doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: chopperlump Pinless double frames - 07/02/12 09:07 PM
Maybe I'm just old and stupid but I still cannot figure out how they machined hinge pins integral with the frames, Webly Scott 700's, Westley Richards, SKB, etc CHOPPER
Posted By: SKB Re: Pinless double frames - 07/02/12 09:13 PM
the action was turned on a rotary table type setup against a cutter similar to a key way cutter.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Pinless double frames - 07/02/12 10:50 PM
Can someone post a pic? I haven't seen any of the above.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Pinless double frames - 07/03/12 01:16 AM
Originally Posted By: SKB
the action was turned on a rotary table type setup against a cutter similar to a key way cutter.

How did you drive that cutter? If it had a shank on it, it would not have gone past the action flats, betwen the bars to get far enough around to complete the cut. Me'thinks we're going to have to come up with another method.
Posted By: SKB Re: Pinless double frames - 07/03/12 01:25 AM
A broach can be used to finish the cut, like Mr, Gera is doing on the male section of "the circle" on this action....

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....e=0&fpart=2

But in my shop I would use a keyway cutter to get most of it out.

By the way, I hate fixed pins.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Pinless double frames - 07/03/12 02:39 AM
Isn't "fixed pin" a bit of a misnomer? Should it not be more accurately named a "pinless hinge" or a "frame hinge?"
Posted By: chopperlump Re: Pinless double frames - 07/05/12 06:03 PM
I'm with Chuck. Still a mystery to me. Chops
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Pinless double frames - 07/05/12 10:48 PM
I don't believe it is a "pinless" frame, it is likely a "fixed" pin which is nonremovable using common tools( usually an interferance fit,pressed in). To be replaced,such pins have to be drilled out.Some O/U don't have pins,instead have hinge lugs. The Franz Jaeger Patent doubles have two lugs milled with a hollow cutter and covered with a plate. Maybe Raimey or Axel can come up with patent drawings.
Mike
Posted By: eightbore Re: Pinless double frames - 07/05/12 10:50 PM
In my opinion, it's an accident that has already happened, like grease joints in a car that can't be lubricated.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Pinless double frames - 07/06/12 01:18 PM
Are you talking grease zerks, eightbore? That's where we put the grease when I worked in a service station and cars still had them.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Pinless double frames - 07/06/12 04:47 PM
Don't know about other makes, but newer GM and Dodge trucks now have unit bearings on the front end. You can't pack the wheel bearings because they are "lubed for life." Problem is that life is shorter than that of the rest of the truck. Cheap to build but expensive to fix.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com