doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: James M Now This is Different - 02/16/12 08:51 PM
I've had this T Barker double for quite some time. Please note that the barrels are octagonal for about the first 6 inches!
Jim

Posted By: Sam Ogle Re: Now This is Different - 02/16/12 09:31 PM
Very Interesting.

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Now This is Different - 02/16/12 11:06 PM
What do the proof-marks say?
Mike
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Now This is Different - 02/16/12 11:30 PM
I saw a similar T. Barker at a small gunshop in Illinois a few years ago. I don't remember what they were asking for it.
Steve
Posted By: James M Re: Now This is Different - 02/17/12 12:18 AM
Here's the bulk of the information on the barrel flats:
The 2nd picture is the water table.
Jim

Posted By: Julio Re: Now This is Different - 02/17/12 01:58 AM
Is that a Belgian gun? It sure would look cool if the octagonal barrels went all the way to the muzzles. Come to think of it, I've never seen a double with octagonal barrels. Did anyone ever make one in the breach loading era?
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Now This is Different - 02/17/12 01:59 AM
Never seen one. Belgium barrels ELG i believe. Bobby
Posted By: Clif W. Re: Now This is Different - 02/17/12 03:05 AM

No offense Jim but other that the stippling on the octagonal barrels, that is the crudest workmanship I've ever laid eyes on....ever. Makes an Elsie look refreshingly crisp and built by the hand of God.
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: Now This is Different - 02/17/12 03:09 AM
The reason you don't see many of these is they are UGGLLY! Nothing flows together with this design - awkward angles, unexpected drop offs, broken lines. Stocked to the fences though!
Posted By: James M Re: Now This is Different - 02/17/12 04:36 AM
I didn't post this as "a thing of beauty and a joy to behold". I posted it as something decidedly different!
BTW: The barrels are fluid steel not damascus. I personally have never seen another example so I thought I'd share it with everyone. Love it or hate it it's definitely different.
Jim
Posted By: Pre-13 LC Coll Re: Now This is Different - 02/17/12 04:47 AM
The engraving pattern is very similar to an Ideal Grade L.C. Smith.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Now This is Different - 02/17/12 11:42 AM
Certainly uncommon. Someone who comes along to clay shoot I go to for blackpowder enthusiast sometimes brings a double side by side with full octagonal barrels. If I recall it is in 16 bore and I think French. That is the only other one I have come across. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Clif W. Re: Now This is Different - 02/17/12 01:16 PM
Originally Posted By: italiansxs
I didn't post this as "a thing of beauty and a joy to behold". I posted it as something decidedly different!
BTW: The barrels are fluid steel not damascus. I personally have never seen another example so I thought I'd share it with everyone. Love it or hate it it's definitely different.
Jim

Duly noted Jim, now this gun truly qualifies under that Vic Venters post Hand Made........with chisels!
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Now This is Different - 02/17/12 01:25 PM
Originally Posted By: lagopus
Certainly uncommon. Someone who comes along to clay shoot I go to for blackpowder enthusiast sometimes brings a double side by side with full octagonal barrels. If I recall it is in 16 bore and I think French. That is the only other one I have come across. Lagopus.....

Pictures from the next time you see it would be a great addition to the knowledge here on the site....
Posted By: Dingelfutz Re: Now This is Different - 02/17/12 01:34 PM
Kinda neat, too. Hearkens back to the old Northwest guns.
Posted By: tunes Re: Now This is Different - 02/17/12 01:43 PM
Here is a set of 14ga percussion barrels that are somewhat similar to Jim's. These are Damascus and fluted.

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com