that one up. Designed by John Browning w/later modifications made by Pederson, it was the precurser to the Model 31 and the Ithaca Model 37.
Posted By: Tim Frazier Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/12/13 01:14 AM
You can't argue with success. Neat gun! What does it tip the scales at?
Looked that one up. Designed by John Browning w/later modifications made by Pederson, it was the precurser to the Model 31 and the Ithaca Model 37.

5lbs 14oz
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/12/13 03:04 AM
John Pederson was an interesting fellow. His model 12 (Remington) pump action .22 seems to share some of the design features of this gun. A criticism I've read of his work stated that he would use five separate parts to do a job that reqired only two. No matter, it would appear that his work has withstood the test of time.
Posted By: LegalEagle Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/12/13 08:20 PM
I have enjoyed the following:
Browning BSS, 20 ga. - 26"
Browning Citori, 20 ga.- 24"
Sauer-Sohn, 12 ga., w/ 410 ga inserts.
I also agree with the comment- it's the gun that fits you best.
Posted By: ed good Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/12/13 08:32 PM
hunted with a poly choked rem 17 20 for a while. shoots where you point it. still like that 6 pound sauer 12 bore. cant figure out how they made a 12 ga gun that light...and with minimum barrel walls at .050!
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/12/13 10:08 PM
[][/email]

Another old favorite. Which way are the birds?
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/15/13 02:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Remington40x
I think this one belongs in the perfect grouse gun thread. What a nice BSS.

OK, here you go
Originally Posted By: Bob Cash
Beautiful Browning BSS, Manufactured 1979, English stock, semi- beavertail forend. SST, 26", Mod/IC, single bead. Perfect mirror bores. 99% blue, 98% wood, lever well right of center. Tight as new, this gun has hardly been used. A couple of very small handling marks in the wood. Typical Browning dimensions, uncut stock to Makers buttplate, unremarkable BSS wood. What is remarkable you ask?? 5lbs 15 oz's.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=332704864
This gun was bought right and I can afford to sell it cheap $1699
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/15/13 01:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Tim Frazier

It's a 1931 Remington 17B 20 gauge (only gauge they were made in). While I was tongue-in-cheek about my comment, it is the only one for me. My hit/miss ratio with it this year was at 50% to include four limits and a weekend going 4/5. Past years I'd be lucky to hit a solid 1/5 birds I shot at. My nice svelte Beretta 20 and all the SxSs I've owned have never given me that kind of performance. (I wouldn't rule out just one heck of a lucky streak though)

I used the same gun to take a limit of grouse and woodcock on the same day near Orr, MN in the mid 1980s, something I've done only once in my life. I have shot around the 50% mark on grouse with only two guns, that Remington model 17B, and a straight stocked, long barreled Darne 20 gauge that I foolishly sent down the road a long time ago. I didn't sell the Remington model 17, however. I bought it on September 17 (my girlfriend at the time, Roxanne's 17th birthday) 1977, from my Dad's deer hunting partner, for $50. For a long time, it was my only repeater.
Anybody remember the name Stan Baker? I was about 19 years old when I sent him the barrel of the model 17 to "do something" about the vented Cutts that somebody installed, which hurt the ears of anyone who was near the old gun when it went off. He called me, and asked what I used the gun for. Grouse hunting, in pretty tangled country in eastern MN and western WI, I told him. He sent the barrel back, shortened to 21", with two choke tubes, neither marked with anything, I just used my pinky to figure out which was tighter. He also did an exceptional job polishing the bore and I suspect lenthening the forcing cone. It throws amazing patterns.
That began almost a decade of crackerjack grouse hunting, during a peak in the MN grouse population, with an unforgettable Gordon setter out of Springset kennels in California.
I did buy a second barrel for the old gun, 26" with modified choke, that has almost no blue on it, but, the gunsmith says it fits just fine. I should get it blued, so my hands don't get rusty when I touch it. And, pattern it a bit more.
Might be the last gun I'd ever sell. Thanks for reminding me.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/15/13 02:31 PM
[][/email]

Do Blue Grouse count as well?
Posted By: nca225 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/15/13 02:40 PM
Lloyd, How is the flavor of a Blue Grouse compare to a Ruffed Grouse?
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/15/13 05:07 PM
It is a white-meat bird that eats very well. However.......nothing comes close to ruffed for flavor or tenderness (IMHO). Ruffed grouse breasts are nearly translucent and cook up to almost a snow white. Blues are bigger birds and slightly tougher. Flavor isn't as sweet as the ruffie, and they cook up to a slightly light grey.
Posted By: Jim Cloninger Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/15/13 08:06 PM
I have an A.H. Fox BE 16 gauge made in 1914 with 26" barrels choked CYL/MOD weighing 6 lbs.
Jim
Posted By: nca225 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/15/13 09:04 PM
It is a white-meat bird that eats very well. However.......nothing comes close to ruffed for flavor or tenderness (IMHO). Ruffed grouse breasts are nearly translucent and cook up to almost a snow white. Blues are bigger birds and slightly tougher. Flavor isn't as sweet as the ruffie, and they cook up to a slightly light grey.

+1 on the taste of Mr. Ruff. If I ever get out west again I think I'll time my trip to coincide with the season on Blues.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/16/13 04:34 PM
September here is beautiful as well. Blue grouse aren't quite as tasty as ruffed grouse, but you can go flyfishing for trout after you get done hunting birds. And...the sun shines here 300 days a year.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/16/13 05:29 PM
Did your legislature outlaw pumps and autos yet?

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/16/13 08:03 PM
I suppose that's coming next. California is effectively a one-party state (and has been for a long time now), followed by Oregon, Massachusetts, Illinois, New York, Delaware, Rhode Island, and New Jersey. Colorado can't be too-far behind them now. We call it the "California Effect" here, he who panders the most, wins. Minnesota isn't exactly the the last bastion of conservatisim either. How long do you figure to be secure there?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/16/13 09:18 PM
Everything the legislature has been attempting (and, they know better than to go after specific firearms) will be shot down this session. The main cheerleader for gun control of any form is the Mpls newspaper, the Star Tribune, a group simply too stupid to figure out that no one reads their dumb, biased rag anymore, and the same group that promised "blood in the streets" and a "wild wild west" when our carry permits went from may issue to shall issue, and none of their predictions came to pass.
The liberals here are typically not the foaming-at-the-mouth psychos from the west coast, and are well aware that the pro union iron range inhabitants still purchase hunting and fishing licenses every year, and haven't forgotten what happened to Warren Spannaus when he thought the NRA didn't matter. Amy and Al said very little after Newtown. Although it looks as if undocumented aliens are going to get tuition for college this time out, we seem to be safe in this session from most of the left's agenda regarding firearms.
For now.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: The perfect ruffed grouse gun. - 03/17/13 07:16 PM
Mr. Schefelbein: For very selfish reasons, I pray that your assessment of the situation in Minnesota remains somewhat constant.

Mr. Cloninger and Mr. Frazier: After over 10 thousand hits on this thread, I am starting to sense a pattern. Grouse guns tend to be the ones that fit their owners very well and carry comfortably. The weight range seems to be between 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 pounds. The actual type of gun (double, pump, or auto) doesn't seem to matter as much as the confidence of the user in his (or her) weapon and, of course, the fit and the weight. When these components intersect, the gun becomes a precious and wonderful tool that (in many families) gets handed down from generation to generation. Over time, it then becomes imbued with a certain nostalgia for glorious days afield and owners long-since passed. May it remain ever so.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com