doublegunshop.com - home
I have a 1962 20 ga. Purdey (single, non-selective trigger with ventilated rib) that has developed a (hopefully) minor problem.

I was at an Orvis shooting school at Prairie Wildlife in West Point, MS this past week-end and the safety began to engage after the first barrel would fire. I suspect there is a spring in there somewhere that has gotten tired and the recoil from the first shot is sending the safety slid back into the safe position. This was particularly aggravating when trying to shoot doubles because I was not used to having to push the button back to the off position after shooting the first barrel.

So, can anyone recommend a good gunsmith who I can trust my Purdey to to look into this problem? I live in the South if it makes a difference. Thanks for any and all advice.
Kirk Merrington. Google him.

Best,
Ted
Dustin Mounts in Houston. Dustin is Purdey trained and their recognized gunsmith in US. 713-868-2209. He's worked on my double rifle. Work is top notch. Bob
Bobc is right, Dustin MOunt is the person to send it to.
He is the Purdey recognized gunsmith.

His phone # is 713 8682209

2031 Post Oak Rd.
Houston, Tx 77056
I've had guns repaired by the three people below. All gave really good service who met expected delivery dates. I thought their prices were fair.

Hugh Lomas - Wisconsin
http://www.hglomasgunmakers.com/

Steve Bertram - Colorado
http://bertramandco.com/

Kirk Merrington - Texas
David Trevallian oh and don't ship it UPS
Justin:

Why not UPS? And if not them, who and how? I've never done this before. Thanks.
TL, The best way to ship is U.S. Postal Service. I've done so half a dozen times at this point with no problems.

You package the gun. I use a hard case with thick wrapping paper around the case. You seal it with the special gummed tape that has reinforcing fibers in it; you have to wet the tape to make the gum/glue active. You must use that tape in order to register the package. Check the tape out at your local branch post office to be sure you get the right stuff.

Take the wrapped and addressed package into your post office and get the insurance form (Do not/not use the form for $200 max for your Purdey!!!). Insure for the value of the gun that you can justify using a bill of sale or an appraisal if you've had it many years and it has appreciated. Do NOT tell the postal clerk what is in the package. Your fees will include postage, registration fee and insurance.

Regards, Tim
Originally Posted By: tlwhhf
Justin:

Why not UPS? And if not them, who and how? I've never done this before. Thanks.
Read the thread that starts "Please keep an eye out" from a member and very well known gunsmith, and his experiences to date with a stolen valuable shotgun that was "Lost in Transit"?? by the UPS clowns. I would not entrust even a Stevens 311 to them any further than I could pick up and throw over the roof one of their baby-poop brown delivery trucks--
Purdey single triggers, especially the 3 pull are very complicated. Not just anyone can work on them. Ken Eversull in LA knows Purdey single triggers and is recommended by David Trevallion who will not himself work on the triggers. Is the stock original or replacement? If a replacement the in letting had to be done perfectly for the trigger and automatic safety to function properly. The reason I know this is I had a similar problem once. There aren't too many people who are competent to work on a Purdey single trigger, so make sure you find someone who knows for sure what he's doing as I've been told there are many of these triggers which notoriously don't work well that have been mucked up beyond repair by gunsmiths that don't know what they are doing.
I'll add another name, not to detract from the previous recommendations in any way (Kirk Merrington is my go to guy here in Texas).

Dale Tate in CA; Purdey trained.

V/r
Maxey
UPS-- I have never had a good experience with them. The somehow
broke the wrist on A Purdey double rifle shipped to me and nearly refused to make an adjustment on it. I have a long list of frustrations with them. I have nothing but good results with the USPS
I have been using a cheap foam lined plastic case. Not the long one but the " break-down" model. I put that in a tight fitting cardboard box to camo the gun case.
I use FedEx and insure the gun with my own insurance not theirs.
Oh yeah, I put the gun in the case.
I do all my shipping for repairs in such in a Perrazi hard case. You can drive an Abrams tank over it.
May not even need work on the trigger. There is a small spring underneath the top tang that gives the safety slide a bit of tension and provides a small bump for the safety slide to stay in place. The screw holding this spring may have loosened and no longer holding the slide in place. If this should be the problem it will be a one minute fix once the stock is removed. I had this happen once on a nice A&D actioned gun.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com