doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: R.C. beretta folding single - 05/18/11 08:42 PM
Anyone have any experience with the Beretta "Companion" folding single, comments?

Not a double but, still a hinge action gun.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: beretta folding single - 05/18/11 09:29 PM
Everybody needs one, if only for the 'cool factor'. I think they're pretty well built and at least do not have a hammer. Mine has a crossbolt safety on the trigger guard. When you fold one over on itself it fits into a pretty small storage space.

They do kick a lot though, especially the 12ga. Mine's a 20ga and it kicks too. I think it weighs about four pounds...Geo
Posted By: Franchi Re: beretta folding single - 05/18/11 10:14 PM
Hi R.C.:

I have one in 12 gage. I bought it for a grouse gun but so far all that I killed was 7 pheasants with 7 shots.

I paid $50.00 for mine and it was like new. When I got it home, I got my pipe cutter out and cut the barrel to 24". It had been a 30" full choke barrel that I could very little use for!

I did attempt to shoot a round of singles at the skeet field but gave up after station 3! For some reason it was not fun to shoot skeet with a 4.25 lb.gun! LOL What is really funny, is that it is chambered for the 3" shell! I have not shot any 3" shells in mine but maybe someday.

I was looking for a gun like this because it was hammerless and had a sliding tang saftey which I find nice to have on a hunting gun. I like to hunt pheasants over my pointer with it and perhaps someday, I may find a place that has some grouse.

If you find one of these guns, by all means get it as it is a real hoot to use!

Good luck.

Leomat
Posted By: popplecop Re: beretta folding single - 05/18/11 10:39 PM
Mine is a 410 full choke. Never weighed it but probably in the 4 lb. range. With 3" shells one can feel it. Some years back I paid a $100 for mine.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: beretta folding single - 05/18/11 11:30 PM
My first gun, purchased for me the Christmas I was 14, by dear old Mom. Mine has a vent rib, 30" barrel and a full choke. My Dad, who knew little about shotgunning, insisted I put a recoil pad on it. I wish I hadn't. Another thing he made me do was store the gun in a dry fired condition, but, folded, so, the front wood has a gouge or two in the slot from the under lever being jammed into it.
Dad was a lot better rifleman than shotgunner.
I fed it a 3" round about once, on a goose hunting trip, swore I'd never do that again, and missed the goose. I do use it in years that we have enough snow to snowshoe in, for grouse hunting from snowshoes-this is mostly theoretical hunting, but, the gun is light, and long enough to make a good balance stick as I walk.
You don't need more than one round, or, a heavy load for this type of hunting, but, a sense of humor helps.
The gun has never been any trouble. I read somewhere that copies exist with really bad triggers, but, my gun isn't one of them.

Good Luck,

Best,
Ted
Posted By: PeteM Re: beretta folding single - 05/19/11 02:00 AM
According to the catalogs, it is based on a 1922 patent. It was redesigned in 1930.

In the 1932 catalog there are 3 models, the 1012 - 265 lira, 1013 - 330 lira and the 1013 bis - 600 lira with "acciaio Krupp o Poldihutte" barrels. They also had a model with a sidelever, Cockerill steel for 350 lira.

At one point, I believe in the late 50's or 60's they gave it the name Vittoria. A name they seemed to pass around to various guns over the years.

Pete
Posted By: 2holer Re: beretta folding single - 05/19/11 12:48 PM
I have a 16 made in 1950 at 4 1/2 Lb. with a very small splinter FE; shoots to POA. It does have P. Beretta on it.

Have another 16 Companion, imported by Eagle made in the 60s. If it wasn't made by Beretta, it is a clone. Couldn't find any marks indicating Beretta. It weighs 5 1/2 lb. with a little bigger FE.

Here's what I think is the maker's mark. The letters are MAVI. Anyone recognize it.

Posted By: R.C. Re: beretta folding single - 05/19/11 01:02 PM
I've just started looking for one at the usual sites, but it appears from previous auctions/ads that prices have inflated considerably, I suppose the vast majority are sitting in closets waiting for a trip to the pawnshop.

It seems I'm always getting interested in something after the price has doubled. Look at what Colt Diamondbacks fetch and you'll see what I mean.
Posted By: PeteM Re: beretta folding single - 05/19/11 02:39 PM
Mavi was a gun maker located in Salvinelli. I belief they eventually became Armi Salvinelli.

Pete
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: beretta folding single - 05/20/11 01:20 AM
One will turn up. I noticed a few over on gunbroker a while back with silly prices-they had been there for years, I think.
Somewhere between $75 and $175 is about right.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: PeteM Re: beretta folding single - 05/20/11 01:47 AM
There is one on Gunbroker at the moment. A 410 with the name Vittoria on it.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=230813171

Pete
Posted By: Dick_dup1 Re: beretta folding single - 05/20/11 11:44 AM
Way too light in 12 gauge for anything. A waste of money.
I purchased one in the 1970's for my wife. Not a good decision. It's gone, that should tell you something.-Dick
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: beretta folding single - 05/21/11 04:39 PM
Way too light in 12 gauge is a pretty broad statement, Dick-mine spent some time behind the seat in a Mazda 2200 pickup, where it was put to excellent use. Recoil is no problem with the Winchester Featherlites, which, weren't available when you bought yours for your wife-bet she would like using the gun today with that ammunition.
You either need a handy, folding shotgun, or, you don't-If you don't, then it is a waste of money. If you do, there isn't any other single shot that compares, quality wise, to those Italian folders.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: R.C. Re: beretta folding single - 05/30/11 06:06 PM
Anybody with a 12, what does yours weigh? From a Beretta ad it specified 2.5 gr, which, if that translates to 2.5 kg, about 5 1/2 lbs.
Posted By: 2holer Re: beretta folding single - 05/30/11 08:18 PM
My 16 weighs 5 lb 9 oz. A 12 could weigh the same because the 16 was probably made from a 12 barrel blank.

