doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: capt. frank Stevens Ranger questions - 10/05/12 01:24 PM
Has anyone ever seen a Stevens Ranger, side by side with a single trigger? How rare are they, and what would one be worth in good to very good condition? Thanks in advance for information.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Stevens Ranger questions - 10/05/12 01:28 PM
I'm sure they are quite scarce, but value would depend on whether a shooter would trust a single trigger in a $17.00 shotgun. I would prefer the double triggers on my Ranger.
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: Stevens Ranger questions - 10/05/12 01:55 PM
Stevens offered a single trigger as an option, I've seen two guns with it on them. I don't think it would really make it super valuable as it's still a Stevens Ranger. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't take a million bucks for my Dad's Stevens 311, but they really don't have much value.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Stevens Ranger questions - 10/05/12 08:25 PM
Would depend on gauge (more for anything smaller than 12, a lot more for a .410), condition of course, and which model Stevens. The Model 530, for example, I think was a step or so up from a 311. My 1940 Shooters Bible even lists it with a Jostam recoil pad as standard. Single trigger cost an extra $3.35 back then. Not sure which Stevens doubles were sold as Rangers by Sears, and for how long.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Stevens Ranger questions - 10/05/12 09:33 PM
I believe the Ranger was a Montgomery Ward marketed Stevens Model 5000 or 5100.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Stevens Ranger questions - 10/05/12 11:46 PM
RANGER was a Sears, Roebuck & Co. brand. This RANGER built by the J. Stevens Arms Co. on their G.S. Lewis Patent No. 1,136,247, granted April 20, 1915, action with a single trigger has been on Gunsinternational.com for a long time --

J. Stevens Arms Co. began offering a non-selective single trigger on their G.S. Lewis action guns (Stevens No. 330, Springfield No. 315 and No. 311) about 1932. J. Sevens Arms Co. began phasing in the new 5000/5100 action in 1936, when the Stevens No. 530 replaced the No. 330, and the Springfield No. 515 replaced the No. 315, and they introduced their short-lived No. 500 Skeet Gun --

Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Stevens Ranger questions - 10/06/12 12:55 AM
When you mentioned a Single trigger on a Ranger, I first thought, well they put single triggers in the Fox Model B and that was essentially the same as a Stevens 311/5100. So I thought it must be the same mechanism.

However, the photo shown above and the advertisement shows not the Stevens 311/5100, but the Stevens 315 which is a completely different frame and mechanism all together. The 315 uses Coil spring loaded firing pins with hook type sears.

I can't say that I have ever seen one of the 315 mechanisms with a single trigger. A rare find indeed. And it is nice to see the ad to back it up. I would be curious to see the mechanism that makes it all work.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Stevens Ranger questions - 10/06/12 10:05 PM
From a 1933 J. Stevens Arms Co. illustrated wholesale price list --

Right in that same Great Depression time frame that J. Stevens Arms Co. began offering a non-selective single trigger on their Stevens and Springfield doubles, Ithaca Gun Co. began offering a low priced non-selective single trigger on all their doubles, Ithaca, Lefever, and Western Arms. Also, Savage Arms Corp. that owned J. Stevens Arms Co., briefly offered a non-selective single trigger on their A.H. Fox doubles in their 1933 and 1934 catalogues and price lists. The Fox Model B was introduced in 1940 as a double trigger plain extractor gun, which did share many internal parts with the Stevens No. 530. However, the Model B wasn't offered with a non-selective single trigger until the 1955 Savage/Stevens/Fox catalogue.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com