doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Hoof Iver Johnson Hercules grade - 12/31/11 08:35 PM
Just saw one for the first time at the local gun shop, and there is a change in the barrels at the end of the chambers. They almost looked sleeved?

I never saw one before is that a quirk of these guns?

Thanks,
CHAZ
Posted By: Researcher Re: Iver Johnson Hercules grade - 01/01/12 03:20 AM
I don't recall ever seeing mono-bloc type barrels on an Iver Johnson Hercules.

In U.S. made doubles the early J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. doubles had such barrels --

and N.R. Davis made barrels that way --

Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Iver Johnson Hercules grade - 01/01/12 04:24 AM
Yes- and what feature of this I.J. "work-horse" double is the "Hooded comb"--man, their ad and copy writers must have been doin' some serious doobie at work to come up with that name- You want to see hoods with combs- check out the 1978 movie "Grease" but on a shotgun, huum????
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Iver Johnson Hercules grade - 01/01/12 02:00 PM
Is that IJ-speak for fluted comb??
Posted By: Hoof Re: Iver Johnson Hercules grade - 01/01/12 02:56 PM
The barrels look just like those in the picture, a little bit of engraving right where they are threaded in. It is marked Iver Johson, Hercules. If I get back down I will try and get a pic or two.
CHAZ
Posted By: Researcher Re: Iver Johnson Hercules grade - 01/01/12 04:39 PM
I just did a little surfing on GunsInternational, and apparently, just like J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co., Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works started out making their doubles with mono-block barrels and later changed to chopper lump. This one at the Cabelas in Billings looks pretty nice.

Posted By: Hoof Re: Iver Johnson Hercules grade - 01/01/12 04:49 PM
That looks exactly like what I saw, although not in that condition. The one for sale in town is "project grade" but all in one piece and functional. It appears to be a little loose on face as I can get a little wiggle side to side. It is priced at $450.
CHAZ
Posted By: keith Re: Iver Johnson Hercules grade - 01/01/12 07:56 PM
"project grade", "loose on face", "$450.00". Run away quick.
Posted By: Hoof Re: Iver Johnson Hercules grade - 01/01/12 08:57 PM
I thought that seemed a little harsh, but I didn't know if they were particularly rare.
CHAZ
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: Iver Johnson Hercules grade - 01/01/12 09:47 PM
Yep, I think they are almost double of what it should be if it's a project gun.
Posted By: steinauge Re: Iver Johnson Hercules grade - 01/02/12 05:11 PM
I have an I.J Hercules in pretty decent shape . It must be the later version as it doesnt have the monoblock bbls. I have seen very few of these guns in Florida at least and I have been digging through gunshops here for the last 45 years or so.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com