doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: treblig1958 More good stuff. - 10/22/11 05:21 AM
"...we all three dismounted, and, drawing our rifles from their holsters, we looked to see if the powder was up in the nipples, and put on our caps. While this was doing the lioness sat up, and showed evident symptoms of uneasiness. She looked first at us, then behind her, as if to see if the coast were clear; after which she made a short run towards us, uttering her deep-drawn murderous growls. I had given Stofolus my William Moore rifle, with orders to shoot her if she should spring upon me, but on no account to shoot before me. Kleinboy was to stand ready to hand me my James Purdey rifle, in case my two-grooved John Dickson should not prove sufficient."

"I was accompanied by Isaac, who was mounted on the Old Grey and carried my clumsy Dutch rifle of six to the pound. At last the buffaloes suddenly pulled up, and stood at bay in a thicket within TWENTY YARDS (my capital letters) of me. I hastily loaded my John Dickson rifle, which I scarcely completed when Isaac rode up and inquired what had become of the buffaloes, little dreaming that they were standing within twenty yards of him. I answered by pointing my Dickson across his horse's nose and letting fly a sharp right and left barrel at the two buffaloes."

From "A Hunter's Life in South Africa"
by
R. Gordon Cumming
June 1850

Some makers don't need for their guns to talk it is all written down for us. smile
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: More good stuff. - 10/23/11 01:13 AM
That's what I'd call a "tense moment" for certain.

DLH
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: More good stuff. - 10/23/11 01:57 AM
There's more coming!!! smile
He really liked that John Dickson double rifle of his and used it frequently but the Purdey was always his back up rifle.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: More good stuff. - 10/23/11 02:58 AM
Originally Posted By: treblig1958
"I answered by pointing my Dickson across his horse's nose and letting fly a sharp right and left barrel at the two buffaloes."

Sounds a little melodramatic to me and the horse....
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: More good stuff. - 10/23/11 03:43 AM
Melodramtic, possibly. I just wanted to bring to people's attention how long these English makers have been operating in the most dangerous of environments. Twenty yards Joe from two wounded cape buffaloes? That takes a lot of guts don't you think?
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: More good stuff. - 10/23/11 04:06 AM
You think the horse was mad after Lord Cumming let loose both barrels of his Dickson across his nose ?

Posted By: treblig1958 Re: More good stuff. - 10/23/11 04:10 AM
If the horse got mad then he probably would have shot it too.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: More good stuff. - 10/23/11 04:16 AM
Probably dreamed it all while dry firing his fabled Dickson from his wooden rocking horse in the Castle....
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: More good stuff. - 10/23/11 04:18 AM
Be a whole lot safer. smile
Posted By: Salopian Re: More good stuff. - 10/23/11 06:06 AM
HomelessjOe,
I shoot Pheasants with his Grandson, Colonel Gordon Cumming, I'll ask him if Granddad was a dreamer.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: More good stuff. - 10/23/11 02:35 PM
Not to mention all of the samples of wild life he brought back from Africa to be displayed.
"Returning to Britain in 1848, he devoted himself to writing and in 1851 a selection of his hunting trophies went on display at the Great Exhibition at Crystal Palace."

Like I said more coming for you English gun fans!!! smile
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: More good stuff. - 10/29/11 01:32 AM
treblig - You got me psyched up for a quick addition to my winter reading. I found his book "A Hunter's Life in South Africa" and it came in the mail today. Volume 1.

We've got our first winter storm coming in tomorrow night into Sunday - 6" - 12" predicted, so I'm all set to start off my winter reading with this book.

Do you have both volumes? It was tough finding a copy of this first volume. Which were you quoting from?
Posted By: Chuck H Re: More good stuff. - 10/29/11 05:37 AM
...ol' Issac woulda likely ended up on his keester, if this actually happened. Regardless of how well trained a horse is to gunfire, blasting a big bore blackpowder gun across his nose will get a violent reaction and a gunshy horse.
Posted By: pod Re: More good stuff. - 10/29/11 12:25 PM
if nothing else i really like the way they wrote back then. they tend to draw you into the hunt.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: More good stuff. - 10/29/11 01:47 PM
Marc, I have both volumes in one book off of Amazon, same title. I couldn't find the two volume set so I went with the one I have. You probably have the better of the two sets.
I know what you mean Pod!!! You have to admit, the English, they know how to build a double and they know how to write!! smile
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: More good stuff. - 10/29/11 09:36 PM
Pod, I'm also paraphrasing from his book so his actual writing is a whole lot better then my re-write. I don't know if I can actually quote from the book and violate any copywrite laws on Dave's site.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com