doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: smlekid T & H King Gunmaker Birmingham - 09/23/12 05:16 AM
I recently picked up this T & H King BLE its a nice gun nothing special just an honest example I'm guessing '30's built
Does anyone recognise the action? I thought Midland gun company maybe
any other Kings out there?
sorry for the crappy photos I'm not much of a photographer
Posted By: gunman Re: T & H King Gunmaker Birmingham - 09/23/12 09:03 AM
I met the late Mr. Harold King in the late 70's . He was an elderly man then and was a figure of much respect in the Birmingham trade . He had a shop in Wisemans building in Price Street . Mr King as I always called him ,had been the last manager/foreman of the Midland Gun co . I was told this by a man I had worked under as a apprentice ,whos family the Kelly brothers, had worked for and had workshops in the old Midland factory prior to 1939 . { these were classed as "jobbers" men who had workshop space in another's building ,who did work for that person as part of their lease agreement as well as work for themselves }I was told that the King's made guns under their own name that went largely for export .Like many Birmingham gunmen guns were made in small quantity under the name of the actual maker for private customers or for the overseas market .As a result it is very rare to see a gun signed by King or Kelly in the UK but these people made many guns bearing the names of other better known companies .
Posted By: lagopus Re: T & H King Gunmaker Birmingham - 09/23/12 10:52 AM
A nice looking boxlock and very 'Midland' in style. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: T & H King Gunmaker Birmingham - 09/23/12 10:56 AM
Very nice example of a good, well-made Brummager
Posted By: Nick. C Re: T & H King Gunmaker Birmingham - 09/23/12 01:47 PM
I really like the stock. Lovely figuring. I wouldn't be able to leave it in a shop if I saw it.
Posted By: smlekid Re: T & H King Gunmaker Birmingham - 09/23/12 08:44 PM
Originally Posted By: El Garro
I really like the stock. Lovely figuring. I wouldn't be able to leave it in a shop if I saw it.

Its the first thing I saw to it was offered for sale on the internet
thanks for the replies everyone
Posted By: fallingblock Re: T & H King Gunmaker Birmingham - 09/23/12 10:58 PM
Harold was a friend and I have three of his guns. Almost all of his guns were made for export to OZ and New Zealand. He told me got out of the exporting when he he had to engrave a batch of guns when his engraver was not able to do the work. Who ever they were shipped to was very happy with them but Harold was not interested in engraving. As I remember this was some time in the early 1950's Only one of my King guns has a date stamp from the proof house and that is a bout 20 numbers prior to yours and it is for 1950.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com