doublegunshop.com - home
I bought this on impulse recently and it is en route to me now. I bought it because I had not seen one before and it looked like an interesting little game style gun.
Its stamped nitro proof and seems to have 2 3/4 chambers. A little reserch turned up this story http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227109 It seems it is a rare thing in America. That would probably make it super rare in Australia.
Its well used, but apparently locks up nicely with a very user friendly, point-able design.

It looks much like my english game guns. Its not as tidy as the one in the link, with some damaged screws and barrels that have been scraped to remove pitting.

So is it rare? and is it worth much? I bought it as another sxs to pile into the safe, but on reading the story in the first link, this seems to be a special gun.? Thoughts?
$50 bucks smile
FN sxs are not common in this country, but I wouldn't call them all that rare either. I'm sure there are more of them floating around in Europe. One will pop up, every now and then, on some dealer's inventory. It has a good name, but it's not worth a lot due to the fact that it's a very basic gun (plain, unengraved) and shows a fair amount of wear--and is somewhat tampered with.

If it's factory 2 3/4", one of the proofmarks should read 12-70.
Roy, they ae a nice gun. I have one in 16 ga. that has 2 9/16" chambers and 30" Krupp steel barrels. It has the same markings as yours on the bottom of receiver.
If yours is like mine, the hinge pin has a cover plate that is screwed on, take it off and the hinge pin is also slotted to remove easily. In the front of the receiver there is a set screw that holds the hinge pin in placve, loosen it and you can rotate it if you gun is off the face. Then just use a drill to spot another hole, replace set screw and put hinge pin cover on.

Mine also has a monte carlo stock, side clips and Greener type cross bolt. Plus it weighs 6 lbs. 1.8 oz with a Pachmayer recoil pad, which I don't care for.
How bad can that be for an inexpensive but well made gun.
I have one in 16 gauge too.
It is a very nice,but very plain gun.
mine has 30" barrels and weighs 5lbs 15 oz.
I couldn't really see that much of the stock, but the little I could see in photo #2 (with the hand holding POW grip) it looks as if it might have some nice figure waiting to be released from decades of dirt and grime. I hope you're planning on refinishing the stock.
Steve
@ HomelessJoe - thanks............. I think.

@L.Brown - yes certainly plain, but hopefully handles nicely.

@JDW, thanks, when I have it I will have a look at what you describe.

@sxsman1 sounds like a nice little gun!

@Rockdoc - yes, this was a very low priced gun for me. I will have a play with it, and see what I can improve without a gunsmith.

Thanks for your help.
Roy, be sure and check for a proofmark indicating 2 3/4" chambers before you play with it too much--or else have the chambers measured.
I traded an FN two weeks ago, straight hand stock and most of the original bluing and received $600 in trade which made me very happy! Wildwood in Maine has one listed for $250, but the stock looks like a replacement.
In looking at the pictures again, yours has side clips also.
Like this smile
What I've read about them has been positive, as a durable, practical, sound gun.
http://www.amoskeagauction.com/83/23.html

Here is on coming up for auction tomorrow.
Someone is selling a 16g specimen with 68 cm (26.77 inch) barrels; does this barrel length sound original? This is far away so I cannot inspect the gun. Thanks.

With kind regards,
Jani
Jani:
See if they will weight the tubeset and of course provide an image of the touchmarks.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
For the ultimate book on FN pick up "Ars Mechanica" by Francotte and Gaier. It is a great book that explains the company history in depth. Some really rare photos as well.

Fabrique Nationale Oct 15, 1888
  • Albert Simmonis, p300 c200
  • Jules Ancion, p600, c200
  • Dresse-Laloux, p600, c200
  • M.A.L., p600, c200
  • Dumoulin Freres, p600, c200
  • Joseph Janssen, p600, c200
  • Henri Pieper, p1200, c200
  • Pirlot et Fresart, p600, c200
  • Credit General Liegeois, p600, c0
  • Nicolas Vivario, p300, c0
  • Auguste Francotte, p0, c200
  • Emil et Leon Nagant p0, c200
  • prefered shares 6,000 common shares2,000

Take the barrels off and look at the proof marks:
http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html

Pete
I'm afraid the seller will do nothing of the kind. Not even a single picture... At $200 I should probably just buy it and think about particulars later!?

With kind regards,
Jani
Yeah, for that you could weigh them and tell us how it pans out? Go ahead and dig up the fruit jar outback.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com