doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Toby Barclay Another interesting BLE - 10/29/12 08:22 PM
With all the fresh interest in A&D boxlocks brought on by Dig's new book, I thought this might be of interest to some.

On the surface, a nice but main stream damascus barrelled BLE with nice engraving, interesting fences and interceptor sears.
However take a closer look and you find a very unusual feature: a grip safety more often found on muzzleloaders and early breechloading hammerguns!

Look a little further and another unusual feature comes to light: a selectable ejector mechanism!

During restoration I looked very closely to see if there was evidence of a conversion from normal top tang safety and there is none. The grip safety appears to be totally original.
The ejector selector may be a later modification but the selector itself appears to be a proprietory mechanism. It uses a slide to intercept the tumblers in a standard Deeley ejector box.
The 'Eject' and 'Retain' were originally gold inlaid but due the thinness of the metal not enough undercut was possible and it had nearly all gone by the time I got my hands on it.
Enjoy!
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Another interesting BLE - 10/29/12 08:32 PM
Very cool.

The engraving is mind-blowing....

Could you post more pictures to better show the safety mechanism? I'm not getting it from those already up.
Posted By: Vic Venters Re: Another interesting BLE - 10/29/12 09:25 PM
Really neat gun, Toby. Worth an article somewhere. Do you have pics of the inner bits?
Posted By: Nick. C Re: Another interesting BLE - 10/29/12 09:29 PM
That's a beautiful gun.
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: Another interesting BLE - 10/29/12 09:49 PM
More pics and more details please. smile
Posted By: MattH Re: Another interesting BLE - 10/29/12 10:44 PM
Very nice Toby!
Posted By: old colonel Re: Another interesting BLE - 10/29/12 10:59 PM
Lovely gun, though I must admit an AD BLE needs more curve to them and some AD feel almost boxy or slab sided.

I imagine that is why I love Greener Facile Princep as it has a rounded action.
Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: Another interesting BLE - 10/30/12 12:01 AM
Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Adam
Posted By: Toby Barclay Re: Another interesting BLE - 11/01/12 07:03 PM
I will be stripping this gun shortly so will photo the mechanism then and post.
J.R.B
There are a few more pics and more details on my website link http://www.heritageguns.co.uk/Russell%20BLE/Russell%20BLE%20Details.htm
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: Another interesting BLE - 11/01/12 09:49 PM
Thank you Toby.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Another interesting BLE - 11/02/12 03:38 PM
Toby,
Another ridiculously COOL gun. Thanks for sharing. That gun has a wide range of unique things going on with it. It's something that Dan Lefever would've/should've dreamt up, only thing missing from that innovative gun is a ball and socket hinge joint! Very anxious to spy the guts on this gun, have a feeling it's going to be a treat.

Dustin
Posted By: gil russell Re: Another interesting BLE - 11/02/12 05:54 PM
Surely there would be a discount offered for the maker's great-great- grand nephew! What an interesting gun.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com