doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ohiosam How to make new felt look old - 12/10/11 02:14 AM
I recently picked up an original case for a shotgun. There a couple of places I want to replace some of the felt. Of course after 90 years the original green felt is faded and dirty. Are there any tricks to make new felt fade?
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: How to make new felt look old - 12/10/11 03:06 AM
Direct sunlight.
Posted By: ohiosam Re: How to make new felt look old - 12/10/11 01:13 PM
I was afraid that would be the recommended method. This is northeast Ohio were sunshine is a rare commodity grin
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: How to make new felt look old - 12/10/11 02:24 PM
It may be easier to find a replacement fabric of the same quality and texture as the original, but in a much lighter color or maybe white or off white . You can then darken it with dyes as needed.
Posted By: gunman Re: How to make new felt look old - 12/10/11 03:30 PM
Just let it get splashed with oil ,handle with dirty hands ,let the elements get at it for 60 or 70 years and it will look just fine. THats the long term method . You could try rubbing it with a scouring pad to simulate ware . Try washing a sample or two with a litte bleach or strong house hold cleaner to fade it before rou fit it . Trial and error I'm afraid .
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: How to make new felt look old - 12/11/11 03:15 AM
Why don't you just reline the entire case with new felt.
Steve
Posted By: Chuck H Re: How to make new felt look old - 12/13/11 12:52 PM
UV light. Bleach.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: How to make new felt look old - 12/13/11 01:34 PM
Try putting a piece of felt in a closed box with a saucer of laundry bleach and check it every few hours. It may take a few days and several saucers of bleach, but the chlorine fumes given off from the bleach may just do the trick.
Steve
Posted By: ohiosam Re: How to make new felt look old - 12/13/11 03:10 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll experiment.

If I try to reline the case how do I save the maker's label?
Posted By: Chuck H Re: How to make new felt look old - 12/13/11 04:41 PM
If you use bleach, be sure to rinse it all out thoroughly. Even fuming will leave some in the fabric.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com