doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gjw Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 11/27/12 05:16 PM
Hi all, for those who have one, how is single trigger on this gun? Reliable? Heavy pull?

Not interested in the DT model, just the ST model.

Also, are the bbls thick enough for steel shot (size 3 and smaller) in IC/Mod?
Any help would be great!

Thanks!!!

Greg
Posted By: PA24 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 11/27/12 08:47 PM
Originally Posted By: gjw
Hi all, for those who have one, how is single trigger on this gun? Reliable? Heavy pull?

Not interested in the DT model, just the ST model.

Also, are the bbls thick enough for steel shot (size 3 and smaller) in IC/Mod?
Any help would be great!

Thanks!!!

Greg

I don't know about the single trigger, as I never buy single trigger side by sides..........

As far as the barrels go, the new ones just posted within the last week at Cabela's all have 5 choke tubes that come with the guns...12, 16 and 20......imported by IAC, Billerica, MA. - (Interstate Arms Corp.).....

I just bought a new Dickinson DT 28" 16 GA from them, to go with my DT S & W 20 GA, and the barrels are thick enough for steel or anything else you want to shoot through them .....

Here's some pictures of the new choke tube muzzle on my 16.....In my opinion they did a really nice job with these choke tubes, very sanitary set up with a slight flush recess and ABSOLUTELY NO BARREL BULGE.........friction spanner wrench to insert and change the choke tubes, nice set up I think.......

Sorry, still covered in packing grease and lint......

Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 11/27/12 10:36 PM
Not sure about the new Dickinson model but I heard mixed reviews on the STs back when they were imported by S&W. I'd prefer the double for sure. Why are you interested in the ST?

I like those chokes. Very clean looking and attractive.

Adam
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 11/27/12 10:48 PM
When you get it all unpacked and cleaned up how about some more pics Doug?
Posted By: PA24 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/01/12 12:12 AM
Originally Posted By: J.R.B.
When you get it all unpacked and cleaned up how about some more pics Doug?

Jerb, here's the pictures of the new 16 that I promised you on the PM....gun is cleaned up and ready to go.....

I included some pictures of the choke system and associated tool and also some pictures of the Southgate ejector spring removal so you could see that as well......I personally don't care for ejectors and it's simple to pull the springs and put them back in should you want too..........

Best Regards,

Posted By: PA24 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/01/12 12:13 AM

Posted By: goosedowner Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/01/12 02:11 AM
Very nice
Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/01/12 04:03 AM
Impressive. IMO, they isn't a better new SXS available for that kind of money.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/01/12 04:15 AM
Blued barrels, not black chrome. Nice case colors. Appears from the available photos to have a long slender fore-end. The appearance of the guns the Turks build just keep getting better and better.

Have you checked for barrel regulation yet, Doug?

SRH
Posted By: PA24 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/01/12 04:47 AM
Not yet Stan, just detailed it out today and took my time inspecting, cleaning and waxing -- EEZOXing etc.......

It sure is a sweet handling gun, the quality and balance are outstanding IMO........

Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/01/12 05:09 AM
Thanks for showing the ejector spring dis-assembly Doug.

Jay
Posted By: oldmanriver Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/01/12 12:43 PM
Seems like a really tall rib,(made from two differant steels in the cross section view ?).What is the drop at heel?
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/01/12 01:19 PM
That is one sweet shotgun Doug. The only thing I wouldn't care for is the LOP. I like an even 14'. Anything longer gets hooked in my shirt or hunting vest. For me the ejectors would be an added plus.
Posted By: popplecop Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/01/12 01:57 PM
Very nice looking SxS with the proper amount of triggers.
Posted By: jerry66stl Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/02/12 06:22 PM
I've been hunting with the 20 ga. S&W version of this shotgun for the past few years, and am very pleased with it. Zero problems.

Jerry
Posted By: PA24 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/04/12 04:25 AM
Originally Posted By: oldmanriver
Seems like a really tall rib,(made from two differant steels in the cross section view ?).

oldmanriver:

Double barrel shotguns generally have soldered upper and lower ribs between the barrels, the contrast you are seeing is the solder versus the steel......

The rib follows the same designed contour as it leaves the receiver.....they are raised and not swamped ribs on these guns.....hope this helps.......

Best,
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/04/12 12:41 PM
Doug;
Do these guns have Chopper Lump bbls. It would appear the rib may be hollowed out for weight reduction & either has a plug at the breech end or perhaps a projection from the chopper lump (if used) for the rib to set on. I had not noticed it until the question about it being two pieced was asked, but that is an unusual solder line for a rib.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/04/12 12:51 PM
The rib does look strange.

Is that the gauge stamped on the sides of the barrel ?
Posted By: Dave K Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/04/12 12:55 PM
Man that is one nice gun for that kinda money, the CC,nice long tang and finish.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/04/12 02:20 PM
That raised level rib is one of the best features of this gun. I highly prefer it to a swamped rib, which is an abomination on a nice sxs. The RBLs should have had this type rib.
JR
Posted By: Franchi Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/04/12 02:45 PM
Hi All:

That is a nice looking gun! What is the price for one of these and how much does it weigh?

Stay well,

Franchi
Posted By: PA24 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/04/12 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Franchi
Hi All:

That is a nice looking gun! What is the price for one of these and how much does it weigh?

Stay well,

Franchi

Franchi:

With 28" barrels and English grip the 20 averages 6 lbs 6 ounces with ejectors, the 16 averages 6 lbs 8 ounces with ejectors.....some are heavier based on wood density, check the listings....

Since I'm an avid reloader, I remove the ejector springs on mine and lose about 2-3 ounces overall weight.....

Cabela's is selling them all for $1599.00 + tax & shipping right now...12 ga, 16 ga, 20 ga....all stores, check the Cabela's gun library on line for multiple pictures of all the inventory by store location....

Average dimensions are: 14 3/4 LOP...1 3/8 DAC...2 1/4 DAH...

