doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: HammerGuy Parker Book - 02/08/12 11:44 PM
Looking for some advice on "the" definitive book on Parkers.

As many of you know, I'm an English gun guy, but I starting shooting with this gentleman who seems real passionate about Parker.

He had a beautiful old 16 the other day but when I asked about it, I was quickly lost in DH-this and something else-that.

Amazon has a few titles, so I'm looking for some feedback on a a couple y'all would suggest.
Posted By: Ben Thayer Re: Parker Book - 02/09/12 12:20 AM
The best conversation opener with a Parker guy is "Do you think you'll ever upgrade to an L.C. Smith?"

It works the other way around and you can substitute Fox in there as well.

Welcome to America
Posted By: tudurgs Re: Parker Book - 02/09/12 01:06 AM
Suggest you post this on the Parker site:

http://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php
Posted By: tudurgs Re: Parker Book - 02/09/12 01:07 AM
Suggest you post this on the Parker site:

http://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: Parker Book - 02/09/12 01:43 AM
If you want the definitive book on Parkers, there's only one choice---and that's The Parker Story by Gunther, Mullins, Parker, Price and Cote'. You can purchase this two volume tome through The Double Gun Journal for $295.00 ppd., they are also offering some slightly blemished sets (you'll scratch your head trying to figure out what makes them blems) for $195.00 ppd. Call the DGJ at 800/447-1658.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Parker Book - 02/09/12 02:15 AM
A really interesting Parker book that's a LOT cheaper is "Parker Guns Shooting Flying and the American Experience". Awfully good work and you'll learn enough to really impress your shooting bud.

Amazon has it: http://www.amazon.com/Parker-Shooting-Flying-American-Experience/dp/1574326112

It also has a lot of really interesting material about other makers, ammunition, shooting, etc. Used from $16.99. 5 star recommendation.

(Now dear readers, don't jump in front of Hammer Guy to buy the used book--he gets "dubs")
Posted By: GregSY Re: Parker Book - 02/09/12 03:06 AM
The Parker Story is THE book on Parkers....the rest are either outdated, incorrect, or the authors idea of how to stroke himself in public without being arrested.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Parker Book - 02/09/12 03:17 AM
Originally Posted By: GregSY
The Parker Story is THE book on Parkers....the rest are either outdated, incorrect, or the authors idea of how to stroke himself in public without being arrested.

Of course it is, Greg. But not everyone is willing to plunk down that amount of change for a book. I did and find it invaluable. But I also have every book published on Parkers. I liked all of them. But then, I'm a fanatical Parker fan.
Posted By: HammerGuy Re: Parker Book - 02/09/12 05:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
A really interesting Parker book that's a LOT cheaper is "Parker Guns Shooting Flying and the American Experience".

Thanks for the feedback. How about Ed Muderlak's other book; Old Reliable? Or the book; Parker: America's Finest Shotgun?
Posted By: HammerGuy Re: Parker Book - 02/09/12 05:17 AM
Originally Posted By: Ben Thayer
The best conversation opener with a Parker guy is "Do you think you'll ever upgrade to an L.C. Smith?"
It works the other way around and you can substitute Fox in there as well.
Welcome to America

I kinda wore that out with my references to London Best Guns. And, I never think it's too wise to antagonize a guy with a shotgun - and holder of the GPS. ;-)
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Parker Book - 02/09/12 09:49 AM
HammerGuy - I sent you a PM at 4:30 this morning. Cheers
Posted By: Mark Ouellette Re: Parker Book - 02/09/12 11:50 AM
I own ALL the Parker books. A good read and great first Parker book is Ed Muderlak's OLD RELIABLE.

Yes, THE PARKER STORY is the reference book Parker shotguns and the company and men that made them. It is however not a quick read. If you read OLD RELIABLE you will probably want to read more and more and...

