doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Tom28ga CZ - Ringneck - 02/19/07 01:12 PM
I bought a 28ga. CZ Ringneck last week and, finally got a chance to shoot it yesterday. It has the uncomfortable habit of fan firing on occasion...most of the time, if you're shooting low gun.

One of my shooting partners had the same thing happen with a CZ Ringneck he bought and fired for the first time last week.
Neither of us is new to the shooting game...both have shot hundreds of thousands of rounds out of every type and gauge shotgun around. Yes, I understand the physics of what's occuring... put the gun in a machine and it will work flawlessly. Also, the trigger pulls are atrocious..6.5Lbs and 8.5Lbs. respectively.

Has anyone else had this problem and did the company solve it for you?
Posted By: Bill Hambidge Re: CZ - Ringneck - 02/19/07 01:26 PM
Had a problem with both a 12 and a 28 several years ago, they worked fine on low base/mild skeet loads but both doubled on heavy dove loads. Called CZ,sent both guns in,10 days later the Big Brown Truck pulled up with 2 new guns, no questions, no hassle, no problems with the replcements. Best, Dr. Bill
Posted By: JayCee Re: CZ - Ringneck - 02/19/07 01:35 PM
Sorry for asking, but what is "fan firing" in a double?
Is like a slightly delayed doubling?

I knew of fanning a single action revolver but never
heard it before for a shotgun (which only goes to show
why I add AL "Always Learning" to my initials).

JC(AL)
Posted By: Tom28ga Re: CZ - Ringneck - 02/19/07 01:52 PM
When a gun doubles, both barrels fire simultaneously. With fan firing, there is a millisecond delay. It has to do with how the single trigger resets for the second shot.
Posted By: marklart Re: CZ - Ringneck - 02/19/07 02:24 PM
Sorry to hear that Tom. Go for the 28ga. bobwhite with double triggers and you won't have to worry about single trigger misfires.
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: CZ - Ringneck - 02/19/07 03:16 PM
YGWYPF.
Posted By: improved modified Re: CZ - Ringneck - 02/19/07 07:25 PM
YGWYPF is that why you buy bottom feeder Spanish guns?
Posted By: Tom28ga Re: CZ - Ringneck - 02/19/07 07:57 PM
"YGWYPF is that why you buy bottom feeder Spanish guns?"

I have enough high grade American doubles to fill my modest gun cabinet, thank you.

This question was about my bottom feeder Spanish double and its trigger problem.

Occasionally, it's nice to have a rainy day gun rather than drag a $7,500+ gun into the field.

I really don't have to justify my gun purchases to anyone.
Posted By: devrep Re: CZ - Ringneck - 02/19/07 08:03 PM
Tom, I think he was directing that bottom feeder comment to Jim, not you. Your CZ (Huglu) is Turkish, not spanish.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: CZ - Ringneck - 02/19/07 09:19 PM
The issue is most likely that the inertia weight (I'm assuming you have an inertia trigger) is not moving sufficiently to block the second (involuntary) pull. You might be able to "free up" the weight with some lube, a bit of cleaning, more shooting, or some stouter shells. If not, send it back. Unreliable single triggers are a PITA and the mechanisms can be real picky about adjustment.
Posted By: ShootingStar Re: CZ - Ringneck - 02/19/07 09:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Tom28ga
Also, the trigger pulls are atrocious..6.5Lbs and 8.5Lbs. respectively.

Your's aren't all that bad. I shot a 20 ga. Ringneck that was 10 and 11.5 lbs. out of the box!
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: CZ - Ringneck - 02/19/07 10:54 PM
Originally Posted By: improved modified
YGWYPF is that why you buy bottom feeder Spanish guns?

YGWYPF certainly applies to what you call "bottom feeder" Spanish guns, as well.
Doesn't take much to make your day, IM. I'm happy you got a thrill.

Buy AMERICAN! Buy a Browning, Remington, Winchester, Savage, Mossberg, Smith & Wesson, Kimber, etc!
Posted By: Tom28ga Re: CZ - Ringneck - 02/20/07 12:10 AM
No inertia block in this gun. They have some kind of spring operated system. The trigger pulls have to be set at around 7lbs. to keep from doubling.

Look, these guns are pretty well made and really the only game in town at less than $1,000 in 28ga. From a price standpoint, I'm in this gun right...NIB at a little over $500 with tax. I don't apologize for owning the gun, customer service was great, and we'll get it right.

My question was directed toward those who own the gun and may have had a similar problem and how it was dealt with. I want to know that these issues can be resolved in a timely manner and won't happen on a continuing basis.

I have great SxS's and this gun will never be more than an foul weather option, BUT, I don't own guns for long than can't be relied on to function properly.
Posted By: Hansli Re: CZ - Ringneck - 02/20/07 12:40 AM
Quote:
Buy AMERICAN! Buy a Browning, Remington, Winchester, Savage, Mossberg, Smith & Wesson, Kimber, etc!