Hope this helps.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jOe:

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
The rib does look strange.

Is that the gauge stamped on the sides of the barrel?

No jOe, it says in hieroglyphics - "Made in Memphis"....... and on the other side there is a picture of a "Wiener dog and a blackbird"...........

Hope this helps.......

Posted By: Gnomon Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/04/12 03:59 PM
Can the stock on these be bent since they have a thru-bolt?

The Kimber Valier was a very nice gun - I shot it a few times when it first came out. These guys might indeed be making a very good reasonably priced SxS shotgun and that might get a lot of people back to these guns. A lot depends on how they feel.
Posted By: PA24 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/04/12 04:04 PM

Gnomon:

I would think not bending the thru bolt stock would be advisable....?....But I'm sure someone may try.....?...

These guns handle really nice, let's say, comparable to Fox Sterlingworth's etc. IMO.....plus they will, of course, shoot modern ammo up to and including steel duck - goose loads and buck shot for coyotes, fox etc.........

I hope these guns help get folks back into Side by Sides, their light weight, beauty and appeal with great handling qualities should convert some folks back............

I think much of the younger crowd is still in love with "Black Plastic" and "Camo Plastic".....and the "Clack, Clack, Clack of Hollywood".....?.....

Best,
Posted By: gjw Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/04/12 04:13 PM
I just want to say that I've been very interested in this gun and that Doug has been more than helpful with answering several questions I asked him. I trust his judgement and his advise.

Thanks Doug, you've been grand!

Greg
Posted By: 2holer Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/04/12 06:08 PM
My friends Dickinson 28" 12b with 15" LOP weighs 6 lb 9 oz. They probably do the same hollow rib as Huglu does.
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/05/12 12:49 AM
If I didn't have a 16 SxS that I really like I might give one of these a try. I would remove the ejector components for the weight savings.

One of the Cabelas guns showed stock dimensions of 14 7/8" X 1 1/4" X 2 1/4", that's good and high. No cast was mentioned so can we assume that the stock is neutral? It could work out by increasing the drops at comb and heal and thin the stock face to "create" some cast as an alternative to trying to bend the stock.

Chief
Posted By: BPGuy Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/05/12 03:41 AM
I think that's a pretty damn good lookin' gun, congrats!
Posted By: PA24 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/05/12 09:28 PM

Some of you guys asked for these Dickinson pictures of the internal trigger assemblies etc., as taken from the owners manual....

These can be blown up for your viewing by Ctrl ++++ as most of you know........sorry about the pictures, but the book is quite small and I tried to keep the clarity reasonable.........

Happy Holidays to All.......

Posted By: 2holer Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/06/12 03:08 AM
As was said a trigger plate action, as is the mega buck Dicksons.
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/06/12 03:59 AM
Thanks for posting the drawings Doug. After seeing the ads for the David McKay Brown guns showing their trigger plate action internals, I was especially interested in the Dickinson hammer springs. These appear unlike anything I've seen before.

Jay
Posted By: Franchi Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/06/12 02:32 PM
HI:

Am I wrong to think that this "Turkish" gun is over priced by about $600.00? While it is a nice looking gun, It is the same price as a Beretta Silver Pigeon 1. Which gun would hold its value better?

I may be living in ignorance, but the price seems to be quite inflated.

Stay well my friends,

Leomat
Posted By: PA24 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/06/12 06:13 PM
HI:

Am I wrong to think that this "Turkish" gun is over priced by about $600.00? While it is a nice looking gun, It is the same price as a Beretta Silver Pigeon 1. Which gun would hold its value better?

Stay well my friends,

Leomat

Hi Leomat:

For openers, Beretta does not make a 16 gauge shotgun, check it out.........

http://www.berettausa.com/shop-by-department/firearms/field-shotguns/

Beretta's website says no 16's....about a year ago I called the Beretta Gallery in Dallas and they said without pause, "We do not make any 16 gauge guns"...?.....Maybe that has changed recently, if so, I'm not aware of it.....

Beretta did make some 16's before WWII .....

I also did not know you could buy any new side by side Beretta for this kind of money ($1599.00), am I wrong...?

Best,
Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/07/12 01:47 AM
HI:

Stay well my friends,

Leomat

I'd have to disagree,

The Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 currently retails for $2250 and usually sell for around $2000.

Beretta's base SXS... the 471 Silverhawk retails for $3850.

You'd be hard pressed to find a comparable, new, quality SXS in the same price range as the Dickinson. If you know of something, please share.

Adam
Posted By: Franchi Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/07/12 08:33 PM
Hi All:

I got caught comparing apples to oranges!

From what I hear, people are paying about $1600.00 for the Beretta SP1 despite what the list price is.

I guess that it costs much more to make a SxS than an O/U.

If a gun is a 16 gage, does it cost more than other gages? Sometimes this may be true in the smaller guns like the.410.

Some people refer to the SP1 an an entry level shot gun. Is the Cabela's gun also considered an entry level gun? I guess compared to the price of Beretta SxS it may well be also considered an entry level gun.

In any case, thanks for the information.

Stay well,

Franchi
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/08/12 03:22 PM
2 1/4" is a high comb for my tastes. Simple enough to shave it down and refinish, but still.....

Not sure why most modern guns have such high combs? I don't like seeing a lot of rib when I look down the barrels, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Not everyone shoots at fast rising birds.
Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/08/12 04:18 PM
To me, those dimensions are about perfect. But then again, I hunt quail.

Adam
Posted By: PA24 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/08/12 08:10 PM

They fit me very well as manufactured......I hunt game in several countries and clays etc....these are really good guns in my opinion.......works for me.......... I use a slip on leather Pachmayr pad usually.......

20 gauge S & W foreground.....16 gauge Dickinson background....subtle differences......

Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/16/13 03:15 PM
Doug, how did your Dickinson's barrels check out for accuracy?

