doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Gerry Addison Leather Covered Pads - 02/18/13 04:23 PM
Who is the best at installing leather covered pads and while I'm at it, bending stocks? Have a straight stocked english SXS that I'd like to have a leather covered pad installed on and have the stock bent straight down as it is much too high. Thanks for any information you can give me.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Leather Covered Pads - 02/18/13 04:35 PM
I haven't seen any leather pads done in this country that rival the work done by James Flynn. His work is impeccable and always looks right. I had a leather pad done by Flynns, a very classy pig skin pad done in "oxblood" that was absolutely beautiful.
Posted By: RCC Re: Leather Covered Pads - 02/18/13 05:00 PM
"Had"? Did you sell that gun?

Gerry, he is not stroking you. Flynn's work on that pad was flawless.
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Leather Covered Pads - 02/18/13 05:01 PM
David Yale's wife, Kathy, from Colorado does some beautiful pads as well.
Posted By: Gnomon Re: Leather Covered Pads - 02/18/13 05:40 PM
New England Custom in NH make very fine pads and also do excellent stock bending.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Leather Covered Pads - 02/18/13 07:47 PM
Originally Posted By: RCC

Gerry, he is not stroking you. Flynn's work on that pad was flawless.

Yep, "had". I had to sell it. It was much too high class for the likes of me. It really cramped my style. I'm back to shooting H&R Topper models and couldn't be happier.

Posted By: 1cdog Re: Leather Covered Pads - 02/18/13 09:46 PM
I would second James Flynn - he does great work. Trouble may be in scheduling the work.
Posted By: RCC Re: Leather Covered Pads - 02/18/13 09:56 PM
Originally Posted By: LeFusil
Originally Posted By: RCC

It was much too high class for the likes of me. It really cramped my style. I'm back to shooting H&R Topper models and couldn't be happier.

You know that you go to Hell just as fast for lying as for anything else?
Posted By: Gerry Addison Re: Leather Covered Pads - 02/19/13 04:22 PM
Has anyone had a leather pad done by JJ at Champlin?
Posted By: GJZ Re: Leather Covered Pads - 02/19/13 04:26 PM
Del Whitman put a leather-covered pad on a Grant sidelever I owned. It was perfect.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: Leather Covered Pads - 02/19/13 07:52 PM
I will second the recommendation of Del Whitman. He does a very nice job however, be aware that he prefers to use goat skin to cover the pad as it he feels is easier to work with.

If you are insistent enough he will use pig skin (or likely any other leather you prefer). I have several he has done for me with goat skin & one done with pig skin & IMO the pig skin covered pad is nicer & more traditional looking & holds up better to wear from briars, thorns & such. He also did a pig skin covered pad on an island lock Purdey hammer gun for a friend of mine that was very nice work.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Leather Covered Pads - 02/19/13 08:46 PM
Ken Eversull's shop in LA did an outstanding pig skin leather pad for me. Plus, Ken is an outstanding double gunsmith.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com