Mark
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Parker Book - 02/09/12 12:07 PM
You can start with any of the lesser books on Parkers but if you are a serious Parker person you will eventually graduate to The Parker Story. It is an irreplacable reference to all things Parker. The authors were very careful not to indicate anything in The Parker Story is 'absolute' or the 'last word' because they knew that new information and data surfaces from time to time but the information in The Parker Story is what was known at the time of publication.
Posted By: GregSY Re: Parker Book - 02/09/12 12:14 PM
I own them all, too, but I seldom touch any but the Parker Story.
As noted above, sooner or later you'll need TPS so you might as well start with it.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Parker Book - 02/09/12 12:15 PM
"Parker Gun Identification & Serialization" is a very handy book to have. It has most of the Parker serial numbers listed along with fundamental configuration of each gun when it left the factory. It also has a section on identifying different era and grade Parkers.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: Parker Book - 02/09/12 03:39 PM
The only Parker book I have is "Parker: American's Finest Shotgun" by Peter H. Johnson. While far from being the definitive Parker reference, it can be bought a whole lot cheaper than the others, and will certainly give you enough information to impress your Parker pal.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Parker Book - 02/09/12 03:59 PM
Peter Johnson's book is like a very rough first draft written over 50 years ago. It is so full of incorrect information and ideas as to be only interesting as a Parker historical artifact. Similarly Larry Baer's Parker books, which do show some great Parker Bros. guns, are getting very out of date.

Ed's books are good reads, but are written like the lawyer he was. He presents all the facts to support his Parkercentric position and flat ignores all other facts. They are the best books to read.

The Parker Story is the diffinitive work. Anyone really interested in Parker Bros. guns needs a set, along with the several erata sheets.

From everything I've heard the serialization book is so full of transcription errors I've never purchased a copy.
Posted By: HammerGuy Re: Parker Book - 02/09/12 04:21 PM
Thanks for all the feedback.

Being a London Best guy, I have some moral opposition to the Parker tome.
I did however, order a couple others that I'll read and then hide behind some grouse fans or decoys in the library. ;-)

Thanks again!
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Parker Book - 02/09/12 06:46 PM
Originally Posted By: HammerGuy
I did however, order a couple others that I'll read and then hide behind some grouse fans or decoys in the library. ;-)

LOL, Hammerguy....

Enjoy your stroll down memory lane with the books you have ordered. I think if you'll keep American guns in context with the times and culture they were made in you'll come to appreciate them more for what they are: just good, honest guns made to withstand just about anything Joe Blow would shove into them. At the same time, on request of a buyer, the guns could be made with all the fit and finish of a fine London gun. Few were though. Keep us updated on your new journey, Hammerguy.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Parker Book - 02/09/12 06:54 PM
Gosh, I'm just the opposite. I have and shoot a good selection of London guns and am looking for more. However, my main collecting and research interests are in Parkers. Regardless of these opposite interests, I am pretty heavily invested in British gun books as well as Parker books.
Posted By: Mills Re: Parker Book - 02/09/12 08:58 PM
The Parker Story is a must for any Parker collector, in my humble opinion
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: Parker Book - 02/09/12 10:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Researcher
Peter Johnson's book is like a very rough first draft written over 50 years ago. It is so full of incorrect information and ideas as to be only interesting as a Parker historical artifact.

Hey! I have an artifact! Cool!
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Parker Book - 02/10/12 12:08 AM
Originally Posted By: HammerGuy
Thanks for all the feedback.

Thanks again!

Have it your way... you're only cheating yourself.

Conversely, I have yet to break down and buy a "London Best" book and very likely never will.
Posted By: HammerGuy Re: Parker Book - 02/10/12 05:18 AM
Originally Posted By: eightbore
Gosh, I'm just the opposite. I have and shoot a good selection of London guns and am looking for more. However, my main collecting and research interests are in Parkers. Regardless of these opposite interests, I am pretty heavily invested in British gun books as well as Parker books.

It's this diversity, and willingness to share, that seems to make this forum so fun and valuable.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com