I just picked up a used 16 from the Cabelas in Rogers MN that looks to be virtually unfired. It's just like yours, even the double triggers, a first for me. Not sure when I'll get out and shoot it, but have to do that within their 30 day return period. They had a new one with single trigger too, but the bolt was so sticky you just about had to bruise your thumb to open it.

They also had a 20 and a 12, both minty. None of them on the Cabelas website listings.

Jay
Posted By: PA24 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/16/13 03:23 PM

Hi Jay,

The new 16 patterns really nice IMO...I've shot it quite a bit, using B & P 16 F2 Classics 1 1/16 oz, some Eley 16 duck loads that I have several cases of and my handloads of course, also some Remington field load factory 7's & 7.5's........

I'm very pleased with the gun and it shoots about like my 20 which is a fixed choke S&W as pictured above.....I prefer the full and modified chokes out here and those are the chokes I leave in the gun....

Glad to hear you found one, I think you will really like it.....

What do you think of the gun, now that you have one in your hands, pictures.......?

Best Regards,
Posted By: King Brown Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/16/13 04:02 PM
My nephew, an experienced goose and duck hunter, is coming around to doubles. Unfortunately, Cabela's Canada is not stocking either one.
Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/16/13 04:21 PM
I know the Gun Library will send guns from store to store on request. I wonder if they send one to Canada.
Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/16/13 04:22 PM
What were the used Dickinsons running?
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/16/13 04:30 PM
Originally Posted By: PA24
What do you think of the gun, now that you have one in your hands, pictures.......?

Overall I like it a lot. I like the weight forward feel. Balance point is about 5-1/2" ahead of the front trigger, one hand carry is more on the forend than the frame. Also like the longish Merkel-like forend. Front trigger pull feels heavy enough that I might have it reduced.

No time right now, will post a few pics later.

Jay
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/16/13 06:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Adam Stinson
What were the used Dickinsons running?

The barely used guns in the Rogers store were $1399. I thought I was handling a new gun until they told me otherwise.

My 16 weighs 6 lbs. 9 oz. The barrels weigh an ounce under 3 lbs., the stock/frame an ounce over 3 lbs., the forend 9 ounces.

Closing the gun is easy through cocking the hammers, but it takes some effort to fully close, and when resistance is overcome it's not easy to keep the action from slamming shut. If this is from compressing the ejector springs, I may remove them as Doug has.

Apologies for the poor quality photos. Doug's are much better, and it's just like his. But these at least give an idea on the wood and color aspects unique to each gun.

Jay

Posted By: PA24 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/16/13 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Gunflint Charlie

Closing the gun is easy through cocking the hammers, but it takes some effort to fully close, and when resistance is overcome it's not easy to keep the action from slamming shut. If this is from compressing the ejector springs, I may remove them as Doug has.

Jay

Beautiful gun Jay.....very nice......congratulations......

Yes, the closing, cocking stiffness is mostly from the ejector springs being so strong (over center compression).....most of that goes away when you remove the ejector springs.........

It makes the gun a sweet opening, closing and unloading gun, especially for reloaders who don't want their hulls in the dirt or hull dings in the finish after years of use and no need to hold your hand over the breech anymore........

Enjoy and Best Regards,
Posted By: gjw Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/16/13 11:51 PM
Hi all, Jay, you sure have nice wood on yours. Congrats!!! Mine has a little feathering but that's really about all for grain.

One thing folks should look out for if your looking to buy one is the stock finish. It's crap!

Mine has the standard poly and it does not hold up well at all. It scratches easy and rubs on the finish show up all to well.

I tend to baby my guns, but even with careful handling, the finish still does not hold up well.

I plan on having the finish removed and have an oil finish put on her.

Other than that, the gun has been trouble free, I really like them!

Again, Congrats Jay!!

Greg
Posted By: PA24 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/17/13 12:52 AM

That's funny Greg.....my stock looks just like the day it arrived.........first thing I did was wax it big time with Carnuba, rub it out, like I do all my guns......I've shot probably 5-700 rounds through it and still no scratches....?........Do you wear coats that have the buttons under a felt flap, or exposed......?.....

I'm very pleased with the finish and it holds up very well IMO, same as my 20 S&W which still remains unscratched after lot's of hunting and about 3-4K rounds through it...(as pictured above).......but I am careful with them and all my guns, wearing gloves always........

Best,
Posted By: gjw Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/17/13 01:21 AM
Hi Doug, my finish maybe a fluke of course. Mine is one of the new ones with tubes, as is your I think. I also wax my stocks before I go out, more for water protection than scratch protection, which of course wax is not the best.

I don't have any exposed buttons, zippers etc. on the gear that I wear hunting.

I think I posted that when I got mine, there was lint or metal fibers (steel wool?) that is under the finish. Not the best QC.

As I said, mine maybe a fluke or perhaps yours is the fortunate exception.

All I can is my experience with mine. I have a few other guns with poly finishes and they've held up very well.

It would be interesting to hear what other Dickinson owner have to say about their guns finish.

Still, I do like these Dickinsons, a darn good gun IMO.

Thanks and best regards!

Greg
Posted By: PA24 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/17/13 01:23 AM

You've hunted with Wade, hows' his stock look after hunting use....?

Best,
Posted By: gjw Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/17/13 01:28 AM
Hey Doug, Wades finish is about like mine. He really hunted his S&W hard and it shows. His Dickinson's better but as much as I can recall, it's scratched up also.

Maybe he'll chime in here soon.

Best!

Greg
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/17/13 01:35 PM
I have a Dickinson 20ga that I picked up for field test from Cabela's in Owatonna. Measurements are a bit different on mine: LOP 14 3/4", DAH 2". I like high stocks, but this one is too long for me--especially right now, in northern Wisconsin! Owatonna also had a 16 and a 12. The 20 had the nicest wood of the three. All are straight/splinter/DT, all $1399.

