doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: KWill GECO shotgun - 11/02/12 10:27 PM
Does anyone know the story behind GECO shotguns. I have come across a couple side by sides, one Belgium and one German with the GECO logo over the barrels. Both are marked on the right barrel, just above the receiver "Import". Any good books or web sites to give a history on GECO?
Posted By: KWill Re: GECO shotgun - 11/02/12 10:29 PM
The belgium looks identical to this gun, but there are no marking of it being FN.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/FN-SXS-BLE-16-GA.cfm?gun_id=100192188
Posted By: postoak Re: GECO shotgun - 11/02/12 10:48 PM
GECO is short for Gustav Genschow & Co, they formerly retailed all sorts of hunting and shooting gear. Much like Orvis does today and sold guns marked with GECO that were sourced from other makers. I have seen them with German, Belgian, and Italian proof marks.

Ammuntion is still sold under the GECO name today.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: GECO shotgun - 11/02/12 10:50 PM
What's the verbiage on the floorplate?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: KWill Re: GECO shotgun - 11/03/12 02:13 AM
The floor plate on the gun from the link or on the GECO I am looking at for me?

KWILL
Posted By: skeettx Re: GECO shotgun - 11/03/12 02:16 AM
My GECO

Mike
Posted By: gil russell Re: GECO shotgun - 11/03/12 02:32 AM
That one is, of course, from Liege. Most of the ones I have had are German, either Sauer or Simson. Tend to be very plain but well made. Every one has had sling swivels. I doubt you could wear one out by shooting it. I would guess the ones from Belgium are well made too.
Posted By: King Brown Re: GECO shotgun - 11/03/12 12:27 PM
Here's a long shot. Memory is shaky but I think I met in Moscow in 1967 a Canadian distributer of firearms who owned or worked for GECO. Perhaps from Alberta.
Posted By: Saad Re: GECO shotgun - 11/05/12 10:18 AM
Was Gustav Genschow & Co a German firm?
Posted By: Humpty Dumpty Re: GECO shotgun - 11/05/12 04:26 PM
As far as I know, they had a huge mail-order business, selling not only guns, but other mechanical merchandize like sewing machines, bicycles, etc. Yes, they're German. Before 1939, they sent goods to any point on the planet (including USSR). They were located in what became West Germany after WWII, and most of their firearms suppliers were in the East, they had to quit this line, (although one forum member mentioned seeing post WWII police handguns marked GECO.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com