Sure, if it was still 1980.
Posted By: chux Re: CZ - Ringneck - 02/20/07 02:04 AM
I have a ringneck 28ga, that I traded a never used ruger o/u 20ga for, used it all season for quail.. shot it great, never had a problem and it went threw some tough briar country.. (I bought it for the brush) My british sxs hunting buddy shot it and will be buying one soon for the same reason
Posted By: improved modified Re: CZ - Ringneck - 02/20/07 04:54 PM
You guys are Funny! I've gotta love Jim, his opinion and all! Now I know why I like this board. Time to make a donation. Super people. Tom don't blow a gasket. I have the same gun as you. No problems however. I like it so much that I might get Jim one for Christmas, 2025!
Posted By: rgh2 Re: CZ - Ringneck - 02/20/07 05:06 PM
I arrived home last night from a Hermosillo, Mexico three day dove shoot. I took two 20 ga. CZ Bobwhites and I shot both of them. I had no problems of any kind. I did have to have the stocks bent down a little and the triggers adjusted to a lighter pull so I have about $825 in each gun. They are good guns for Mexico or Argentina trips.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: CZ - Ringneck - 02/20/07 05:50 PM
Hello all,

I thought I would chime in since I had wondered about the CZ shotguns for a time and read the pro and con opinions for quite awhile. My conclusion from reading research was that 2nd hand and 1st hand opinions run about 50/50 pro/con with the con of course including those who do not own one of the guns. Their opinion is not to be dismissed however, but weighed properly and very often they compare CZs to more exspensive guns with more solid reputation, (beretta) which is fair because most people buy guns to shoot not just for pretty. From my research of opinions, I kindly say that I learned that a $800.00 doublegun has more quality problems than a $2000.00 double! The question remained however, is a CZ Ringneck worth $800.? This is what I beleive Jim is saying, though I by no means intend to put words in his mouth. If you only have $800. to put into a shotgun buy a Remington 870, 1100, a Winchester pump, or even a Mossberg. They are tested and can be relied on. If you want that in a double buy a Merkel,Beretta, or and SKB. But, If you are like me and just can't stop wondering about that nice looking CZ Ringneck for $800 bucks- buy one! I did and so far I can't find anything wrong with mine, but it is not heavily used. I like the egonomics of a sxs and own a few, but I needed to know about this low priced gun. As I have said absolutely nothing wrong yet(the trigger pull is good too), but if something like [doubling]shows up I am gonna say "YGWYPF". Then if it is still under warranty I'm going to send it back to get fixed and if the warranty has exspired I am going to take a look inside myself. I don't think I'll ruin the collecters value.

Best to all,

Kurt
Posted By: Rocketman Re: CZ - Ringneck - 02/20/07 06:03 PM
So, how does this spring operated system of single trigger work?? Does it require 7# pulls to work reliably or are some of the guys just lucky and in for doubling trouble with their lighter pulls? I'm not knocking anything, just interested in how it works.
Posted By: Ortolan Re: CZ - Ringneck - 02/20/07 06:03 PM
Citori; Citori; Citori - Purchase, remove from box; load; fire. Load; fire. Load; fire. Load; fire. Load; fire. Load; fire. Load; fire. Repeat for 25 rnds if skeet or trap shooting; 50 rnds. if Sporting Clays shooting. Disassemble gun; clean; reassemble; put back in gunsafe. Proceed directly to the next page of life today in this great country of ours. As for the current flood from the high altitude yurts where they grow the Circassian - absolutely nothing beats a "bargain project gun" right out of the box - all camel turds and soft metal - your gunsmith's friend for life - but it was a DEAL! KBM
Posted By: vizslaman Re: CZ - Ringneck - 02/20/07 11:11 PM
My 28 Ringneck doubled on me the second or third box of shells. I called CZ, they were very polite and helpful. I sent it in and got it back about a month later. Repaired? I hope. Haven't had the opportunity here in the frozen tundra to shoot it since.
Ray
Posted By: chux Re: CZ - Ringneck - 02/21/07 03:35 AM
I bought a ringneck soley to hunt quail in the briars, it probably will get shot less then 50times a year. It points well and I shoot it well. I do not like to hunt with o/u but also do not want to abuse my "nicer" sxs in some nasty briars we have here in Bama. (My hands and butt cheeks are ripped up from this past weekend!) Alot of folks on this board think everyone should carry a bespoke brit gun...well goody for them...The ringneck is not a 2k +plus gun but I think a hell of a deal for a nice looking small frame 28 ga for 800 bucks!!
Posted By: oganza Re: CZ - Ringneck - 02/21/07 05:15 AM
I think that the SxS single trigger is similar to their o/u trigger group. Dehaan show the single o/u, but not the single SxS. Go to the technical info tab on the left. http://www.dhshotguns.com/

I have 2 Dehaan o/u's (U1E and U4E)and they have both worked great. They are about 5 years old now. It was under $1500 for both guns at the time. I've had one light strike with the U4E. It was in the first box of shells. 2000 shots later it has worked every time. I hunt with the U1E and it has doubled once. I was working the barrel selector to loosen it up and was interupted by a dove. Two barrels at once makes a great pattern! About 5000 shots later and it is still going strong.
I'm a fan.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com