Re the "slightly used" part . . . I'll have to check with Tom Bryant at Sidney before I do the writeup, but I don't think they're actually used--or at least most of them aren't--in the sense of having been fired. I believe what happened with them is similar to the old I. Rizzini (FAIR) OU's that Cabela's picked up and closed out at pretty attractive prices when New England Arms went out of business. The guns are actually new, but because they went from one dealer to another, they're not classified that way.

I've shot several rounds of skeet with mine. Accuracy is fine. Best I've done is 23, but it clearly shoots where I look. Good, solid breaks even using 3/4 oz loads through the C/IC choke combo. My only real complaint are the triggers. Specifically the front one on mine. My trigger pull gauge only goes to 8#, and this one almost gets me there. It's crisp, but it's way heavier than it should be.

Weight on mine is just under 6 1/2 on a digital scale. They could save weight with a shorter forend (pretty long splinter), and I'm guessing the raised rib--which is pretty high for a sxs field gun--probably adds some as well. The wrist is thick, as is the stock in general, although that's at least in part because it's a through bolt gun.

Other than the trigger pull, function has been perfect. $1400 for a gun with ejectors and a full set of choke tubes, more than decent fit and finish (stock is proud where it meets the receiver, but not bad)--don't think there's much on the new sxs market that can compete.
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/17/13 02:52 PM
Larry, I'd guessed the same Larry about Cabelas calling some of the guns "pre-owned". The breech face of my 16 shows no evidence that it's been fired.

I didn't notice the thickness in the wrist, measured the circumference at 4-5/8". Mine has LOP of 14-3/4", DAC is 1-1/2" and DAH is a sixteenth more than 2-1/4".

I'm curious to find out what difference there is between the 20 and 16 ga. frames. Mine is a hair less than 1-1/2" across the water table, is 2-1/8" across the breech face, and breech face height is 1-1/8". Center of the breech face where it meets the rib is only 1/16" higher.

I'm a little surprised that the safety isn't automatic.

Jay
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/17/13 03:02 PM
Jay, I'll be sure to doublecheck that, but I'm pretty confident they can't sell them as "new" if they picked them up from another dealer. Same applies if you trade them a gun you bought new but never fired. They can call them "unfired in the box", but not new. Might even have something to do with any warranty from the manufacturer, but I'm not sure about that.
Posted By: gjw Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/17/13 10:24 PM
Hi all, Cabela's seems to put these guns in both the Gun Library and New Gun sections of their stores. Guess it all depends on the store and how that store markets them.

I know I've been looking for a 12ga Dickinson with tubes and some stores I've contacted have them in the New Gun section, but are not listed on the Library Web Site.

So....who knows!

Best!

Greg
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/17/13 10:30 PM
Greg--Owatonna had 3 in the Library, none listed under the Library inventory. They should still have a DT 12ga, and I think it has tubes. $1399.
Posted By: gjw Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/17/13 10:34 PM
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Greg--Owatonna had 3 in the Library, none listed under the Library inventory. They should still have a DT 12ga, and I think it has tubes. $1399.

Thanks COL for the tip. The must have got some in as earlier they told me they didn't have any.

I'll check it out.

Thanks again!

Greg
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/17/13 11:05 PM
Here's the link to the Cabelas library Dickinsons available presently. It changes from day to day. I bought a 12ga with choke tubes from the Lehi, Utah store.

<http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cm...mp;x=23&y=8>

It looks like the new ones are all priced at about $1,599 and the older fixed choke guns at $1,399...Geo

Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/17/13 11:14 PM
The Cabelas website does not list all the guns available at all the stores. As of last Monday there were 4 Dickinsons at the Rogers MN store, 3 of which were in the Gun Library. They've had these guns for at least a month, and they never appeared in their online listings. Mine and others at $1399 had the choke tubes.
Posted By: wburns Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/18/13 05:01 AM
Originally Posted By: gjw
Hey Doug, Wades finish is about like mine. He really hunted his S&W hard and it shows. His Dickinson's better but as much as I can recall, it's scratched up also.

Maybe he'll chime in here soon.

Best!

Greg

Sorry for not responding sooner, but I have been out shoping for fine guns with Wanko laugh.

My impression of both finishes are that they are not strong. Both in the case coloring and poly finish. This is equal for the S&W and the Dickinson. I have owned my S&W for four years and have owned my Dickinson for two. I dont shoot my Dickinson all that much due to if I want to shoot a 12 I usually shoot my Dickson do it has recieved much less wear than my Smith. I will say that the poly finish scratches easily on both but less so on the SW and the case coloring wears off fast without applying a protective finish. This has happened not only on my S&W but a friend of mine gun as well. Here is a picture of the action of my S&W.

Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/18/13 06:14 AM
I like the look of worn colors... So thats a plus for me! I guess I'll have to get the stock refinished.

Adam
Posted By: sparkyflint Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/20/13 12:27 AM
My question is if either of these have ANY cast? As a lefty I want at least neutral-and the O/U does list as having some cast-off.

Also-the Dickinson is a boxlock, not the S&W trigger-plate action, correct?

Local shop has a 28" single trigger S&W that I've considered, but really would rather hold out for a 28 DT. Has anyone else run across the 28 in ST? I thought those were exclusively on the 26. Makes me wonder if someone switched barrels-and if that would even be possible on these.
Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/20/13 01:06 AM
The Dickinsons are the EXACT same design as the S&W.
Posted By: PA24 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/20/13 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: sparkyflint
My question is if either of these have ANY cast? As a lefty I want at least neutral-and the O/U does list as having some cast-off.

Also-the Dickinson is a boxlock, not the S&W trigger-plate action, correct?

Mine all have zero cast...I am a lefty as well......

S&W and Dickinson are trigger plate actions, both the same, factory made no changes other than cosmetic....

Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/20/13 02:12 AM
Confusion about boxlock vs. triggerplate is I think partly due to the maker referring to them as boxlock guns. I was surprised to see this on the box. Probably just meaning to distinguish them from sidelocks without confusing people who don't know how a triggerplate action differs. The Cabelas Gun Library guys I talked to at the Rogers store called them boxlocks -- which didn't surprise me after seeing the box marking. But I was surprised that they were entirely unfamiliar with the triggerplate action in general.

Jay
Posted By: sparkyflint Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/20/13 02:56 PM
Do those with choke tubes have any swelling at the muzzle to accommodate the tubes, or are they straight walled?
Posted By: Slowpokebill Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/20/13 03:06 PM
Originally Posted By: sparkyflint
Do those with choke tubes have any swelling at the muzzle to accommodate the tubes, or are they straight walled?

They are nicely done straight walls with none of that slight blunderbuss flare.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/22/13 12:11 PM
I had Mark Beasland pull the action on my field test gun the other day. Looks pretty nice on the inside, nothing rough or anything like that. However . . . there's not a lot of engagement between sear and hammer, which makes trigger work pretty tricky. I'm returning mine to Cabela's today and I'll check the triggers on the other guns they have in the Library, but my advice to a buyer who's concerned with heavy triggers--and not everyone is, and these are at least crisp although definitely heavy (7# plus)--to stick in snap caps and try them in the store before buying. If you're figuring on having someone lighten the triggers very much, that may not work.
Posted By: wburns Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/22/13 02:24 PM
Larry, do they have any 16ga guns in stock?
Posted By: RCC Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/22/13 03:10 PM
Cabela's in Billings had three for sale yesterday, a 12, a 16, a 20 and all for $1599.00
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/23/13 01:45 PM
Cabela's in Owatonna also has a 16. Double trigger gun.
Posted By: 2holer Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/23/13 05:51 PM
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
I had Mark Beasland pull the action on my field test gun the other day. Looks pretty nice on the inside, nothing rough or anything like that. However . . . there's not a lot of engagement between sear and hammer, which makes trigger work pretty tricky. I'm returning mine to Cabela's today and I'll check the triggers on the other guns they have in the Library, but my advice to a buyer who's concerned with heavy triggers--and not everyone is, and these are at least crisp although definitely heavy (7# plus)--to stick in snap caps and try them in the store before buying. If you're figuring on having someone lighten the triggers very much, that may not work.

Maybe if sent to the importer they would do it. I know CZ (Huglu) will lighten triggers if over 7 lb for free. I sent one back to CZ in Kansas City that had 12 lb pulls and they paid shipping both ways. Their policy is they will not lighten more than 7 lb.
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/23/13 06:22 PM
Larry, how did the trigger pulls feel on the other Dickinson's at Owatonna?

Jay
Posted By: sparkyflint Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/23/13 06:54 PM
Are they steel shot compatible? Looks like the barrels are chrome lined, but does anyone have confirmation?
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/23/13 07:21 PM
The ones on the 20 I tested were 7+. I checked the 12 and 16 at Owatonna by feel (didn't have my trigger pull gauge with me). In both cases, I could take the safety off and hang the guns by the front trigger on my trigger finger without having the hammer drop. I'd say they're about the same, right in the 7 to 8 pound range. Crisp but heavy. I realize that with shotguns, that's of more concern to some than others.

The information that came with the gun didn't say anything about steel compatibility. They have choke tubes which aren't marked as being steel safe, so hard to tell there. One concern I have is that they're nice and flush fit, but have no notches. The gun comes with a small friction wrench, but you don't get a real good purchase with it. If shooting steel were to make the chokes harder to remove, that might mean impossible with the tool provided. I'd certainly want to make sure I lubricated them every time if I were to use them with steel. And I might try first with just 2 or 3 rounds in each barrel to check the results.

When I checked the importer's website, the Dickinsons didn't even show up. They (Interstate Arms) import a wide variety of firearms. I don't know what kind of gunsmith support they'd provide. I know CZ has gunsmith support available, and that they will do work on guns that have problems.
Posted By: wburns Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 02/10/13 07:09 PM
Yesterday on my way home from Denver I stopped in at the Cabela's in Rapid City. They happened to have a darn nice 16ga so I snagged it. This one is on par with my S&W as far as fit and finish. It weighs 6lbs 6oz and has proper double triggers unlike GJW's. I will check trigger pulls once I find my gauge. from feeling the front is somewhere around 6lbs and the back around 4lbs. They are very crisp and the ejectors are well timed. Has among the nicest stock I have seen on one. Sorry for the poor pictures below, but all I have around this weekend is my phone camera.

Posted By: PA24 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 02/10/13 08:14 PM

Wade,

Very nice, especially the lumber and the right number of triggers....!.......Congratulations....

Best,
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 02/10/13 10:12 PM
Very nice wood for a Dickinson.
Posted By: Slowpokebill Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 02/11/13 03:37 AM
Best wood I've seen on a Dickinson, very nice indeed.
Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 02/11/13 02:01 PM
Nice. Any word on when the 28-bore guns will be here?

Adam
Posted By: wburns Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 02/11/13 05:57 PM
Thanks guys. No word yet on a 28. I will be surprised if they actually ever make one.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 02/11/13 06:38 PM
No offense to anyone on the Dickinsons, but Adam, if you don't have a 28ga Parker Repro, you should really look into one. They could be the best bang for the price range.
Posted By: wburns Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 02/11/13 07:45 PM
One reason I doubt they will make one; and if they do why I likely wont buy one, is that all three gauges offered are on the 20ga frame with the fences adjusted to the barrel size. If they make a 28, it will likely be on this action as well, and be to damn heavy IMO.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 02/11/13 09:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Chuck H
No offense to anyone on the Dickinsons, but Adam, if you don't have a 28ga Parker Repro, you should really look into one. They could be the best bang for the price range.

