doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: old colonel Leg o' Mutton Case - 03/18/12 03:45 AM
How many out there actualy use leg of mutton case to store and or transport their double gun?

I have several because the look appealed to me but when I fly its heavy aluminum and foam, and in my truck it's a carpeted gun box. i see the Huey case, which are awesome, but I am unsure I would use it to transport the gun
Posted By: PA24 Re: Leg o' Mutton Case - 03/18/12 03:05 PM
I never use LOM cases........

Unless wrapped in towels, the barrels and wood usually move around a bit and you end up with rub marks......JMO

I think people buy them just for the 'look' and not the efficiency......
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: Leg o' Mutton Case - 03/19/12 02:18 PM
I have 3 or 4. I like the look and used to use them, but found they are simply too much trouble in the field.
Posted By: wingshooter16 Re: Leg o' Mutton Case - 03/20/12 04:45 AM
I brought in two Manufrance period cases from Paris to house my and my friend's Ideals. I use them and a Roosevelt/Drake buffalo hide LOM for vehicle transport to the field, then switch to a softcase after the gun is assembled for transport during hunting.
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Leg o' Mutton Case - 03/20/12 07:34 AM
I put my hammer gun in an old but rigid LOM case and chucked it on the plane to South Africa and on to Botswana. Arrived all in good shape.

In London.I strap an old LOM case to the back of my Harley and deliver guns to gunmakers and clients all over and around the city.

I love them. they are discreet, cool and cheap.

They are for transporting guns, not for use in the field as an alternative to a gun slip.
Posted By: Montana Re: Leg o' Mutton Case - 03/20/12 03:34 PM
An airplane may be an extreme case (get it?) but I love using my old LOM cases for transport. Even the more modern ones isolate the components well and I've not noticed any difficulties with rubbing marks. I've had some friends who like their gun slips in this configuration between drives...
Posted By: Dr. P Re: Leg o' Mutton Case - 03/21/12 12:32 AM
I have 3 LOMs which I have restored and one that I had made made to order. Great for transport in a car trunk with other luggage or for a bit of discretion when taking a gun through a public place such as our monthly Vintager dinner in the back private room of a local pub.

I found the key to piece of mind when using them to transport fine guns is to use the short gun sock sets sold by CSMC or those that are provided by companies like AYA with new gun purchases. I had the new one I ordered lined with leather rather than felt as the felt gets worn and tattered quickly and the soft sock sets provide the rub protection you need.

Dr. P
Posted By: Montana Re: Leg o' Mutton Case - 03/21/12 12:21 PM
Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Leg o' Mutton Case - 03/21/12 01:48 PM
Love 'em. They're practical, classy, and compact. Downsides are most on the market are fairly old and the leather has deteoriated to varying degrees. I've had to repair most of mine. Fortunately I do my own leather work--many leather shops won't work on them.
Posted By: Doverham Re: Leg o' Mutton Case - 03/21/12 02:12 PM
Can't imagine too many guns would complain about being carried aroud in one of these:

Cochrane
Posted By: meslowc Re: Leg o' Mutton Case - 03/22/12 06:42 PM
Just a personal experience with a leg-o-mutton case. Year 1972, the case was from Herters and held a Browning superposed 20. I was loading a chevy 1/2 ton to go chukar hunting in E OR. As I neared completion of loading I leaned the case up on the rear bumper because I got distracted by something (phone call maybe). Finished with the distraction I got in the truck and started backing out the drive. Felt the right rear wheel run over something. Stop. Just forward of the wheel was a freshly scuffed leg-o-mutton case. Thoughts at the time "please let it only be stock damage." Opened the case. No damage to the Browning visible. Went hunting and apparently no damage to barrels as I shot as well (or poorly) as previously. Lesson - never lean anything against a vehicle!!!
Chuck
Posted By: Researcher Re: Leg o' Mutton Case - 03/22/12 07:07 PM
Leg o' Mutton cases were built to a lot of different price points over the years. Some weren't much good when new!! The Red Head, A.F.&Co. and Brauer are usually pretty good. Those by H.H. Heiser are the cream of the crop.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com