doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: patrickwall Merkel 200 or 200E? - 02/19/12 10:18 AM
I just purchased the below Merkel - I believe it's a 200 - w/o ejectors. Looking at it and shooting it, the extractors did just that - they did not eject the shells. Is there a 200, that's not a 200E. It was made in Feb 1962 w/East German proof marks. I heard that pre-Berlin Wall guns were better made - any info on that? I'm familiar with the proof marks, but would appreciate any info on the circle stamp with a line/1 going through it in photo three and any info on the marks in photo four. Any idea of the value in this shape?
I appreciate any info on this gun.

Thanks

Can anyone tell me what the circle with the line/1 going thtough it means?

Can anyone tell me what the marks in the above photo mean?

Posted By: JayCee Re: Merkel 200 or 200E? - 02/19/12 01:11 PM
Hello Patrick,

I'd say it is a 200 (no E).

Some time ago Raimey told me this proof mark meant special/higher quality:

This one is on a Simson sxs 16 bore I have.

JC
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Merkel 200 or 200E? - 02/19/12 03:13 PM
JC is spot on and it is an Outstanding Quality touchmark used from say 1950 to the early 1970s. You have a proof date of February 1961 and note the Weichlot stamp, adjacent to the GM in a shield, which notes a tube joining method patented by Brothers Merkel:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post162485

I'd like to see if there are any initials on the tubes? Maybe just above the GM in a shield

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: patrickwall Re: Merkel 200 or 200E? - 02/19/12 10:49 PM
Raimey,

Above the GM shield is simply the number 12 - I assumed to note that it's a 12 bore. See picture below. To the left and right of the GM shield are the words BOHLER and STAHL - what do these mean?

Does Gebruder mean brother?

Posted By: ellenbr Re: Merkel 200 or 200E? - 02/20/12 04:02 AM
Yeah, I'd say 12 for 12 bore. Böhler stahl means Boehler steel: http://www.bohlersteel.com/ . And yes Gebrüder translates to Brother(s).

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com