Chuck, I agree with you--except you're talking a very different price range, Parker Repro 28 vs Dickinson 28. Like 3x as much money (likely more than that, compared to a Dickinson at $1500) for a Repro 28.
Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 02/12/13 03:10 AM
I've heard the 28ga models are already built.... On a scaled frame, too. They should be shipping anytime now.

Adam
Posted By: wburns Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 02/12/13 01:53 PM
If they are in fact on a scaled frame I will have one in my safe. It would be a nice addition. I rarely ever shoot the one 28ga I have, but it would be fun just to shoot now and then.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 02/12/13 02:01 PM
Especially if we're talking a gun down around 6# or less, where a scaled frame 28ga ought to be, I hope they've done a better job on trigger pulls! The lighter the gun, the worse the effects of heavy triggers.
Posted By: GaryO Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 07/18/13 08:26 PM
Today I bought one of the few remaining guns from Cabelas. Mine is a 16 gauge, DT, 28" screw choked, English stocked beauty. And for $1600. Who else does that? There are several 12's and 20's left, but I would not drag my feet. I have not seen or heard about a 28 in this gun...
Posted By: Julio Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 07/20/13 03:21 PM
Is Cabela's discontinuing this line of guns? Any further word on whether a scaled frame 28 gauge will be offered?
Posted By: GaryO Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 07/21/13 03:10 PM
Any of you folks know where I can round up some additional choke tubes in 16 gauge? That has got to be challenging....Thanks.
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 07/21/13 04:45 PM
You're looking for something in between the C, IC, M and F provided? Have you patterned what you have?
Posted By: mngundog Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 08/18/13 04:47 AM
Cabelas sales flyer came out, the Dickenson is $1399, doesn't mention the gauge.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 08/18/13 01:26 PM
Available in 12-16-20.
Posted By: GaryO Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 08/18/13 03:35 PM
It appears that the guns for $1399 are fixed choke 12 gauges and the other gauges are still $1599 with choke tubes...
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 08/18/13 11:41 PM
I was at the Cabelas in Mitchell today. They had a couple 12s, a couple 20s, and one 16. I handled one of the 20s, but the bolt was stuck so tight that it wouldn't open even with more than reasonable force. The 16 on the other hand was real cooperative. Triggers broke crisply under the weight of the gun -- much better than mine before I had the trigger pulls lightened. And the ejector springs offered only a little resistance when closing -- also much better than mine was before I had them removed.

Jay
Posted By: GaryO Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 08/26/13 04:51 PM
Any of you folks had your shotguns refinished by Keith Kearcher in Oregon? I was considering having my Turkish Dickinson redone in oil by him. He is pretty reasonable ...thanks, Gary
Posted By: gjw Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 08/26/13 05:08 PM
Hi Gary, I've had Keith refinish a couple stocks for me, let's just say that it's not really his best efforts in the Gunsmithing field.

I have had Mark Larson do several stock enhancements and refinishing for me. I've been very happy with his work, in fact, his work is some of the best I've had in this area. If I want a stock refinished, for me he's the man.

Cost is fair and turn around is good also. Here's a link:

http://www.marklarsongunart.com/

Good Luck!!!!

Greg
Posted By: GaryO Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 08/26/13 05:11 PM
Thanks, Greg. I'll look into it.
Gary
Posted By: Replacement Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 08/26/13 07:32 PM
GaryO, check your PMs.
Posted By: GaryO Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/06/13 07:08 PM
Anyone know if these guns are made with "cast"? Thanks...
Posted By: RonS Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/07/14 05:00 AM
Just bought one of these a couple of days ago. 20 gauge, 28" barrels, double triggers. Been looking at them and thinking about it for a while. Stopped by the trap range on the way home and put a box of shells through it. Swapped to full and IM chokes. It was 25 degrees with a bit of a wind. Shot a 23 with a cold uncleaned gun and a cold body. Went home, tore it down, looked it over and cleaned it up.

Impressions: Very well struck barrels of platform lump construction, well done true color case hardening rather that case coloring, ejectors, well executed checkering, reasonable wood and just beautiful classic lines. As I was cleaning it up I noticed that even the ejectors were smooth as glass. That seems to be an area that rarely gets a fine finish let alone cleaned before most shotguns leave the factory. Overall I think this gun is more refined that the Beretta Silver Pigeon I shot right after I shot this one. I'm amazed that you can buy a shotgun like this in this price range. I think this is going to end up being one of my favorites. Now I'm tempted to pick up a 16 to keep it company.

To the last posters question about cast, this one has just a slight cast when measured with the eyeballs. Maybe 1/4 of an inch at most.
Posted By: PA24 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 01/08/14 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: RonS
Just bought one of these a couple of days ago. 20 gauge, 28" barrels, double triggers. Been looking at them and thinking about it for a while. Stopped by the trap range on the way home and put a box of shells through it. Swapped to full and IM chokes. It was 25 degrees with a bit of a wind. Shot a 23 with a cold uncleaned gun and a cold body. Went home, tore it down, looked it over and cleaned it up.

Impressions: Very well struck barrels of platform lump construction, well done true color case hardening rather that case coloring, ejectors, well executed checkering, reasonable wood and just beautiful classic lines. As I was cleaning it up I noticed that even the ejectors were smooth as glass. That seems to be an area that rarely gets a fine finish let alone cleaned before most shotguns leave the factory. Overall I think this gun is more refined that the Beretta Silver Pigeon I shot right after I shot this one. I'm amazed that you can buy a shotgun like this in this price range. I think this is going to end up being one of my favorites. Now I'm tempted to pick up a 16 to keep it company.

To the last posters question about cast, this one has just a slight cast when measured with the eyeballs. Maybe 1/4 of an inch at most.

Ron,

Smart buy, great guns in my opinion, far better than many at higher prices......fit and finish and overall quality is really good on these guns......you'll probably end up with another one or two..... smile.....Many of us did......

Welcome to the board.....

