doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Custom Winchester 21 - 02/28/12 05:47 PM
I thought of adding this to Mr. Lister's fine post on the Model 21 he engraved for a client, but didn't want to hijack. I had always wanted engraver and friend, Sam Welch, to do a gun for me. Some decades ago I found a Winchester 21 , 16 ga. , Skeet grade at a gun show. It seemed to be the perfect canvas for Sam to engrave. I wanted oak leaves, some small gold birds, etc and I asked Sam to round off the "bolsters" [is that the right word] on the sides of the frame. I had always thought the Winchester shaping of these was not the best. Here are a couple of pictures. Sorry my first picture is a bit fuzzy, but you can see the detail in the larger than lifesize second picture.

Posted By: bbman3 Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 02/28/12 08:00 PM
Daryl,That is a great looking 21.Looks like live quail! Bobby
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 02/28/12 08:19 PM
IMO, Sam's A-OK!
It looks even better in the sunlight...
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 02/28/12 08:30 PM
Those quail are FINE!
Posted By: C. Roger Bleile Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 02/28/12 08:30 PM
You've got a sweet 21 there Daryl. Sam is another of America's best! He won the first Engraver's Choice Award from FEGA for work on an L.C.Smith and has won many times since.

RB
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 02/28/12 08:45 PM
Roger, I remember the L.C. Smith Sam had. It had either a Springer or Brit in beautiful motion. I love those animals in motion, much as I would like a western painting of horses in movement.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 02/28/12 09:35 PM
Those quail are really nice. I would like to see other views of the gun. Sam Welsh has quite a reputation going back a few years.
Posted By: Dick_dup1 Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 02/29/12 01:40 PM
Very very nice, tasteful engraving.
Sam has a good reputation.-Dick
Posted By: Terry Buffum Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 03/01/12 03:13 PM
Daryl, please post a couple of other views so we can drool on our keyboards since your gun is out of reach.

Thanks!
Posted By: Jamie H Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 03/01/12 03:57 PM
Beautiful! More pics would be great!
Posted By: Doverham Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 03/01/12 04:09 PM
I am one of those people who scratches their head a bit over M21s, but that gun would make me a convert. Carry it with pride where-ever you go!
Posted By: Montana Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 03/01/12 04:13 PM
+1,000

Second on asking for even more images, please.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 03/01/12 04:18 PM
Here are a few more pictures I snapped this a.m. As I rembember, the heel and toe plates were made by Ralph Bone. The last photo is of the pheasant on the left. It is from a favorite painting, called The Thornbird, by the late wildlife artist, Vivi Crandall. I knew it would be a bit difficult to do with part of the head and neck profile backed by the background of the bird's back. It turned out fine, as you can see in the picture about 4 times the size of the actual inlay.

Posted By: Montana Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 03/01/12 04:22 PM
First time I've ever wanted to own one. Thanks a lot.
Posted By: Terry Buffum Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 03/01/12 09:42 PM
Wow! Had I seen these photos or your gun four years ago, I would have gone forward with a custom rebuild on the 21 I had. It was a very early one, serial #22, and already refinished, so it would have been a good foundation to build upon. You know the "Clunker" Lefever Optimus I had restored instead; the 21 about 2/3 covered the total costs.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 03/01/12 09:43 PM
I bet when Daryl shows up somewhere with that gun people remember him!

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 03/01/12 11:20 PM
Mike, I guess a few might remember me for the gun, but when I tell them I know you, they never forget me.

Terry, it was a fun project and I know you'd have done a great job with your worn 21. I think I did this project about 20 years ago, maybe a bit longer. Things are different nowadays. Here is a history.

Bought the stock blank in the early 70s-----------Cost $19.00

Model 21 bought at a small gun show north of Anchorage. I knew the price was cheap and cringed when the seller came after me when I was walking away. "You forgot the case" he said. It was a Winchester leg of mutton case made for the gun. Cost--$1100

A fellow, whose name escapes me at the moment[later it was Mark Deprez] did the stocks, including checkering and the inletting of the heel and toe plates. ----------------------approx. Cost of stocking--$700.00

Cost to purchase heel and toe plates------------$70.00

Abe Chaber blued the barrels and receiver and furniture. I can't remember for sure, but Cost approx. ------$300.00

Engraving by Sam Welch.--I actually cannot remember, but I know I got more than he charged me------Cost----It doesn't matter.
Posted By: steve white Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 03/01/12 11:47 PM
Man...those quail are NICE
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 03/01/12 11:54 PM
Dang, be still my heart! Even though it's missing a trigger I still like it!
Steve
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 03/02/12 12:31 AM
Doverham, Montana, and maybe Terry, and let's include others, I never liked the Model 21s in the same fashion as the lovers of these guns did. I thought the lines a bit clumbsy and the total look seemed less quality than the "other" and earlier American classics. My thought when I started the project was that I wanted a gun , a custom gun, for Sam Welch to engrave. I only had knowlege of American guns at that time and could not think of another maker's gun that might at least hold it's own value if it was made into a custom gun. Knowing , or at least hearing of the operating qualities of the 21 made me consider it. The rather gawkey lines that it had in it's basic form made me dream of how I would change it to my [not everyones] taste. I do like the look of the Fox bolsters and I think Sam made the Model 21 bolsters look much the same. I wish you all could have the special gun of your desires and hold it at intervals. I see it and think of it often. There are a few more stories on the gun, but I think this is enough for all of you.
Posted By: RHD45 Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 03/02/12 01:00 AM
Sorta makes the factory engraved 21's look sort of mass produced.
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 03/02/12 03:07 AM
Sam's work is beautiful. Daryl, I also really like the style of your initials on the trigger guard. Is this your design, or Sam's?

Jay
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 03/02/12 11:36 AM
Charlie, the initials were Sam's design.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 03/02/12 02:08 PM
RHD45 I appreciate your comment, but we should not be too hard on factory guns. Here's one by the Winchester Custom Shop. They comissioned Sam Welch to do this one.

Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 03/04/12 01:57 PM
Here's a photo of the pheasant before the receiver was blued. More detail shows without the blue.

Posted By: RHD45 Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 03/04/12 02:24 PM
I always thought the factory 21's engraving was "bare bones" as far as the scroll work was concerned. They didn't develop it as far as they might have and it looks incomplete to my eye.The one they had Sam Welch do is a quantum leap forward for sure.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 03/04/12 03:08 PM
RHD45, I agree.
Posted By: C. Roger Bleile Re: Custom Winchester 21 - 03/05/12 03:33 AM
Originally Posted By: RHD45
I always thought the factory 21's engraving was "bare bones" as far as the scroll work was concerned. They didn't develop it as far as they might have and it looks incomplete to my eye.The one they had Sam Welch do is a quantum leap forward for sure.

RDH45,

You have a good eye for the quality of scrollwork!

Roger
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com