Posted By: R.C. Re: beretta folding single - 05/31/11 12:07 AM
Nice gun, even figure in the stock!

Is the receiver coin finish or an alloy?
Posted By: 2holer Re: beretta folding single - 05/31/11 12:16 AM
Not sure
Posted By: R.C. Re: beretta folding single - 07/21/11 09:02 PM
I picked up one in 20 gauge on GA, almost new condition, no importer's stamp, must have made it here in some G.I.'s duffle bag. Weighs a little over 4 1/2 lbs.

We went to the skeet field yesterday, my 8 year old son smashed the low house bird at the #1 station with it and can't wait to go back.

Recoil is manageable with .410 1/2 oz. (chamber insert) and 5/8 oz. handloads. 1 oz. factory loads will loosen fillings. Neat little gun, balanced and proportioned well for a child.

Thanks to all posters for your input.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: beretta folding single - 07/21/11 09:23 PM
The receiver finish on mine is satin chrome. Good Luck with your new gun. Great for what they are intended.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Mike A. Re: beretta folding single - 07/24/11 02:55 PM
Ted, I hear you about upland hunting on snowshoes! Have hunted Huns on the Palouse Prairie that way and grouse in NYS "heart attack factories". Excellent exercise, assuming you survive. Safe gun handling a challenge--you need four hands! Check your choke(s) for snowpack after falling each time.....
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: beretta folding single - 07/24/11 03:24 PM
I haven't been in a few years, when the dogs start getting old (My English Setter is 11) it gets to be pretty hard on them. I took the Gordon Setter I owned out snowshoe grousing when he was 13, and he slept for about three days afterward.
Several times I checked his pulse. He had me worried.
I had the right gun along, however. The folding 12s with 30" barrels are great circus balance poles.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: beretta folding single - 07/25/11 06:15 PM
Cabelas' Scarborough had one of the Beretta folders in 20 ga out on the used rack for a couple hundred or so. I gave it a minute's look yesterday when I was there, but not a hard-enough look to remember the price. Seemed to be in OK shape but, the way they had the cable tie on it, I couldn't look down the barrel or otherwise open it. Didn't interest me (but that's just me) but it was wicked light and seemed well-made.

I suppose that in .410 it would be a nice camp gun for whacking red squirrels and porcupines causing trouble and in 20 might make a nice behind-the-seat grouse gun. probably a good gun for starting a kid, too, b/c it's so light. But I think it would be too light for extended hunting.

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
... I took the Gordon Setter I owned out snowshoe grousing when he was 13, and he slept for about three days afterward. ...

Since when has a Gordon of any age ever passed on a chance to sleep? Mine (8 1/2) winds up taking about 5 naps a day and sleeping all night, breaking them up to bark convincingly at the neighbor's cat or the postman. And has done this for years.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: beretta folding single - 07/25/11 09:05 PM
Mine used to come to work every day with me, and after the "incident" I couldn't rouse him to get in the truck and go.
He just stayed home and slept. I would come home for lunch, and he wouldn't stir. THAT was unusual. After about three days, he became himself again. He was an old dog at that point, that much exertion was likely too much.
I try to watch them closer, now. I don't want to kill 'em.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: beretta folding single - 07/25/11 09:45 PM
Busting through snow is hard work at any age.

Mine would be great for "take your dog to work" but for her habits of slobbering, flinging slobber, face-planting on the most expensive set of clothing in the room and butt-sniffing from the front. She's a real snuggler, and that's her way of "asking" for a snuggle, but it just wouldn't do in a professional office (or just about any workplace, for that matter).
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: beretta folding single - 07/25/11 11:42 PM
My dog could sleep with a Heidelberg Speedmaster 40" 8 color sheetfed printing press, running wide open, about two yards away from him. That is a challenge, but, he made it look easy. They are different dogs when they report to work every day, and are surrounded by people, and their work, for a 40 hour shift, better dogs, I believe. He lived to be 15, was well behaved to everyone in the shop, and was the best hunter I've ever had, a good guard dog (too good, actually, but, that's a different story) and I turned down several offers to sell him.
At any rate, I don't own that dog, or have that job any longer. Such is life.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: cgs Re: beretta folding single - 09/24/11 01:03 AM
Gentlemen,

Here is a custom Beretta Companion that we just finished up. Something a little different!

http://www.classicgunstocks.com/Beretta_Companion.php

Best, Dan
Posted By: 2holer Re: beretta folding single - 09/24/11 06:51 PM
Velly, velly nice............but where's the checkering?
Posted By: cgs Re: beretta folding single - 09/24/11 07:59 PM
I know!!!! My checkering hand was quivering....... The client specified shaping similar to factory (except no grip cap and round forend nose), no stain and no checkering.

Best, Dan
Posted By: 2holer Re: beretta folding single - 09/24/11 11:45 PM
You mean the other hand was holding the checkering hand back? grin
Posted By: cgs Re: beretta folding single - 09/25/11 12:56 AM
Exactly! Self-control won this round..... grin
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com