Posted By: sidelock 16 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/22/16 05:21 PM
Hi folks, new member here wishing everyone a merry Christmas & happy, healthy and prosperous New Year !
Thought I'd resurrect this old post with some questions re. the Diskinson Estate since I'm considering purchasing one.
L. Brown stated that the one he tested had about 8Lbs. pull on the front trigger and he had Mark Beasland pull the action on it and found there's not a lot of engagement between the sear and hammer which makes trigger work tricky and in another post, Lloyd3 commented that he got his Dickinson back from service from PISCO who adjusted the triggers to approx. 3 1/2 to 4 lbs.
So my question is how difficult and costly would it be to have the trigger pull adjusted on these guns by a qualified gun smith ?
How is the newer oil finished stock compared to the older gloss finish models ?
Has anyone ordered one with upgraded stock ?
Also if these guns are build on scaled frames as I have read, are these frames scaled for each and every gauge ? reason I'm asking is because I would like to know if it would be possible to order one with two sets of barrels, a 16 and 20 build on a 20 gauge frame.
Any advice or opinion would be greatly appreciated.
I would also be interested in knowing how these guns are holding out and if you are all still satisfied with them since some of you have owned them for a few years now.
Posted By: sidelock 16 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/23/16 12:01 AM
I thought there was quite a following of these guns, yet not a single reply to my post. Could this be an indication of discontent from the initial impression after having owened and used these guns for a few years ?
Posted By: canvasback Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/23/16 12:08 AM
Sidelock, I don't think you have given it enough time to draw conclusions. Also, the last poster before you, PA24, who made numerous posts on this particular thread, is no longer with us and thus unable to respond. I know he would have by now.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/23/16 12:12 AM
Sidelock, I don't think you have given it enough time to draw conclusions. Also, the last poster before you, PA24, who made numerous posts on this particular thread, is no longer with us and thus unable to respond. I know he would have by now.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/23/16 01:18 AM
Give us a few minutes, new member, to get in from work (some of us still do grin). Since I'm in, and since I have been shooting a Dickinson for two seasons now, I'll respond. See the current thread about an AyA .410 S x S for pics of my Dickinson.

Triggers ........ I think they have gotten that issue straightened out. I bought mine about 15 months ago and they're perfect. I'm pretty particular about my shotgun triggers, being an old pistol and rifle competitor. My buddy, PA 24, who passed over last spring, had a little problem with hard triggers, AIR, but those were very early guns. Reports on the later ones have been good.

Mine has been all that I wanted it to be. I am very pleased, and would buy it again knowing what I know about it. Ejectors are very strong, requiring a bit of effort to cock when closing the gun, but not objectionable to me.

The pics in the other thread I referenced will show the newer stock finish.

SRH
Posted By: sidelock 16 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/23/16 01:43 AM
Originally Posted By: canvasback

Very sorry to hear that may he RIP.
Posted By: sidelock 16 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/23/16 01:47 AM
Thanks Stan, sorry for coming across as being a little impatient but I'm sure we all know how anxious it can be when wanting to pull the trigger on a new gun.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/23/16 02:06 AM
Sidelock, you are somewhat new here and the names in this thread probably don't mean much to you, as in should you be taking their advice

I'll just say that if I was in the market for a new SxS, what I have heard from people like Stan and PA24 and a number of others on this thread means I wouldn't bother shopping around much....I'd just go buy a Dickinson.
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/23/16 06:16 AM

I had a very positive experience ordering a 20ga. Estate Directly from Dickinson in LA. You can specify virtually everything from muzzle to butt at no additional cost. I went for the cheap $300 wood upgrade, and was very impressed with what I got. I ordered it with choke tubes, 30" barrels, schnable for end, double triggers,ejectors, stock to my length and checkered butt plate. You have choices in all of these specifications.

They said it would take about four months to get, but I received it in two. I don't know of another gun that you can custom order for $2K. The gun has the look of a much more expensive gun.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/23/16 06:20 AM
Sidelock: My Dickinson is winging its way to Pennsylvania as we speak. For the money, I'm not sure anything comes close at the moment for value in a modern SXS. I shot it off and on all fall and have no complaints. However, my 28 is based on the .410 frame. The bigger-framed guns seem a bit heavy for my tastes.

The world's smallest pet&shoot hen pheasant:

Canvasback: Please send a few of those nice lake-run steelheads down to the southern shores of Lake Erie for me for next week. Good fishing weather would be nice as well, otherwise I'll be stuck in a small house full of pre-teens (the drama is endless). Whitetail deer w/a .50 caliber smokepole, snowshoe hares, and more Bonasa Umbellis w/my 28 Dickinson are on my dance list as well. Ted: this was the last day of Grousmass 2016.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/23/16 11:10 AM
Lloyd, I'll do what I can. Lol

Boxing Day is looking rainy and quite warm but a heads up.....its been an extremely windy Dec here on the north shore of Lake Ontario. Take care if you are venturing out on the big lake in a boat.

Sounds like the pre-teens are girls. Mine is a boy and life remains quite simple! Haha!

Edit to add: forgot to mention.....all the big lakes are especially warm this year. So, if the weather is cool, expect lots of lake effects snow.
Posted By: sidelock 16 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/23/16 04:47 PM
Originally Posted By: HWK

I had a very positive experience ordering a 20ga. Estate Directly from Dickinson in LA. You can specify virtually everything from muzzle to butt at no additional cost. I went for the cheap $300 wood upgrade, and was very impressed with what I got. I ordered it with choke tubes, 30" barrels, schnable for end, double triggers,ejectors, stock to my length and checkered butt plate. You have choices in all of these specifications.

They said it would take about four months to get, but I received it in two. I don't know of another gun that you can custom order for $2K. The gun has the look of a much more expensive gun.

