doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: hammerback Famars Avantis 20ga. - 09/10/11 11:08 PM
My pinnacle gun.

Posted By: chopperlump Re: Famars Avantis 20ga. - 09/10/11 11:24 PM
Gorgeous!!!!! Wish I had enough dough to upgrade from my beloved old Niro Specials. Chops
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: Famars Avantis 20ga. - 09/11/11 01:38 AM
Very nice shotgun. Wait, I have to wipe the drool off my face.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Famars Avantis 20ga. - 09/11/11 03:23 AM
Hammerback, beautiful gun!! Were you hand fitted for that gun and if so did you have to go to Italy to be fitted?
Posted By: RCC Re: Famars Avantis 20ga. - 09/11/11 06:50 PM
Her kissing cousin. Both beauties.

How long did it take you to get yours, Sir?
Posted By: hammerback Re: Famars Avantis 20ga. - 09/11/11 11:31 PM
The gun I have was located with a dealer. It was built in 2007 and is in wonderful shape. I know how long a gun can take from Famars as I own an Excalibur Round that was factory ordered. I was told by Marco that my Avantis was send to Dewing's in Fla. Although the barrels are marked British Sporting Arms underneath. If you look closely, there are 7 hidden faces , done in the grotesque style of engraving.I would love to see more of your gun, if you wouldnt mind. The one I have is the only one I've ever handled. Is your's a 20 or 28? I just bought it the other day an have yet to shoot it. Paul
Posted By: RHD45 Re: Famars Avantis 20ga. - 09/11/11 11:36 PM
That's a gun that would be worth working a lot of weekends for.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Famars Avantis 20ga. - 09/12/11 12:04 AM
I have never seen a gun with engraving inside the lock! What a piece of workmanship.

Congrats on a fine gun.

Pete
Posted By: RCC Re: Famars Avantis 20ga. - 09/12/11 10:37 AM
Hammrhead,

My apologies for misleading you. That was not my intentions posting that photo.

The gun is not mine. She belongs to a friend of mine, who most graciously offered her to me to shoot while up here last week to hunt with me.

I posted it because of the similarity of the engraving.

It took him well over a year before she was delivered. He received a phone call from the new investor a couple of months ago and she was delivered a week or so after the investor promised him she would be.

He chose an engraving he like from a H&H he had seen in London. It features cherubs, and other mythical figures I don't know the names of. They are delicately placed on the leaves and on the vines of the engraving. Their eyes and the triangular tips of their tails are highlighted with gold.

The little gun is a 20 gauge, dressed with truly exhibition grade wood. She is as delightful to shoot as she is to look at.
Posted By: C. Roger Bleile Re: Famars Avantis 20ga. - 09/13/11 11:43 PM
Hammerback,

Who did the engraving on your gun? The signature should be near where the triggers come through the trigger plate.

In the pictures the engraving appears to have exceptionally deep background relief for an Italian gun.

Thanks,

Roger
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Famars Avantis 20ga. - 09/14/11 01:24 AM
Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Famars Avantis 20ga. - 09/14/11 12:17 PM
Beautiful guns.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com