doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: AWOLF Soldering Rib & Rebluing : I Need Advice - 02/14/12 04:49 AM
Can someone tell what is the most common method of bluing a double barrel.I'm thInking about a project that has a loose top rib but still holding pretty firm. If I solder it it, I should reblue it. What is the most common method of bluing a german sxs ?. I don't have a lot in this project and don't want to turn it into a money pit.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Soldering Rib & Rebluing : I Need Advice - 02/14/12 07:58 AM
Rust blue using one of the commercially available acid solutions.
If its loose it needs to come off be cleaned and go Back on again IMHO.
T
Originally Posted By: Ballistix999
If its loose it needs to come off be cleaned and go Back on again IMHO.
T

+1
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Soldering Rib & Rebluing : I Need Advice - 02/14/12 02:16 PM
+2
How loose? 1/4 to 1 inch I would try to repair, not relay. With great care in polishing the area to be soldered instant blue can be used. If you are talking several inches of loose rib do the whole job, relay, rust blue.
bill
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Soldering Rib & Rebluing : I Need Advice - 02/14/12 05:37 PM
The decision as to how to properly repair the rib should also include the overrall value of the gun, is the German gun a high grade piece or something very basic? It might not be very cost effective in the long run to have the ribs stripped, cleaned, polished, relayed and the barrels reblacked. The repair bill could be more than the gun is worth. Most gunsmiths who are good at relaying ribs will not do just either the top or bottom rib, prefering to relay both. I've had a loose rib repaired by Gunter Pfrommer, it was the bottom rib and was loose about 1/2" from the muzzle. Gunter opted to just re-solder in place and reblack the barrels. He explained to me how he accomplished this, sounded pretty time consuming and delicate. Cost was around $350. Most strip and relays with new barrel finish is going to cost $1000 on the high end, $400 on the low end. Hope this helps.

Dustin
+1 on Gunter. He repaired a set of barrels for me as well. Great work, fast turn around and well priced.
hello,
i do not have any mechanical or engineering knowledge re loose ribs but i do have many years experience around shotgun people and gunsmiths in the british trade.
i have always understood that a potential major fault
with a loose rib is the fact that rainwater or other undesirable
liquids may have seeped under the rib and possibly caused severe and dangerous unseen damage.
if i wished to use gun i would relay ribs rather than gamble with safety.
cheers
mrwmartin
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Soldering Rib & Rebluing : I Need Advice - 02/14/12 08:42 PM
Somehow, I got the impression that Awolf was going to do the work himself. If so, no consideration of cost comes into the equation.

As to how complicated it is to patch a partially delaminated rib, my opinion is that simply resoldering a short area is a quick and easy fix when no contaminants or corrosion is eminating from the crack. Some flux and heat is all that is needed. Protecting the surrounding blue in the area is as simple as using a crayon like stick or brush on solution to prevent solder adhesion. I would always clamp/wire the ribs during this process.
Posted By: AWOLF Re: Soldering Rib & Rebluing : I Need Advice - 02/16/12 04:35 AM
Well! First I want to say sanks to the responders. Secondly,
I hated like hell to send this thing back. It needed a triggerguard and buttplate that were not easy to locate at a fair price, not to mention it had no stock. I would have ended up dumping way more money into it than it would ever be worth.It was not a collector. I am / was looking for a shooter. I think I was much better off to pass on this one.Thanks
AWOLF...I believe you made the right choice.. the No Stock bit clinched it for me....
Keep lookin' smile
Franc
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com