Any chance of posting a picture of the upgraded wood ?
Posted By: sidelock 16 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/23/16 04:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
Sidelock: My Dickinson is winging its way to Pennsylvania as we speak. For the money, I'm not sure anything comes close at the moment for value in a modern SXS. I shot it off and on all fall and have no complaints. However, my 28 is based on the .410 frame. The bigger-framed guns seem a bit heavy for my tastes.

The world's smallest pet&shoot hen pheasant:

Canvasback: Please send a few of those nice lake-run steelheads down to the southern shores of Lake Erie for me for next week. Good fishing weather would be nice as well, otherwise I'll be stuck in a small house full of pre-teens (the drama is endless). Whitetail deer w/a .50 caliber smokepole, snowshoe hares, and more Bonasa Umbellis w/my 28 Dickinson are on my dance list as well. Ted: this was the last day of Grousmass 2016.

Are the two barrel combo sets, 28/410ga. and 20/28ga. build on the smaller gauge frame of the two or do you have to order them that way.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/23/16 05:05 PM
These look like 20ga Turkish-made S&Ws that LGS closed out few years ago at about $1100 per gun. That represented excellent value for the money spent. These must have been put together at same state of the art factory as them S&W imports. I can see why Turks have replaced Northern Spaniards as makers of very good entry level game guns. It looks like they arrived by being able to mass-produce high quality double guns.

I would bet the same company makes the new "Webley 700 series" once sold on the English market. I don't know they may still be sold there.
Posted By: keith Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/23/16 05:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
These look like 20ga Turkish-made S&Ws that LGS closed out few years ago at about $1100 per gun. That represented excellent value for the money spent.

How would you know Jagermeister? You do not even own any double shotguns. Can you tell how good a car is just by looking at it and kicking the tires? Now, if you were giving advice on toy stuffed animals, I'd be inclined to take notice of what you had to say since you showed us your impressive collection of Beanie Babies. But I can't understand what motivates you to pretend to know something about guns that, at best, you may have drooled over in your local gun shop.
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/23/16 05:27 PM
Originally Posted By: sidelock 16

Are the two barrel combo sets, 28/410ga. and 20/28ga. build on the smaller gauge frame of the two or do you have to order them that way.

The 28/.410 sets are built on a very diminutive frame, some have said they're built on a 28-ga. frame, but I'll say they're built on a .410 frame. The 20/28-ga. sets are built on a 20-ga. frame.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/23/16 05:35 PM
Originally Posted By: keith
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
These look like 20ga Turkish-made S&Ws that LGS closed out few years ago at about $1100 per gun. That represented excellent value for the money spent.

How would you know Jagermeister? You do not even own any double shotguns. Can you tell how good a car is just by looking at it and kicking the tires? Now, if you were giving advice on toy stuffed animals, I'd be inclined to take notice of what you had to say since you showed us your impressive collection of Beanie Babies. But I can't understand what motivates you to pretend to know something about guns that, at best, you may have drooled over in your local gun shop.

They also make excellent wool rugs, pomegranate juice, fig preserves and leather goods. Happy holidays and successful new year to you and your family.
Posted By: gold40 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/23/16 09:33 PM

Pleased with my 12 gauge Dickinson...

Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 12/25/16 03:52 AM
Somebody was asking earlier about cast on these guns. This one is slightly off w/only minimal toe twist but....the action is so petite that I shoot it just fine as a southpaw. The triggers are set dead neutral and are fairly broad, making them quite ambidextrous. What I really like about these guns (besides the good build quality and great price) are the adult dimensions (14 3/4 LOP w/28-inch tubes) and great weight (this one is 5lbs5 w/the 28 gauge tubes).

Posted By: sidelock 16 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 10/27/17 10:08 PM
Do these guns have chopper lump barrels and articulated front trigger ?
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 10/27/17 10:31 PM
Do these guns have chopper lump barrels and articulated front trigger ?

They have platform lump barrels and the DT guns are not articulated.
Posted By: sidelock 16 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 10/28/17 02:11 AM
Can you discribe the difference between chopper lump and platform Lump ?
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 10/28/17 02:43 AM
Thanks...utterly confused by insideriness,
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 10/28/17 11:13 AM
Can you describe the difference between chopper lump and platform Lump ?

I can, but it is much easier for you to look at pictures and descriptions on Hallowell's.

Don't look for platform lump, look for shoe lump ......same thing.

http://www.hallowellco.com/abbrevia.htm#S

SRH
Posted By: sidelock 16 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 10/28/17 05:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan
Can you describe the difference between chopper lump and platform Lump ?

I can, but it is much easier for you to look at pictures and descriptions on Hallowell's.

Don't look for platform lump, look for shoe lump ......same thing.

http://www.hallowellco.com/abbrevia.htm#S

Thank you for providing the educational link, much obliged.
I gave up trying to make any sense of Argo44's reply !

SRH
Posted By: gunmaker Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 10/30/17 03:34 AM
These have piqued my interest. Would be a great "everyday" gun to give the vintage guns a rest.
Posted By: TMair Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 10/30/17 04:24 AM
Originally Posted By: gunmaker
These have piqued my interest. Would be a great "everyday" gun to give the vintage guns a rest.

I guess that is a matter of perspective depending on how/where you were raised, 2000$$ is still a lot of money to me, my Dickinson 20 Ga. Gets the same respect my vintage guns get.

Then again it gets more respect than my Beretta 686 SP too.

TM
Posted By: gold40 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 10/30/17 02:20 PM
"...These have piqued my interest. Would be a great "everyday" gun to give the vintage guns a rest..."

I like to hunt with my vintage SxS's, but I also shoot a lot of Sporting Clays during the year. I use the Dickinson for the clay games, and that significantly decreases the number of rounds fired through my century old SxS's. If something does break or wear out, the Dickinson is in warranty, and parts are easy to obtain.

gold40
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Cabela's Dickinson SxS Question - 10/30/17 05:53 PM
Gold 40 hits it on the head.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com